E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jul 12 2005, 05:28 AM
[quote name='eggz' date='Jul 12 2005, 02:16 AM']Ed, apparently there is at least one M5 on the road already. Some guy over at bmw.sg saw one at Hyatt, it's got the SMG paddles and everything, should be real. If that is the case, LTA might have already approved the HUD.
[snapback]148153[/snapback]
I will find out from PML and let you guys know. I believe its one of the fakes, but we'll know the fact by tomorrow.
[snapback]148190[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just got the official confirmation. The first M5 on SIN roads will not be expected till Sep 2005.

The one spotted at Hyatt must be an M5 wanabe. I have posted a pict of one with the M5 side emblem, I have seen photographs of 2 others, one with a mirror image of my reg'n number. We all know how easy it is to get oem parts from Europe. Even the M166 rims are now readily available.

I have even been asked if I would like paddle shift on my ride. (not by PML)

Next time anyone spots a supposed M5, just look out for the following: 1. Sunroof, 2. SMG and if you have a chance, check out the speedo which should max at 330Km. Even the 545i maxes at only 260.

I will investigate the HUD and keep you guys posted.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bugaboo' date='Jul 12 2005, 03:04 AM
Ed,? I'm telling you what I saw.?? 530 in pml alexandra with HUD.??
I also would like to know who's e60 is it??? I thought it was olivin's.?? i guess not.
i wonder if its retrofitted.? i read its not possible to retrofit.

[
[snapback]148163[/snapback]
OK. MY APOLOGIES. There is indeed one E60 in Sin with HUD. This car belongs to BMW Asia and was brought in for LTA testing. So far no other E60 registered to anyone in Sin has this option.

Once again, SORRY FOR THE MISINFORMATION
Old 07-12-2005, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jul 12 2005, 06:45 AM
[quote name='bugaboo' date='Jul 12 2005, 03:04 AM']Ed,? I'm telling you what I saw.? 530 in pml alexandra with HUD.?
I also would like to know who's e60 is it?? I thought it was olivin's.? i guess not.
i wonder if its retrofitted.? i read its not possible to retrofit.

[
[snapback]148163[/snapback]
OK. MY APOLOGIES. There is indeed one E60 in Sin with HUD. This car belongs to BMW Asia and was brought in for LTA testing. So far no other E60 registered to anyone in Sin has this option.

[snapback]148197[/snapback]
[/quote]

thanks for finding out Ed. Hope LTA approves it.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jul 12 2005, 05:45 AM
OK.? MY APOLOGIES.? There is indeed one E60 in Sin with HUD.? This car belongs to BMW Asia and was brought in for LTA testing.? So far no other E60 registered to anyone in Sin has this option.

[snapback]148197[/snapback]
Ed, your info damn fast, BTW, do you know if brake force display is approved by LTA and why we don't have it on our E60s when it's standard in Europe? I think it's a great safety feature to have, especially for driving on expressways
Old 07-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by eggz' date='Jul 12 2005, 08:22 AM
do you know if brake force display is approved by LTA and why we don't have it on our E60s when it's standard in Europe?
[snapback]148233[/snapback]
This one will take abit of time. Will revert tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

I thought brake force display is already available in the X5?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Members

Dear fellow Singaporeans, Newbie here. Getting my E60 523i this Saturday.

Need your advice. The car comes with RFTs. Should I change them to non-RFTs?
Is it true that you can't patch them and also, they weigh a ton?
Any disadvantage if I changed them to non-RFTs and will the Run-Flat indicator still tell me my non-RFTs are flat?

Also, won't it be anti-social to have a Singaporean thread in an international forum? (sorry, no offense, just too obvious to me)
Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by valvetronic' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:54 AM
Dear fellow Singaporeans, Newbie here.? Getting my E60 523i this Saturday.

Need your advice.? The car comes with RFTs.? Should I change them to non-RFTs?
Any disadvantage if I changed them to non-RFTs and will the Run-Flat indicator still tell me my non-RFTs are flat?

Also, won't it be anti-social to have a Singaporean thread in an international forum?? (sorry, no offense, just too obvious to me)
[snapback]148694[/snapback]
RFT's do weigh a ton, and you should change over to normal tyres ASAP so that you can get a better trade-in value. RFT's cost a fortune to replace. They are also a lot noisier starting out, get noisier with age, and give a very harsh ride in the bargain. But, do you have the space saver spare tyre kit in your car? I'm guessing you don't. These can and should be ordered from PML, otherwise you're screwed if you spring a leak.

RFT's can and have been repaired in other countries, but it does require special tools and skills which not all tyre shops in Singapore have. And it depends on how long you have relied on the RFT feature as well because once the sidewalls have done too many miles with no air to support them, they get damaged, and became unrepairable.

The RFTM system in iDrive works for any type of tyre you have. It doesn't measure the amount of air inside, rather the change in the rate of rolling when a tyre loses air. Quite cheem, but rather easy to reset once you know what you're doing.

Too late to worry about political correctness, this Singapore thread has taken on a life of its own, and has become one of Singapore's "attractions". It has taken on squatters rights in a sense.

Writing this from a place almost as hot as hell. 118 degrees F expected high today in Palm Desert, California, second hottest place in the US. Only Death Valley is going to be hotter.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by valvetronic' date='Jul 13 2005, 09:54 AM
Dear fellow Singaporeans, Newbie here.? Getting my E60 523i this Saturday.

Need your advice.? The car comes with RFTs.? Should I change them to non-RFTs?

Also, won't it be anti-social to have a Singaporean thread in an international forum?? (sorry, no offense, just too obvious to me)
[snapback]148694[/snapback]
Hi valvetronic. Welcome to the forum. First, to answer your last question. No, we are not being anti-social. We are accepted by the forum administrators as Singapore enthusiasts who offer some good contributions within this thread and also in other threads. This forum is also afterall for E60 enthusiasts. There was someone who questioned this thread sometime ago and got absolutely hammered by the other international forumers.

I hear the current crop of RFTs are okay. There are quite a few people here who have them and are able to live with them w/out much complaints. I believe you should stick with your RFTs until they're worn unless of course if you want to upgrade your rims. This will save you lots of money as the trade-in price offered by the tyre shops are miserable. I don't know if they can be patched.

The Run flat indicator will work no matter what type of tyre you use.

I heard the 523 is quite a good car. I hope you got it at a fairly good price.

See you at the next meet-up.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by russo' date='Jul 13 2005, 09:10 AM
I thought brake force display is already available in the X5?
[snapback]148681[/snapback]
I don't think it is. I have checked the PML eqpt list on the net but it is not included. This is something they will definitely want to show in the list if it is indeed there. Maybe you can confirm this with your kakis?

Anyway, I have spoken with Torsten re the E60 BFD and he will revert with the necessary info.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans