Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Availability - Tech Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like most of you, I?ve been frustrated with the lack of answers about the availability of Bluetooth technology (BT)on the E60. After calling my dealer and BMWNA more than 15 times for answers, I gave up and gained accessed to various engineering and service documents from BMW. This post is a summary of my findings on what is behind the delays in the availability of BT on the E60.

The issue is complex, so this post is long and will walk you through all parts of the E60 telephony system to understand the possible causes and solutions to this problem.

For the record, I am not related to BMW or any of it suppliers. I just an electrical engineer who loves Bimmers. I have been working in the tech industry for 20years and provided companies like Motorola the necessary gear to allow the IRIDIUM satellite phone system.

1) Legend

USA=USA and Canada
CCC/MASK = Audio Communication Computer (see previous post on Sirius for Details)
MOST = Media Oriented System Transport (a optical fiber interface to transport audio/video at 100Mbs to various components)
CAS= Car Access Module ( this is the control unit that is responsible for door locking/unlocking and keeping mileage/service data).
SVS: Voice Recognition System (Opt #620 ? Free with Nav Pro)

This post assumes that you understand what CCC, M-ASK and MOST are and do, if that is not the case, please review?

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/4933962-1.html

2) Telematics

2.1) Emergency Calls
Upon receiving a CRASH signal from the SGM (Safety Gateway Module=Airbag Controller) or if you press the SOS button, the TCU issues a call to service provider (BMW Assist) and transmits?
? location of vehicle (from GPS)
? time & direction of travel & if vehicle is still moving
During this transmission the SOS button led will light up. Once voice communication has been established the SOS button flashes.

Because the vehicle?s electric system could be damaged, the following back up systems will be used if necessary?
? Emergency Phone Antenna located under rear window shelf to bypass damaged shark fin
? Emergency Speaker directly connected to TCU in driver footwell to bypass audio computer.
? Backup battery for TC.
? Backup switchover to AMPS Cellular format (USA) if CDMA signal unavailable.
? If service provider (BMW Assist) is unavailable within 2 minutes, the TCU will contact the local emergency number (i.e. 911).

2.2) Service Data Calls
This feature only applies to?
? USA: Cars with V60 phone
? Europe: Cars with Navigation Pro + Pro Phone

Service Data is sent by the car either manually (via Idrive Menu) or automatically when the car experiences a major technical failure.

Upon receiving a service data request:
? USA: the TCU instructs the V60 phone to send a SMS message with service information.
? Europe: the TCU sends a SMS message with service information.

Service information sent in SMS message:
? VIN#
? Model ID
? Registration Number
? Odometer mileage
? Color Code
? Battery Voltage
? Fuel Level
? Coolant Temperature!!!
? Condition Based Service Data (Brakes/Oil/Error condition)

Future Features
? Traffic Data message can be received
? Email/Stock Quotes can be received

3) Control Units

BMW?s documentation describes three types of control units for E60 phone systems ?
? TCU for USA (Comes with all cars that have BMW Assist)
? TCU for Europe (Comes with the Professional Phone #638)
? ULF (aka Bluetooth module #644) not available in USA

TCUs and ULF are located on the left rear wheel wall in the trunk.

3.1) TCUs (Telematics Control Units)

Both TCUs are made by Motorola (aka Everest Platform) and are very similar.

The TCUs are very sophisticated control units equipped with a cellular transceiver. USA: CDMA/AMPS 800/1900Mhz The USA version is autonomous (can work without a phone in the cockpit) but can also work in parallel with a phone in the cockpit (the Motorola V60). When a phone is present the TCU transfers (via the wiring between the TCU and the eject box) all requests to the phone present. Important finding, the USA TCU was designed with Bluetooth in mind, there is a connector for the Bluetooth antenna. This implies that at some point instead of sending the request to the V60 through the wiring, the requests could be sent via BT to a BT phone!!!!

The Euro TCU (GSM: 900/1800Mhz) works with a small handset (not a phone !!) located in the Eject box. All communications between the handset and the TCU are via BT. The Eject Box for the Handset has a socket for GSM SIM identity card which is transmitted (via wiring) to the TCU. The TCU then takes the identity of the SIM card.

In both the USA and Euro TCUs, a coax cable brings cellular antenna signal to the eject box. In the USA this coax is connected to a second antenna located in the shark fin. In the USA two antennas are needed : one for the TCU, one for the phone in the eject box. In Europe, there is only one antenna, but a connector need the TCU allows the re-routing of this signal to the eject box. This implies, that BMW/Motorola has plans to support phone (instead of a handset) located in the Eject Box. This would be achieved by modifying the software code in the TCU that processes the BT signal from the handset to a similar processing as performed in the ULF.

