E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

holy shitttt

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

I can remember similiar threads dating back as far as 2006. I removed the additional filter a number of years ago. I heard no difference, saw no difference, I guess that means no difference although I might of had a slight uptick in MPG but even that is not concrete. Someone said it best, the placebo effect. If it did change the air mixture, I'm quite sure on board computer would compensate
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by GsQ
let me ask maybe a possibly dumb question. where is this throttle response coming from by removing the charbroiler is it just more air whats the logistics here.
try breathing through a towel. then fold the towel and try breathing through it. same principle with the engine. the intake air has to go through 2 filters with that charcoal filter. since bmw doesnt install this on the euro cars, i'm going to try it.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by dezenuts
To put this into scientific terms, the filter is like the cars boogers that needs to be taken out to help the car breath better
Good one!

Originally Posted by GsQ
Ok so after reading this last night what did i do this morning you may wonder????? I pulled the charcoal filter out (DUH!) which took about 1 minute. Upon starting the car you can hear the difference way more so than i thought. I simply expected it to be a touch louder but it is much more throaty especially at low rev 1 to 4k rpms. You cannot hear the difference really past that. As far as throttle response i dunno because i have rpi scoup with BMC filter and a SB v2 i might not be noticing it that much but maybe if i had neither i would notice it.

My only concern is that although more throaty it sounds like a quasi diesel engine now which i might not like. On top of that therussian is making me feel guilty about polluting the environment!!! So i dunno what im going to do it may grow on me im goning to continue to drive without it for now. DEFINITELY NOT THE PLACEBO EFFECT THOUGH try and see for yourself you can always put it right back in.
Sorry dude Don't feel bad. This is minute, compared to what mishandling of the Fukushima crisis will do to the planet...

Originally Posted by jrsamps
I can remember similiar threads dating back as far as 2006. I removed the additional filter a number of years ago. I heard no difference, saw no difference, I guess that means no difference although I might of had a slight uptick in MPG but even that is not concrete. Someone said it best, the placebo effect. If it did change the air mixture, I'm quite sure on board computer would compensate
LOL Yep, I've seen plenty of them over my years here too. I still haven't pulled the filter. I can offer this: if anyone in NYC has same-spec 530Xi - stick, stock ECU and stock exhaust, RPI scoop and BMC filter - and wants to remove the charcoal filter, let's meet up, flip a coin for who's filter we remove, take it out and drive cars back to back. If there's a noticeable difference, this should solve this issue once and for all.

BTW on V8 engines, I'd imagine, the difference is probably more noticeable, so staging an experiment like this on a pair of 545's or 550's might provide better information.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Dude non of you know what you're talking about...wanna know what happens when you take out the charcoal filter?

This:

Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

Originally Posted by turboawd
try breathing through a towel. then fold the towel and try breathing through it. same principle with the engine. the intake air has to go through 2 filters with that charcoal filter. since bmw doesnt install this on the euro cars, i'm going to try it.

good example i tried it with a bath towel i almost suffocated myself but you make a good point if its not on the euro models then it presumably is not completely necessary i guess. but im leaving it off for now thanks to you guys! maybe tomorrow if i have some time i will make a you tube to try and demonstrate sound difference with in and out.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

Originally Posted by Krozi
Dude non of you know what you're talking about...wanna know what happens when you take out the charcoal filter?

This:

you making me paranoid krozi!!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Krozi

This:

Is that what came up on your iDrive after installing the exhaust?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60/black sapphire metallic/auburn leather/heated front seats and steering wheel/premium package/premium sound package/sport package/shadow line trim/6 disc in dash/multi-contour front seats/sport suspension/comfort access/moon roof/ rear all around sun shades/park distance control front and back/adaptive xenon headlights/ navigation/ Aerodynamic kit/ carbon fiber roundels hood trunk and steering wheel/ 35% tint all around + visor/ racing dash license plate lights/ matte black grille/ invisabulb turn signals/ charcoal filter delete/ euro stickers/ weisslicht LED side markers

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Good one!

Sorry dude Don't feel bad. This is minute, compared to what mishandling of the Fukushima crisis will do to the planet...

LOL Yep, I've seen plenty of them over my years here too. I still haven't pulled the filter. I can offer this: if anyone in NYC has same-spec 530Xi - stick, stock ECU and stock exhaust, RPI scoop and BMC filter - and wants to remove the charcoal filter, let's meet up, flip a coin for who's filter we remove, take it out and drive cars back to back. If there's a noticeable difference, this should solve this issue once and for all.

BTW on V8 engines, I'd imagine, the difference is probably more noticeable, so staging an experiment like this on a pair of 545's or 550's might provide better information.
i have a 525i (so weak) and whenever i hit the gas there is such a huge lag, but not anymore with the filter removal. what I'm thinking is people with more powerful engines don't feel it because their cars are already fast anyone agree?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Is that what came up on your iDrive after installing the exhaust?
Hahah dude ALL the time
Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM
GsQ
Contributors

Originally Posted by dezenuts
i have a 525i (so weak) and whenever i hit the gas there is such a huge lag, but not anymore with the filter removal. what I'm thinking is people with more powerful engines don't feel it because their cars are already fast anyone agree?

i concur i tried to do a little test. I turned my sprint booster off completely drove the car down the street with the filter on, then took it off and felt a little reduced lag with SB turned off. When i turned it back on there is no difference at all because the SB is doing that for me. So i am left with just the sound. The guys who have 550 ora motorsport have no chance of feeling anything i dont think IMO but i have been known to be wring occasionally.

Quick Reply: holy shitttt