E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got my recall letter in the mail today

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by justoracle
Does anyone have a pic of the part that was replaced by the recall? I took my car in last week, this weekend I looked in the battery area and everything looks the same????

What's worst is that yesterday while driving, the SOS symbol with the line across came on, I've never had this happened before. I used the SOS button and it called out just fine.

The change is not in the battery area, it's towards the back and center of the trunk. The positive battery cable: one end connects to the battery, the other connects to the back center of the trunk where there's a junction to connect it to the main positive bus that runs to the front of the car.

I get the SOS error once in awhile. I believe it could be due to the repeated openning and closing of the trunk which is causing it to "rub" on the cables making a short. There's a thread to look for a wire bundle near the trunk door hinge area and inspect the wiring.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

Thanks, I'll look for the thread on the SOS issue, maybe when they were working on the recall, they managed to make this cable now hit/rub on the trunk.

I'll take the trunk apart today again to see if I can spot the "new" part.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

You guys are starting to scare the shit out of me with all of the problems after the recall! I haven't taken mine in yet and I'm only waiting a little longer to install the new tires and have the dealer align the car while it's there. I've decide that I will leave the JB4 in MAPP 1 so they cannot read the OBD, they have absolutely no reason to be hooking up computers to my car. Besides, they already have pictures of the JB4 installed. But at least I might know if they are messing around in that area.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonyb635
You guys are starting to scare the shit out of me with all of the problems after the recall! I haven't taken mine in yet and I'm only waiting a little longer to install the new tires and have the dealer align the car while it's there. I've decide that I will leave the JB4 in MAPP 1 so they cannot read the OBD, they have absolutely no reason to be hooking up computers to my car. Besides, they already have pictures of the JB4 installed. But at least I might know if they are messing around in that area.

When I brought my car in for the recall, I watched them do it. They didn't hook anything up to the odbc port. All they did was check routine fluid levels as extra. Coolant, wiper fluid,etc. then they did what's needed for the recall. If you complain or mention some other issue, then they may hook it up.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

I received the notice about two weeks ago and the recall was done 3 days later. While at the dealership the SA suggested that the dealership was doing a complete auto inspection for free. After doing so, they found the the Stability control system was leaking oil and the alternator seal was leaking as well..

All it cost was a little over $3,000.00 to have the Cable connection checked. Thank God it was free
Old 07-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Members

My indy mechanic told me that once they do that recall, they update the system on your car as well. He was a mechanic for BMW in the bay for a couple years and said that they was their way of keeping the indy guys from working on BMWs. My indy advised me not to do the recall if my car was just fine for he won't be able to diagnose/work on my car with his computer anymore after the upgrade. Gonna take his advise and stay away from the stealership for a while.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C.KING714
My indy mechanic told me that once they do that recall, they update the system on your car as well. He was a mechanic for BMW in the bay for a couple years and said that they was their way of keeping the indy guys from working on BMWs. My indy advised me not to do the recall if my car was just fine for he won't be able to diagnose/work on my car with his computer anymore after the upgrade. Gonna take his advise and stay away from the stealership for a while.
Mine was completed about a month ago ... this battery connection is a very important safety recall - GET IT DONE!

took about an hour so I doubt that any software was updated because the last time they did that to my car it was a very lengthy (a full day) process. And, I'm sure you are aware there is current and pending legislation requiring car manufacturers to allow independent mechanics access to such things as your mechanic was worried about. Your indy is probably stuck on another urban myth.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Mine was completed about a month ago ... this battery connection is a very important safety recall - GET IT DONE!

took about an hour so I doubt that any software was updated because the last time they did that to my car it was a very lengthy (a full day) process. And, I'm sure you are aware there is current and pending legislation requiring car manufacturers to allow independent mechanics access to such things as your mechanic was worried about. Your indy is probably stuck on another urban myth.

+1. When I had mine done there were quite a good number of cars in line for the recall. The dealer doesn't have time to waste on upgrading software the car doesn't need. They want the car out of there ASAP. I watched them do mine and they didn't hook anything up to the car.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

I had mine done at Frank Keane BMW in Dublin, they gave me a free software upgrade while the car was in for the recall.