E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help on how to add hp to 525

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arix
Hello everyone.

I guess it is one of the first posts.

I wanted to add that it is worth to get RPI Scoop, BMC Filter, some Exhaust ( I have only got installed Super Sprint back box)and ECU reflash. I have got 525i which originaly have 218 HP with all these mods I made 252 HP and I do feel difference before and after
what are we looking at here? is this two separate dynos with mods on/off? the disparity is only 5hp.

and how are you reading that as 252hp? i see like 205 maybe. that's rear wheel hp, which is about 10% less than flywheel. so if you want flywheel that's about 225hp, so from all your mods you got about 10hp (if 5hp from my previous comment isn't accurate). that is all assuming your car had exactly 215hp stock, which is almost certainly not the case as every engine is different and rarely meets the exact specs the manufacturer posts anyway.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
So I'm clear, I'm not suggesting that aftermarket products, like RPI, do not provide positive HP results. It's just very expensive to add 10-20whp to any NA motor. Full disclosure--I plan to buy the RPI ram-air kit and sprintbooster V2 (no HP gain).

I'm on the fence as it relates to exhaust.
i wouldn't say any NA motor. heads/cam swap is an easy 60+ hp on an lsx engine (corvette, camaro, etc). you could do that under a grand in price.

exhaust will definitely provide more power, but v6/i6's sound silly with aftermarket exhausts
Old 10-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuffluck
what are we looking at here? is this two separate dynos with mods on/off? the disparity is only 5hp.

and how are you reading that as 252hp? i see like 205 maybe. that's rear wheel hp, which is about 10% less than flywheel. so if you want flywheel that's about 225hp, so from all your mods you got about 10hp (if 5hp from my previous comment isn't accurate). that is all assuming your car had exactly 215hp stock, which is almost certainly not the case as every engine is different and rarely meets the exact specs the manufacturer posts anyway.
They did printed out two runs. There is nothing on or off.

Going from top to bottom. 2 top lines shows lb-ft, then other 2 lines shows engine HP, then wheel hp and the bottom one drag power. Dyno was done in 5th gear. I have no ideas how they calculate Engine HP and why is that bigg difference between Engine HP and Wheel HP.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Hello everyone.

I guess it is one of the first posts.

I wanted to add that it is worth to get RPI Scoop, BMC Filter, some Exhaust ( I have only got installed Super Sprint back box)and ECU reflash. I have got 525i which originaly have 218 HP with all these mods I made 252 HP and I do feel difference before and after
This graph does not even show the 218HP that you say you have stock LOL, unless there is a line made with invisible ink, this is worthless. And your claiming about a 35HP gain?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mookish
This graph does not even show the 218HP that you say you have stock LOL, unless there is a line made with invisible ink, this is worthless. And your claiming about a 35HP gain?
Look at the numbers on left on diagram which represent HP and numbers on right represents lb-ft.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Look at the numbers on left on diagram which represent HP and numbers on right represents lb-ft.
Then it looks like your're getting about 160HP to the ground which sucks. Better off buying a more powerful car than wasting money with scoops and such. You'll be lucky if the mods you listed even gave you +8 HP. Because if this is your souped up modded HP output of what you claim to be 35HP, you were running around with 125HP on the ground before. How did you even get anywhere lol?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

no i think 205hp is right, and 125 ft-lb of torque. the other numbers are probably A/F ratios.

flywheel horsepower means exactly what your engine puts out at the transmission--true engine power. rear wheel power means after the engine creates, say 300 hp, it has to somehow move your car. that means your engine moves your transmission, your transmission moves your driveshaft, your driveshaft moves your rear-end gears, your rear-end gears move your axles, and your axles move your wheels. your wheels are what they put on a dyno machine, so therefore the process of getting from your engine to the wheels is a loss of about 10% of your engine's power. manufacturer's rate cars based on their engine horsepower, not rear-wheel power.

based on your attached sheet, looks like you have approximately 225hp at the flywheel (rated). you maybe got ~10hp total from the modifications you did. if i am reading this graph right, though, you have some seriously low torque numbers. you should be around ~170. maybe i missed something though. btw, exhaust systems have been known to lower torque and increase hp. since they are correlated, it isn't a huge deal, but as someone mentioned before, modifying a motor doesn't always increase everything across the board.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
no i think 205hp is right, and 125 ft-lb of torque. the other numbers are probably A/F ratios.

flywheel horsepower means exactly what your engine puts out at the transmission--true engine power. rear wheel power means after the engine creates, say 300 hp, it has to somehow move your car. that means your engine moves your transmission, your transmission moves your driveshaft, your driveshaft moves your rear-end gears, your rear-end gears move your axles, and your axles move your wheels. your wheels are what they put on a dyno machine, so therefore the process of getting from your engine to the wheels is a loss of about 10% of your engine's power. manufacturer's rate cars based on their engine horsepower, not rear-wheel power.

based on your attached sheet, looks like you have approximately 225hp at the flywheel (rated). you maybe got ~10hp total from the modifications you did. if i am reading this graph right, though, you have some seriously low torque numbers. you should be around ~170. maybe i missed something though. btw, exhaust systems have been known to lower torque and increase hp. since they are correlated, it isn't a huge deal, but as someone mentioned before, modifying a motor doesn't always increase everything across the board.

This is bottom page which didn't fit when I took picture at first time. It states huge difference between Engine Power and Wheel Power. There is something wrong
Attached Thumbnails Help on how to add hp to 525-chart.jpg  
Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by turboawd
the scoop only helps at high speeds.
and how much $ for how much power gain? 10-20 horsepower?
RPi Scoop/BMC (5-7WHP) $184 / RPi Axle Back (7-10WHP) $799 / $595 (10-12WHP)

I hate to say it, but this is the truth. I've thrown a good bit of cash at NA mods on another platform and actually lost HP.

Forced induction is the way to get maximum value for you dollar. Too bad there is only one option for me and my 550i.....sell it and get an M5.
Sorry to hear that, but I'm positive that with RPi products you won't lose HP

So I'm clear, I'm not suggesting that aftermarket products, like RPI, do not provide positive HP results. It's just very expensive to add 10-20whp to any NA motor. Full disclosure--I plan to buy the RPI ram-air kit and sprintbooster V2 (no HP gain).

I'm on the fence as it relates to exhaust.
Hope to hear from you soon
Old 10-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

This is bottom page which didn't fit when I took picture at first time. It states huge difference between Engine Power and Wheel Power. There is something wrong
eh, i'm not following that and that doesn't follow your graph. you don't have any lines on the graph above 210. besides, engine power loses about 10% to the wheels; those numbers are WAY beyond 10%, so i think those numbers are very much wrong.

Quick Reply: Help on how to add hp to 525