E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I will get bombarded for saying this but I think excessive speed on a public highway is not only dangerous but irresponsible. If you are the only one on the road and you speed and have an accident then it is your own fault. But if you speed and have an accident with another car then other people will get hurt, including children. Most drivers on the NS highway are fairly safe but will not be expecting to be passed by another car going more than twice their speed. If they are careless just for one second and pull out to overtake a bus/truck without noticing you over-taking, then there will be a horrific accident.

I am all for driving fast, but only in a safe environment like a track. In my opinion 110kph is too slow and the highway can "safely" support cars doing 20-40kph more, but this depends on the road conditions. Doing more than 200kph is plain irresponsible if there is other traffic around. No wonder some Malaysians say bad things about Singaporeans and their flash cars not respecting the laws of the land! I am sure that we would be swearing at Malaysians if they came to Singapore to speed on our highways.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:03 PM
lmk
Contributors

no one will bombard you for saying that especially for safety.
i, for one, do not agree driving at extreme speeds when there are other cars and traffic. But there is a difference between reckless and high speed.
i do more than 300kph in germany, mind you, with other cars zooming at about the same speeds.
most of the time, it is not how good you are to avoid an accident, but how bad the other driver is to create one accident.

So guys, drive fast, but safety first hor!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Zig
Senior Members

My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='260765' date='Mar 28 2006, 02:15 AM
Penang is a little far. Genting is much nearer if you ask me.

It'd be nice if we can all cruise at between 180 - 200Km/h for a change and enjoy the drive up. Only then can we really enjoy the scenery, etc. Maybe during the next school holidays? Drive up, stay for a day or two before proceeding back home?
Anyone want to consider Cameron highlands? Should aim for long weekends like:

14 April, Fri - Good Friday
1 May, Mon - Labour Day
12 May, Fri - Vesak Day

We can take a slow cruise at 180 - 200km/hr, enjoy the scenery and food along the way.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='261029' date='Mar 28 2006, 01:03 PM
i, for one, do not agree driving at extreme speeds when there are other cars and traffic. But there is a difference between reckless and high speed.
i do more than 300kph in germany, mind you, with other cars zooming at about the same speeds.
most of the time, it is not how good you are to avoid an accident, but how bad the other driver is to create one accident.

The key is anticipation. But when the spped difference is this great things can get out of control very quickly. I am no saint and have driven at over 260 on the NS highway, but only when there are no other cars on the road, which is rare! All I am saying is be careful. I would hate it if some dreamy driver pulls out to overtake slower traffic and did not see your car approaching at more than double his speed.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='260702' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:17 AM
its really STUPID and RECKLESS!!!
I think that little portion in blocks say alot about my afterthoughts. Kopi-O, did you miss the BLOCKS that the words were typed in? I don't see a reason why some should want to rub it in further. Lets not get into a long debate over this. I think this subject should be terminated before sparks start to fly!!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='261029' date='Mar 27 2006, 11:03 PM

300++ blooooody hell wat car was that.vision must be real blur.

your balls surely made of steel.ha ha.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kopi_o' post='261140' date='Mar 28 2006, 06:24 PM
The key is anticipation. But when the spped difference is this great things can get out of control very quickly. I am no saint and have driven at over 260 on the NS highway, but only when there are no other cars on the road, which is rare! All I am saying is be careful. I would hate it if some dreamy driver pulls out to overtake slower traffic and did not see your car approaching at more than double his speed.
Cars today are made so much safer then before, and road condition has improved drastically compared to the good old trunk roads in Malaysia 20+ years ago. Furthermore, if driving fast is unacceptable, then perhaps the authority should ban all street cars with more than 200bhp! Even family Japanese sedan now comes with bigger hp and turbo charged! In that regards, it is much safer to cruise at faster speed these days and indeed 110kph on a highway is slow and should be up to say 150kph? hehe.

Anyway, I feel most 4-door 2 liter sedan car can definitely handle a stable speeding speed of 150kph and better built performance car can do up to 180kph with ease and confidence.

The fact that highways are built with at least 2 lanes is so that those who choose to drive below 100kph should just take to the left, and allowing those who can cruise faster take the right lane.

It all boils down to proper lane filtering and driving etiquette, signal early before filerting and keep a safe distance. In anycase, just drive safe but that does not always mean drive slow. Cheers!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Members

Hey Ed, selling your 545 eh? spotted it on classified and figured it is probably your 545.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:12 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1628' post='261183' date='Mar 28 2006, 07:33 PM
300++ blooooody hell wat car was that.vision must be real blur.

your balls surely made of steel.ha ha.

hehe...a friend of mine pass me his Porsche 911 turbo in one of my trips and i hit 290+. the other time i was in a rented Farrari 348, it was then i hit 300+ on the autobahns. but i do remember there are a coupe of car that come close to me from behind at that speed and i have to give way to them. cannot really see what car as i am too engrossed in my own speeding car.

No, i do not have balls of steel la, but just to get those experience in a car that goes 300kph!

try it, it is fun!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:21 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Fireplace' post='261235' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:23 PM
Cars today are made so much safer then before, and road condition has improved drastically compared to the good old trunk roads in Malaysia 20+ years ago. Furthermore, if driving fast is unacceptable, then perhaps the authority should ban all street cars with more than 200bhp! Even family Japanese sedan now comes with bigger hp and turbo charged! In that regards, it is much safer to cruise at faster speed these days and indeed 110kph on a highway is slow and should be up to say 150kph? hehe.

Anyway, I feel most 4-door 2 liter sedan car can definitely handle a stable speeding speed of 150kph and better built performance car can do up to 180kph with ease and confidence.

The fact that highways are built with at least 2 lanes is so that those who choose to drive below 100kph should just take to the left, and allowing those who can cruise faster take the right lane.

It all boils down to proper lane filtering and driving etiquette, signal early before filerting and keep a safe distance. In anycase, just drive safe but that does not always mean drive slow. Cheers!

i tend to agree to what you said, i once saw a documentary film about autobahns, how the police trap those drivers and how road was built according to safety considerations. very interesting.
in one of the sections, there was a couple, husband and wife team, modify Porsches for a living, They do test cars and speed monster. really impressive.

I always keep to the slow lane when not over taking, but usually are those motorbikes, trucks and taxis that love to hog the highway that drives me nuts. That scenerio forces one to go in and out of the traffic once in awhile....i admit i sometimes is one of them.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans