E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Good News

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by robg' post='255380' date='Mar 15 2006, 07:19 PM
It may be a legal issue. I do not know all of the details, but I belive there is a new law which requires a certain percentage of cars to have flat tire monitoring. It is my understanding that the BMW method on the current E60 does not qualify under the law. Thus the switch. Tire shops, for one, do not like the individual tire / stem monitors. Apparently, they break easily and then the owner and tire shop end up in a fight over whether the monitor was broken before or after the car was in the shop.
"NHTSA regulation states that you have to have direct method to monitor presssue", monitoring through wheel speed was not good enough.With the new system there will be electronic sensors mounted directly on the valve of each wheel that can detect a sudden or slow loss of air pressure and alert the driver of the pressure loss.
cheers
vern
Old 03-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

I think they need to do something to show which individual tire is losing pressure and by how much.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:59 AM
AEC
Members

While in some ways this will be a better system, it may bring new hassles for those of us who swap out to winter tires and wheels. I wonder how much it will cost for new sensors in each of the four wheels?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by vern' post='255635' date='Mar 16 2006, 05:48 PM
"NHTSA regulation states that you have to have direct method to monitor presssue", monitoring through wheel speed was not good enough.With the new system there will be electronic sensors mounted directly on the valve of each wheel that can detect a sudden or slow loss of air pressure and alert the driver of the pressure loss.
cheers
vern

This is good news, atleast for them who'll purchase a new E60.

The old (current) system is not good!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

Originally Posted by tomwid' post='255619' date='Mar 16 2006, 07:26 AM
Yes, you are wrong about the bed of nails theory. Adding new wheels and tires with equal pressure will set off the monitoring system. So your theory is out.

Runflats sound much louder when flat, also, you can tell that it's flat by looking at it.
On the current TPM system, it measures the rotational speed of the wheels/tires. If one should change abnormally, it sets off the alert. So you add new wheels and tires with equal pressures and reset the TPM, the monitoring system will not be set off. If you don't reset the system, then the rotational speed of the new set may differ enough to cause a warning. On the current system if all four lost pressure at the same pace I do not believe that it would sound the warning immediately until there was such a difference in rotational speed compared to when you first initialized the system.

Most people have said it is very hard to visually tell which RFT is actually flat, hence carrying a tire pressure gauge is usally a must if you're not driving fast enough for a noticeable difference in noise.