The TCUs perform the following tasks?
? Send emergency calls (see telematics description)
? Send service data
? Interface with audio computer (CCC/MASK) to mute during call and route phone audio to speakers.
? Voice recognition for phone features
? Translate Idrive/Steering wheel/Audio Commands into phone actions
? Transfer phone book from phone/SIM to Idrive
? Control the charging of a phone/handset in the Eject Box (only if necessary for battery and if E60 has enough power to perform task)

3.2) ULF (Universal Handsfree System
The ULF is a ?poor man?s? TCU. It has no transceiver, can?t provide emergency calls or service data call.

The ULF perform the following tasks?
? Interface with audio computer (CCC/MASK) to mute during call and route phone audio to speakers.
? Voice recognition for phone features (unconfirmed)
? Translate Idrive/Steering wheel/Audio Commands into phone actions
? Transfer phone book from BT Phone to Idrive
? Control the charging of a phone/handset in the Eject Box (only if necessary for battery and if E60 has enough power to perform task)

The ULF/TCUs use the same wiring connectors in TCU/ULF and at the Eject Box locations. The ULF uses a subset of the signals (it doesn?t need the emergency/service signals). The BMW documentation doesn?t indicate if the wiring is identical and unused in the ULF or if the wiring harnesses are different. The USA and EURO TCUs use identical wiring *EXCEPT* for the signals between the TCU and Eject box used in the USA for V60-TCU communication and Euro: SIMreader-TCU communication, these signal are however transmitted on different wires of the 54pin connector (TCU end) which implies that BMW only has one universal wiring harness.

4) Antennas
Several antennas are used by the TCUs/ULF

4.1) Shark Fin Antennas
USA:
? GPS Antenna shared by Navigation and Assist features
? Dual Antennas both 800/1900 Mhz
? 2 Sirius Antennas

Europe
? GPS Antenna only with Pro Phone or Nav
? GSM Antenna (900/1800Mhz)

4.2) Emergency Antenna
Located under rear window shelf provides alternate transmission point in case of severe crash. Always installed in USA, only installed with Pro Phone in Europe.

4.3) Bluetooth Antenna
Located under rear window shelf, connects Bluetooth phone/handset to ULF or TCU. Always installed in Europe with ULF (#644) or Pro Phone.

4.4) Retrofit Opinion: The location and design of all of these antennas allows for easy/rapid retrofit.

5) Microphones
? Driver Side Microphone
? Passenger Side Microphone (only with CCC w/ SVS)

6) Compensator
This after-sale optional module can be installed on the left rear wheel wall to amplify the antenna signal to ensure better reception/transmission. Two version are available Europe (900/1800Mhz) and USA/Canada (800/1900Mhz). This module receives a power signal from the TCU/ULF during phone conversation.

7) Telephone Wiring

All TCUs/ULF send their audio signals to the CCC/MASK via an optical fiber MOST interface. Retrofits of MOST are very expensive: After the fact installation of two optical fiber cables running from the console to the trunk is why some European Bluetooth retrofits have required 10 hours of labor. Fortunately if an E60 has a TCU or Premium HiFi, MOST cables are in the trunk and a retrofit becomes easy.

7.1) 54pin connector located at the TCU/ULF:
? Signals to the 18pin connector in the Eject box (SIM reader, V60 control, Charger control, Phone in Craddle?)
? Wiring to the two microphones near rear view mirror.
? Power and back up power signals
? Non audio signals to CCC/MASK (mute?)
? Power to optional antenna compensator
? Emergency Signals : Airbag, SOS button, CAS module, SOS Speaker, DSC Sensors (vehicle speed & direction)

7.2) 18 pin connector connected at the Eject Box:
? Signals from TCU (see above)?
? Power signals

7.3) Coax to antennas
? GPS Antenna
? Emergency Antenna
? Bluetooth Antenna
? Cellular Antenna # 1
? Cellular Antenna # 2 (USA Only)

8) Compatibility Problems / Bluetooth vs Assist / Retrofit
This section contains my engineering opinions guided by the analysis of the E60 electrical/software architecture and various software problems reported by users or acknowledged by BMW in service bulletins.

? 8.1) Voice Recognition Problem (SVS vs TCU/ULF)
Both the TCU/ULF and the CCC computer are chartered with doing voice recognition. Unless both systems can synchronize their actions the system won?t work. I.e. if you say dial 5-5-5-1-1-2-1-2, the numbers should be processed by the TCU not the CCC, but if you say radio frequency 9-7-point-3 you don?t want the TCU to react to the digits. It is my opinion that the delays in availability of SVS and of BT for cars with SVS is related to this non trivial software issue. The good news, is that it should be resolvable through software updates only!

