E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My iDrive has died twice now

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here after performing an upgrade (at 49k miles) , now I`m out of the warranty . If u want to get a quick fix , open the trunk , unplug the negative cable from battery for couple of sec , and you done.The only thing you have to set up is the hour and date.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

I had a similar situation happen yesterday.

I garage the car during our Canadian winter. She only goes out on dry days. Generally, she only sits for at most 10 days. Yesterday, on a major highway, the audio cut out and the screen went black. I drove for about 10 minutes more. Then the system rebooted itself. Dealer was closed and we have a new holiday on Monday. So I'll call them on Tuesday.

First time it's happened to me so it's a little spooky. When it happened the first think I thought was "what else is going to fail while I'm driving at 110 kph?"

I think my sw level is around 19 - maybe 21. Looks like that service bulletin that "tallers" posted my apply. Many thank "tallers".

Cheers
Old 02-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Members

I am having continuous repeats of this idrive blanking out for the past many months, and with numerous servicing by the dealer... it is getting super annoying, and I am getting worried, because my warranty is running very soon, and they haven't solved anything yet... any ideas guys? i am getting very desperate, and my car is going in again this coming week!!

thanks guys
Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by Almighty JungleBoy' post='532633' date='Feb 18 2008, 10:40 AM
I am having continuous repeats of this idrive blanking out for the past many months, and with numerous servicing by the dealer... it is getting super annoying, and I am getting worried, because my warranty is running very soon, and they haven't solved anything yet... any ideas guys? i am getting very desperate, and my car is going in again this coming week!!

thanks guys
Maybe you should ask for CCC replacement. This solved - to date - the issue for my 06 520d
Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Members

Thanks... i will try to ask them!!
What if they refuse to do that?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by rmcd' post='532525' date='Feb 17 2008, 09:52 PM
I had a similar situation happen yesterday.

I garage the car during our Canadian winter. She only goes out on dry days. Generally, she only sits for at most 10 days. Yesterday, on a major highway, the audio cut out and the screen went black. I drove for about 10 minutes more. Then the system rebooted itself. Dealer was closed and we have a new holiday on Monday. So I'll call them on Tuesday.

First time it's happened to me so it's a little spooky. When it happened the first think I thought was "what else is going to fail while I'm driving at 110 kph?"

I think my sw level is around 19 - maybe 21. Looks like that service bulletin that "tallers" posted my apply. Many thank "tallers".

Cheers
Failed twice more and finally took it to the dealer today. No fault codes recorded. Hmmm - maybe "tallers" SB doesn't apply. Regardless, they upgraded the CIP and claimed that they're 99% sure that'll fix the problem. Well... we'll see.

Menu's are a little different and the car "feels" different. Some may recognize Mr Scott saying that in an episode of Star Trek. Tough to put my finger on but not surprising given it got a reprogramming.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

Originally Posted by rmcd' post='551417' date='Mar 26 2008, 11:03 PM
Failed twice more and finally took it to the dealer today. No fault codes recorded. Hmmm - maybe "tallers" SB doesn't apply. Regardless, they upgraded the CIP and claimed that they're 99% sure that'll fix the problem. Well... we'll see.

Menu's are a little different and the car "feels" different. Some may recognize Mr Scott saying that in an episode of Star Trek. Tough to put my finger on but not surprising given it got a reprogramming.

Stay tuned.
Well I just dropped off my 04 545i again. iDrive was dead for 2 days. Came back this am on the way to the dealer, figures!! My Service manager said he thinks it's related to phones & bluetooth. He may be right. I had a Treo 650 which worked fine for over a year. A software update may have changed things whereby the pairing caused the crash. Who knows.

I just got a Blackberry 8820 and that paired ok, then the iDrive crashed. I also saw the SOS/Phone error with a slash through it + the car service icon.

I'm headed on a business trip so they'll have my car for a week. The guy said he's going to try to work with BMW to see if the CCC can be covered by warranty, even though my car is CPO.

Where can I find which phones are tested and validated with the iDrive? I tend to think that may be the issue. Has anyone had the iDrive crash & did not have a phone paired via bluetooth?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tallers' post='552983' date='Mar 29 2008, 09:36 PM
Well I just dropped off my 04 545i again. iDrive was dead for 2 days. Came back this am on the way to the dealer, figures!! My Service manager said he thinks it's related to phones & bluetooth. He may be right. I had a Treo 650 which worked fine for over a year. A software update may have changed things whereby the pairing caused the crash. Who knows.

I just got a Blackberry 8820 and that paired ok, then the iDrive crashed. I also saw the SOS/Phone error with a slash through it + the car service icon.

I'm headed on a business trip so they'll have my car for a week. The guy said he's going to try to work with BMW to see if the CCC can be covered by warranty, even though my car is CPO.

Where can I find which phones are tested and validated with the iDrive? I tend to think that may be the issue. Has anyone had the iDrive crash & did not have a phone paired via bluetooth?

Thanks.
I haven't tested the 8820 but it's likely that it's compatible (I'll get there soon enough) since all other BlackBerry devices built on that platform are compatible thusfar.

The best resource (in all modesty), the best resource is probably my article on the subject.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='552989' date='Mar 29 2008, 09:44 PM
I haven't tested the 8820 but it's likely that it's compatible (I'll get there soon enough) since all other BlackBerry devices built on that platform are compatible thusfar.

The best resource (in all modesty), the best resource is probably my article on the subject.

Here's the list:

http://www.wireless4bmw.com/phones2.html

Thanks for the article JSpira. Makes sense to me. I'm glad I replaced my Treo 650 with a Blackberry 8820. Hopefully all will be well once I get my car back.

PS. A perk was I test drove an 08 M3 while at the dealer today. SWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Members

Well I got my 545i back after leaving it at the dealer for a week. They replaced the CCC, part# 65-83-9-133-774, and covered it under warranty! I was surprised since I was told prior that the CCC was not covered under CPO. So far, 10 days later, the iDrive is still working fine.

The did hit me up for a new battery ($257.60 parts + $90 labor) but I was ok since they covered the CCC under warranty.

This can be a test case for BMW covering a CCC replacement under warranty for a CPO vehicle.

Quick Reply: My iDrive has died twice now