E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

holy shitttt

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Originally Posted by GsQ
let me ask maybe a possibly dumb question. where is this throttle response coming from by removing the charbroiler is it just more air whats the logistics here.
I don't think I could feel any difference in my v8- but I did like the intake sound better. I run a K&N filter and I'm sure that made a much bigger difference. But the point of more free breathing is always valid- why restrict in any sense if if does nothing to protect the car? And environmental exposure? Come on guys- there's no way in it's entire lifetime that this car will burp thru the intake in any quantity even approaching the losses from a single fill-up.

It's overkill.

If the gov't really wants to improve the environment they'd get rid of toll booths- imagine the pollution from all that unnecessary stopping, crawling and acceleration? Would love to see the data on that... But that's a different thread...
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Members

Well - after driving it today I felt a 62.7% increase in HP as well as gained 7.3 mpgs on fuel economy... Great mod But seriously - slight increase in throttle response. Not bad for a free 3 min mod. And no its not a "placebo"...
Old 03-31-2011, 04:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i Mpkg GT3 HEAVILY Modded.. Nearly all track T-Reg (Wife Mobile) R8 <- Soon

Excuse my ignorance.. But where is the Charcoal filter? I replaced the Air Filter with a K&N like filter when I put the RPI scoop on the front.. Is there another "restrictor" filter in the line there?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by dezenuts
i have a 525i (so weak) and whenever i hit the gas there is such a huge lag, but not anymore with the filter removal. what I'm thinking is people with more powerful engines don't feel it because their cars are already fast anyone agree?
Hello, I have a 06 525i as well. I did this mod yesterday after work, and I noticed a difference how it revs. I mean, it seems like it can get up to higher rpm quicker, the engine sounds louder... And I do think the car seems a little quicker.

...However, I've only owned my 5 for a week or so though.

But anyway, I plan on replacing my worn out air filter with a K&N this weekend.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Members

I have another question:

Is there another (size) paper filter (used in Europe?) which takes up the space used by the charcoal filter??
It seems with the charcoal out the filter will be smaller/louder. I imagine that they use the charcoal as a sub filter. Also is the K&N filter the same size as the combined??
Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 AM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

Originally Posted by franco5
Well - after driving it today I felt a 62.7% increase in HP as well as gained 7.3 mpgs on fuel economy... Great mod But seriously - slight increase in throttle response. Not bad for a free 3 min mod. And no its not a "placebo"...

where are you getting those numbers from
Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 AM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

Originally Posted by 007dt
Excuse my ignorance.. But where is the Charcoal filter? I replaced the Air Filter with a K&N like filter when I put the RPI scoop on the front.. Is there another "restrictor" filter in the line there?

You know where the air filter is on the right side of the engine if you are looking at it str8 on right. Ok lift open the air filter box and on the underside of the hood of the box is where the charcoal filter is. Stick a screw driver in the seem and pop out the clips that hold it in there and replace. LOMAG posted this back in the day it might be useful and it has pics

https://5series.net/forums/topic/217...ilter-removal/
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM
Members

I forgot about this mod. I got a new license plate cover yesterday, I will pop the hood and pull out the filter while putting on my cover and see if I feel/hear any difference in my 550.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by GsQ
where are you getting those numbers from
I think you missed the sarcasm.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Members

Hey guys, does the 08 535xi (N54) have this filter?

Quick Reply: holy shitttt