E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ed, exactly what happened to me. In fact I sent in my car to check. Went in 3 days without solving it....hopelessly dissapointed. Quite annoying with that jerk some time....

Hey guys, i saw a black e60 with silver insert in the headlights (underneath the high and low beam). It looks wonderful. But I checked parts@pml and it wasn't release yet. WOnder where this guy got it?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Guest_sg520i' date='Jun 7 2004, 07:51 PM
ed, exactly what happened to me. In fact I sent in my car to check. Went in 3 days without solving it....hopelessly dissapointed. Quite annoying with that jerk some time....

Hey guys, i saw a black e60 with silver insert in the headlights (underneath the high and low beam). It looks wonderful. But I checked parts@pml and it wasn't release yet. WOnder where this guy got it?
Something is definitely not right about the sudden jerk because all of us experienced it one time or another. We should lodge protect at PML and get them to address this.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zag' date='Jun 7 2004, 06:20 PM
another shock of me life on the e60 last nite...
was making a right hand turn across traffic light junction as one would normally pull away from oncoming traffic.... for about half a second the car hesitated as if almost stalling in the middle of the junction, good thing there wasn't any oncoming at that time but my heart skipped a beat.

weird n scary!
Hi Zag,

That's pretty scary. Two things could have happened, on coming traffic and possibly a guy behind slamming into you.

Better get it checked out at PML. This kind of problem is pretty unacceptable.

eggz
Old 06-08-2004, 04:22 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by eggz' date='Jun 8 2004, 05:58 AM
Hi Zag,

That's pretty scary. Two things could have happened, on coming traffic and possibly a guy behind slamming into you.

Better get it checked out at PML. This kind of problem is pretty unacceptable.

eggz
i have had the latest software upgrade earlier this month for the delay gear shift and sudden foward lurch problem i experienced once.
for the latest experience i am not sure what PML can do other than superficially check this check that and no trouble found kind of situation. Will talk to the CSA tomorrow!

the other day there was a chap i ran into, he told me about his brand new 520i went stall on expressway for no reason and all the jerky gear shift problem and i wonder how he is doing with his ride. Let me invite him to this forum to share his experience!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:21 AM
Booked525iA

Just to add that I have exactly the same problem of my current E46 hesitating and almost stalling when I depress the accelerator while at low speeds or standstill. However I realise this only happens whenever the car was allowed to standstill with engine (+aircon + 2 amplifiers) running for long period of time which might imply the cause being reduced battery juice.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

I've never had this sort of problem with the last 3 BMWs I've driven. My previous car was a E46 which I was driving for 4 years and never changed the battery and never once got this problem.

real strange this....

eggz
Old 06-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zag' date='Jun 7 2004, 06:20 PM
another shock of me life on the e60 last nite...
was making a right hand turn across traffic light junction as one would normally pull away from oncoming traffic.... for about half a second the car hesitated as if almost stalling in the middle of the junction, good thing there wasn't any oncoming at that time but my heart skipped a beat.

weird n scary!
Hi all,

I had this problem in a 3 series which I bought in 1990. The car was barely a year old when I experience this similar problem. I was almost killed in a t-junction when the oncoming lorry served away from my almost stalling car. The annoying part was that I had addressed the issue with PML for countless times and they never solved it.

Immediately after the incident, I drove straight to Sime Darby Centre and march my way into the MD's office. Despite being stopped, I threw my car keys straight into the MD's face. I was very angry. The workshop director (Alex Liu at that time in time) has the cheek to ask me what were the reading on my dash!@@##. I swear at all in the meeting and told them that I almost kissed my life away.

They took my car in (while I drrove the MD's car - MD at that time is a Mr Lim Choon Seng) for 2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks, they couldn't catch the bug and pleaded for 1 more week - they told me they are flying in a tech team from somewhere. In the meantime, they tried solving the problem with this and that method. I remembered they gave me an anti-static cable to be plugged in between the air-flow meter.

When they finally gave me back my car, the engine hook was badly deformed and the car was taking petrol like a 3 litre. I asked for a refund and was finally given a $26,000 credit while I sold that car in the open market (they found the buyer) losing a similar amount.

