E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

holy shitttt

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I believe TAJARO is correct. A friend of mine is a BMW tech and I asked him about this mod... he verified that it is the quickest way to gain a little power and response but stressed it may be small. He recommended a cold air intake and this combined. I asked him about error msgs, and he said that every now and then someone gets a MAF sensor issue but its nothing steady.
No issues whatsoever after 2 years of driving without it....
Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I'm of the thinking that they put it there for a reason and if taking it out does nothing, why bother? With all the different responses here, I think there's a placebo affect going on.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

was the first thing I removed when I got the car home from the dealer. that was 52k miles and 3 years ago. not a single problem or check engine light since. our 745 had it, the 750 does not (or the PO pulled them but I doubt that.)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60/black sapphire metallic/auburn leather/heated front seats and steering wheel/premium package/premium sound package/sport package/shadow line trim/6 disc in dash/multi-contour front seats/sport suspension/comfort access/moon roof/ rear all around sun shades/park distance control front and back/adaptive xenon headlights/ navigation/ Aerodynamic kit/ carbon fiber roundels hood trunk and steering wheel/ 35% tint all around + visor/ racing dash license plate lights/ matte black grille/ invisabulb turn signals/ charcoal filter delete/ euro stickers/ weisslicht LED side markers

To put this into scientific terms, the filter is like the cars boogers that needs to be taken out to help the car breath better
Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60/black sapphire metallic/auburn leather/heated front seats and steering wheel/premium package/premium sound package/sport package/shadow line trim/6 disc in dash/multi-contour front seats/sport suspension/comfort access/moon roof/ rear all around sun shades/park distance control front and back/adaptive xenon headlights/ navigation/ Aerodynamic kit/ carbon fiber roundels hood trunk and steering wheel/ 35% tint all around + visor/ racing dash license plate lights/ matte black grille/ invisabulb turn signals/ charcoal filter delete/ euro stickers/ weisslicht LED side markers

Originally Posted by mookish
I'm of the thinking that they put it there for a reason and if taking it out does nothing, why bother? With all the different responses here, I think there's a placebo affect going on.
Cmon drive your car like how the Germans intended. Don't let the same creators of FORD (yuck) put shit in your engine!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

Ok so after reading this last night what did i do this morning you may wonder????? I pulled the charcoal filter out (DUH!) which took about 1 minute. Upon starting the car you can hear the difference way more so than i thought. I simply expected it to be a touch louder but it is much more throaty especially at low rev 1 to 4k rpms. You cannot hear the difference really past that. As far as throttle response i dunno because i have rpi scoup with BMC filter and a SB v2 i might not be noticing it that much but maybe if i had neither i would notice it.

My only concern is that although more throaty it sounds like a quasi diesel engine now which i might not like. On top of that therussian is making me feel guilty about polluting the environment!!! So i dunno what im going to do it may grow on me im goning to continue to drive without it for now. DEFINITELY NOT THE PLACEBO EFFECT THOUGH try and see for yourself you can always put it right back in.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by leese8080
No error message.

In fact - someone told me that the charcoal filters are excluded for the European delivery models. Members in Europe - Please chime in? - I could be wrong.
I believe all US model 535s (and other N54 models) do not have a charcoal filter.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Members

Well... I popped the hood, opened the air box, removed the carbon filter and started the car... It didnt sound any louder however I gotta admit you can most def feel the improved throttle response. I didnt take it for a spin, just rev'ed it in the drive way and holly shizz - there is quite a difference. Great little mod fellas. This forum continues to impress me more and more each day. Thanks to all - being new to BMW's you guys have certainly made it a fun transition...
Old 03-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by franco5
Well... I popped the hood, opened the air box, removed the carbon filter and started the car... It didnt sound any louder however I gotta admit you can most def feel the improved throttle response. I didnt take it for a spin, just rev'ed it in the drive way and holly shizz - there is quite a difference. Great little mod fellas. This forum continues to impress me more and more each day. Thanks to all - being new to BMW's you guys have certainly made it a fun transition...
Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

let me ask maybe a possibly dumb question. where is this throttle response coming from by removing the charbroiler is it just more air whats the logistics here.

Quick Reply: holy shitttt