E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My iDrive has died twice now

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thanks to you as well jspira. That's a great article.

My almost new 550i paired with my aged Treo 650 at least to the extent of sending and receiving calls, operating the mic and speakers, dialing on phone or iDrive screen,
but not showing address book -- can't have everything. After several days of talking on the phone, I noted that the voice controls no
longer are working though telephone is doing fine. I took it into BMW where it still is now three days later, waiting on a computer
tech in NJ.

SA tells me that using an incompatible phone will (or may) cause failure of the entire computer system. They were unable or unwilling to provide any details.
The statement was made that using incompatible phone could cause permanent damage.

I called BMW customer service national and received a similar answer. No one wants to tell me how the incompatible phone causes a system crash or
an even better question: why, if they know about it have they not coded to prevent the crashes.

And this business about permanent damage is really scary. I have several years to go on my warranty, Getting a new mobile phone is hardly out of the question.
But still, does anyone have any experience, knowledge, or insight ?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rickd_77' post='564917' date='Apr 20 2008, 09:33 PM
My thanks to you as well jspira. That's a great article.

My almost new 550i paired with my aged Treo 650 at least to the extent of sending and receiving calls, operating the mic and speakers, dialing on phone or iDrive screen,
but not showing address book -- can't have everything. After several days of talking on the phone, I noted that the voice controls no
longer are working though telephone is doing fine. I took it into BMW where it still is now three days later, waiting on a computer
tech in NJ.

SA tells me that using an incompatible phone will (or may) cause failure of the entire computer system. They were unable or unwilling to provide any details.
The statement was made that using incompatible phone could cause permanent damage.

I called BMW customer service national and received a similar answer. No one wants to tell me how the incompatible phone causes a system crash or
an even better question: why, if they know about it have they not coded to prevent the crashes.

And this business about permanent damage is really scary. I have several years to go on my warranty, Getting a new mobile phone is hardly out of the question.
But still, does anyone have any experience, knowledge, or insight ?
Thanks - I?m glad you liked the article.

Regarding the problems associated with using an incompatible phone, yes, it can crash the entire system (or at least enough modules so it looks like the entire system crashed).

I believe I mentioned this in my article where my friend Mr. Wang (screen name Beewang) managed to let his (junky) Samsung crash the iDrive of his new E93 cabriolet right as he was taking delivery of it at the BMW Welt.

The BMW techs at the Welt took the car away and one of them asked me (since I was assisting him), ,,you weren?t by any chance using a Samsung mobile, were you?``

I suppose it?s possible that a crash could cause enough damage to be construed as ,,permanent damage`` so even though this is a remote possibility, I would take the hint that your Treo 650 is giving you (limited functionality which changed into no functionality - a change which is more common than you think and is not at all indicative of a fault in the car) and use something that is known to be compatible.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 bmw 530i titanium silver premium and cold weather packages.... ready to do some minor work and still keep it sexy

oh god i hope this doesn't happen to me.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 535dAT //M

Originally Posted by slvr_bullet' post='564943' date='Apr 21 2008, 04:42 AM
oh god i hope this doesn't happen to me.
I have the same, got the software updated but it is still coming back. The car is only 6 month, been in two times for this and one time for repainting the trunk lid, due to rust!

What has happened with BMW? I have never had any problems before.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by chrisod' post='565003' date='Apr 21 2008, 01:57 AM
I have the same, got the software updated but it is still coming back. The car is only 6 month, been in two times for this and one time for repainting the trunk lid, due to rust!

What has happened with BMW? I have never had any problems before.
You are going to need a new CCC. I had the same problem and several re-programs did not cure it. Replaced CCC a couple of months ago and this seems to have fixed the issue. Keeping my fingers crossed. There is a SIB out there that recommends replacement.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='564939' date='Apr 20 2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks - I?m glad you liked the article.

Regarding the problems associated with using an incompatible phone, yes, it can crash the entire system (or at least enough modules so it looks like the entire system crashed).

I believe I mentioned this in my article where my friend Mr. Wang (screen name Beewang) managed to let his (junky) Samsung crash the iDrive of his new E93 cabriolet right as he was taking delivery of it at the BMW Welt.

The BMW techs at the Welt took the car away and one of them asked me (since I was assisting him), ,,you weren?t by any chance using a Samsung mobile, were you?``

I suppose it?s possible that a crash could cause enough damage to be construed as ,,permanent damage`` so even though this is a remote possibility, I would take the hint that your Treo 650 is giving you (limited functionality which changed into no functionality - a change which is more common than you think and is not at all indicative of a fault in the car) and use something that is known to be compatible.
I do appreciate the advice. Why though do you say it is "... not at all indicative of a fault in the car"? And since you are clearly a knowledgeable person, can you address at what level it is "more common than [you] I think" and even possibly why.

If there are many users with difficult iDrives and periodic crashes, that cannot be good for our favorite auto manufacturer.

The SIB pete540 mentions: might we have a copy or even a reference?