Now, at times, I am experiencing the same jerk while driving off - it dosen't happen all the time, but hey, one time at the wrong time, can be too many - IT COULD GET YOU KILLED!!!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Members

This is getting worrying. My wife is scared to drive my E60 now after experiencing the bad jerk the other day which throw us forward while the car slided down a sttep slope. IT appears to me that to avoid the jerk, one has to press the accelerator gently at low speed and not press it down too fast. I think we should put together a petition to PML to look into this. If any PML people are reading this, please take this up. If problem not addressed, the sale of E60 could plummet. Is this what PML want?
Old 06-08-2004, 06:55 PM

From Roadfly forum

"Lakers = 4 Rings on 2004-06-08 at 15:02:42 (posted from: Host: edsel.smud.org IP: 192.247.64.40)

Subject: My 3 Month E60 Review - Telling it Like it is (484 views) (2737 thread views)

Message: Here are some thoughts regarding the e60 I've owned for about 3 months now.

I would like to start by saying this is the most problematic brand new car I have ever owned, bar none. It has been in the shop a total of 4 times now for warranty work and there is no end in sight. Since California has a lemon law, I'm seriously considering going down that path at this point.

-For $50,000, this is NOT - I repeat NOT - a fast car compared to other '04 sedans. I have now raced an '04 V6 Accord (my wife's) and an '04 Acura TL and both have smoked my 530i. The TL left me in its wake.

-Beware: the driver's seatbelt jams. Take a look at the apperatus. The slit for the seatbelt forms a 'smiley face' of sorts... ... the corners of the 'smile' are too small and if your seatbelt slips into one of those small curves, and folds, as mine did, you are SCREWED. BMW asistance had to tow my car to the dealer to get it undone. Third time it got jammed. Fixed it with needle nose pliers the other two times. Serious safety issue.

-CD starts over every time you turn the car off (I have had all software updates available)

-When no one is sitting in the passenger seat, or someone below a certain weight limit is, there airbag is turned off automatically. There is a light that indicates the airbag has been deactivated. My wife is 5'8, 130 lbs. and the airbag gets DEACTIVATED and the light comes on when she is in the seat. The dealer has yet to remedy this. Another SERIOUS safety issue.

-CD player does not play MP3's nor does it process MOST homemade CDR's. Apparently BMW has been in a CAVE for the past 5 years.

-From time to time the radio produces a loud static when the car is first started, and it is impossible to reproduce at the dealership, making it, well, impossible to fix (so far, they're still trying to figure it out, disconnecting the "TCU" is their next step)

-The "shark fin" radio antenna sucks. I lose coverage of radio stations whose antennas are only within 10 miles of my location at any given time. If I'm in the hills my reception is horrible.

-Because of some sort of "production date" snag, I can't add navigation to my car, nor can I add satellite radio by the dealer.

-When a song is playing on the radio, a new technology allows for the artist and song title to be displayed on the LCD. This would be GREAT *if* the line display was more than 5 characters. It scrolls in a very choppy manner and has to go through three passes before you can even read the entire song title. Sometimes it stalls and doesn't work at all.

-The headrest on this car is NOT a headrest. It is a head BRACE if anything. It sits so far back you can't rest your head on a long trip. Sure, work around it and look like a complete IDIOT driving down the freeway in a $50,000 car with a PILLOW behind your head because the manufacturer wasn't concerned enough about your COMFORT. Nice.

-This car has a TERRIBLE brake dust problem. On my previous 528, it was only on the front rims, now it's on all FOUR rims. CONSTANT touch-up or the thing looks like it's been driving through piles of ash.

In closing, I would like to say I bought this car without really taking it for a long enough test drive. I should have taken it for half the day and really got to know it before I bought it. So ultimately, yes, I take the blame for buying a car I am not happy with. On the other hand, the car does not work as it supposed to and has some serious safety issues that the dealer has failed to address.

I am highly disappointed in BMW for this horrible production run. For prospective owners, don't waste your time. My wife has an '04 Accord V6 and it is faster than my car, has far more features, is just as safe, if not safer given the problems with my car, and it has been absolutely FLAWLESS.

Go ahead, tear into me and tell me what an idiot I am for buying a car that I have so many issues with. I know that's what everyone loves to do in here.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Members

I shared some of the problems this guy encountered. But hor, how can he compare accord and bmw??? different class...different feeling. Jap is generally more reliable....everybody knows. Bmw is name....the marque already killing. For some people, who cares how the car drive and the problems...juz the name that kills. We have many forumers who encountered problems but still stick to it...why? Cos it is BMW-ultimate driving machine.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans