E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it poor style to drive with your parking lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 BMW 528i Space Gray | Premium Package | Sports Package | Navigation

anyone know how to make the LCI halogen Angel eyes run as DRL only without the high beam bulb on low voltage? Can this be coded?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by imagine
anyone know how to make the LCI halogen Angel eyes run as DRL only without the high beam bulb on low voltage? Can this be coded?
You turn off DRL and turn on your parking lights.

I know that's not what you asked, but it is what the thread is about. That's my only fix. I normally keep the lights knob on 3 with the DRLs off in iDrive. When I get in and want just the rings on I flip it to 1. I was just wondering if others thought this was an acceptable work around, or if driving with your parking lights on is no-no.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 528i Space Gray | Premium Package | Sports Package | Navigation

Originally Posted by BSLNoel

I know that's not what you asked, but it is what the thread is about. That's my only fix. I normally keep the lights knob on 3 with the DRLs off in iDrive. When I get in and want just the rings on I flip it to 1. I was just wondering if others thought this was an acceptable work around, or if driving with your parking lights on is no-no.
understand from your point, but if we can find a solution to not have to turn on parking lights and the angel eyes comes on whenever the car is on, that is a better solution.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by imagine
There is a thread that is saying that it needs to have your car coded to make your AE as your drl instead of your low powered high beams
https://5series.net/forums/topic/123...e-eyes-as-drl/
Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I have personally not seen a projector headlamp in an LCI and not be bi-xenon. It may exist but I am unaware. I don't keep up with these things. From the photo it appears that your projection headlamp has a halogen bub.
An "angel eye" is the ring.
You should have the option in your iDrive to enable DRL but you need to know which headlamps you have first because there are certain options for certain headlamps
It appears that DRL for you is like the pre-LCI E60 and like the older BMW's in general. You can only hit the low beam H7 bulb at low wattage. However, I am pretty sure that some custom coding could take care of this issue if you code it to have the AE as the DRL and not the low beam. You may have to put a few resistors in there too. Again, it depends on which headlamp setup you do have.

But let me point out....WHO cares about "styling" and what other people think. Do you live to impress or please others? Surely (and hopefully) you didn't buy a BMW to impress others.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

FWIW - position 1 is the only way I can turn on my foglamps without the lowbeams.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Do you live to impress or please others? Surely (and hopefully) you didn't buy a BMW to impress others.
I'm a skinny physicist who wears dark socks with shorts, the level to which IDGAF is disturbing to most people who know me.

Every niche community has their do's and don'ts though. As a rock climber you hide all of your technical gear inside your pack instead of clipping on the exterior...just something you learn when you immerse yourself in it. I just started the thread to see what people's opinion (here) was about driving around with your parking lights on. Part of me thinks the idea of it is dumb, but most of me thinks the rings look cooler (at some times of the day) than the high beams on low. IDK?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I'm a skinny physicist who wears dark socks with shorts, the level to which IDGAF is disturbing to most people who know me.

Every niche community has their do's and don'ts though. As a rock climber you hide all of your technical gear inside your pack instead of clipping on the exterior...just something you learn when you immerse yourself in it. I just started the thread to see what people's opinion (here) was about driving around with your parking lights on. Part of me thinks the idea of it is dumb, but most of me thinks the rings look cooler (at some times of the day) than the high beams on low. IDK?
lol. just do whatever you feel is good for you. every day people change. Sometimes you feel like it sometimes you don't. Because of the weather I barely drive the 5er much but I have bi-xenon with a non-LCI car and it behaves like yours. UNLESS i wanted to run wire and tap into something else that turns on when i start car but i don't want to do all that. I dont have the time anyway.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I have personally not seen a projector headlamp in an LCI and not be bi-xenon. It may exist but I am unaware. I don't keep up with these things. From the photo it appears that your projection headlamp has a halogen bub.
An "angel eye" is the ring.
You should have the option in your iDrive to enable DRL but you need to know which headlamps you have first because there are certain options for certain headlamps
It appears that DRL for you is like the pre-LCI E60 and like the older BMW's in general. You can only hit the low beam H7 bulb at low wattage. However, I am pretty sure that some custom coding could take care of this issue if you code it to have the AE as the DRL and not the low beam. You may have to put a few resistors in there too. Again, it depends on which headlamp setup you do have.

But let me point out....WHO cares about "styling" and what other people think. Do you live to impress or please others? Surely (and hopefully) you didn't buy a BMW to impress others.

All LCI headlight are projectors, you can tell the difference by looking at the headlights if you the inside is chrome looking then they are xenon if they are a dull gray they are halogen.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

My car is Pre-LCI, so I ride in Position 1 most of the time. I don't care if the eyebrows light up too, I like them.

...BTW All E60 Headlights look cooler than most other cars(non German) I see in traffic anyway. I was happy to see the new F01 7-Series LCI refresh to incorporate eyebrows similar to those of the E60

Quick Reply: Is it poor style to drive with your parking lights on?