? 8.2) USA: The Bluetooth vs Assist
After reviewing the architecture and wiring of the USA TCU and Euro TCU, I am convinced that BMW and Motorola were planning to offer a software upgrade to the TCUs to allow them to support BT handsets. Both TCUs have BT Antennas, the Euro TCU even has software capable of talking to a handset via BT. My guess is they ran into one of two problems:
o The HW of the TCU is not powerful enough to support the SW to deal with this upgrade. (i.e. not enough ram?)
o They haven?t completed the software to make it work.
In either case my review of the wiring and architecture is that a retrofit is possible. The catch is for how much will it cost. The cost of a retrofit is driven by?

o How much additional wiring is required
o How long does it take to install this wiring
o How much HW needs to be added/replaced

The additional wiring required (for USA and Euro vehicles with MOST) is minimal (coax to rear window shelf for BT antenna).

Software is clearly going to be required, but by saying that all cars starting the Sep/Oct 2004 production will be BT compatible, BMW is acknowledging that it has a solution to this one.

The Eject Box kit, is also minimal ($200 at most).

The BT antenna should be $200 at most.

The key issue is? is a new TCU required or not? After reviewing what the TCU does, I wouldn?t be surprised if it is a $500 to $1000 part. If there needs to be replaced, this will be the biggest cost driver and what the likely to cause of BMW?s lack of commitment to the issue.

Europe: Upgrade of Pro Phone to BT (Peter in Sweden that?s for you!)

If the USA problem can be solved, the Euro Pro Phone can be upgraded at a similar cost. (Peter you were wise to get the Pro Phone ? without it, an upgrade could be very costly in wiring and labor).
Old 04-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

As ususal francois, you've done it again!

What's your next challenge?
Old 04-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Contributors

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Bad news: New wiring harness REQUIRED for Bluetooth [BMWNA]</span>

Note: this message is cross-posted from roadfly forum, where more info may be available as follow-on to this latest news:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e63/4988538-1.html

Bad news: I asked BMWNA for a clarification re what is needed in the current car to suport BT, and they responded that a NEW WIRING HARNESS IS REQUIRED. This is *really bad news* since it means that the BT retrofit will require an extensive wiring change:

----------BMWNA Answer to my Question------------

There is not a current configuration that would better adapt to the Bluetooth module. The only 'option' that would better facilitate the addition of a Bluetooth unit would be the wiring harness. There is not a wiring harness available today to support the Bluetooth option, it is still under development by BMW. I hope this better answers your question.

---------My Q to BMWNA---------------------------
Ms. Labatzky,

Thank you for your prompt reply and the information on the 9/2004 Bluetooth availability. I?m not sure if your response answered my question, however, so please allow me to restate it:

I understand, as you responded, that
?there is no specific order or feature that stipulates the inclusion of Bluetooth? but my question is whether there is a desired configuration that best enables a retrofit of Bluetooth.

I understand that a retrofit of Bluetooth has not been announced/promised, and therefore that there is no assurance that any configuration would ensure that I could add Bluetooth to a pre-9/2004 production car. My thought is that, since BMW knows the target configuration that will support Bluetooth (which will be in production on 9/2004, as you state), then BMW knows what current components will be needed, which existing components will work ?as is? and which have to be modified. This valuable information (currently undisclosed by BMW) does allow BMW to assist their customers in ordering new cars now (as to what features would best assist a potential retrofit) that could be retrofitted with Bluetooth. Example: the feature, ?pre-wiring for Satellite radio,? enables a future addition of Sirius satellite radio, since it installs the necessary wiring. Is there a similar feature that places the right wiring or other components that would assist (reduce the cost or complexity of) a future Bluetooth retrofit?

Q: Could BMW please (a) share the target configuration for 9/2004 production with Bluetooth, and ( suggest which options would assist a possible, future Bluetooth retrofit?

Current customers ordering new cars are clearly new product adopters, and BMW could encourage there early adopters to purchase BMW cars now (and in the future) by sharing information that allows us to add features that we desire. I accept that in sharing this information, BMW does not commit to provide a Bluetooth retrofit; early customers that want Bluetooth and a new 5/6 are simply trying to plan as best they can, and could use the information that BMW has in this matter.

Regards,

Robert
Old 05-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Members

I've just spoken to my dealership re: blutoothing my Oct 2003 Car
He says the total costs for doing so varies from ?1400 - ?2000+ depending on the configuration of your car - which can be easily confirmed by them by keying in your VIN number into their computers

As mentioned previously somewhere on this board, labour costs are prohibitive as it involves 9 long hours of work !! (not sure why this is so.. as it doesn't sound like a lot of physical works needs doing - I suspect it's down to IDRIVE)

In my case, it's been qouted @ ?1500 (which is quite a bit considering my present BT headset - HDH60 costs ?65 from expansys.com)