E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 6spdMan, for the advice. As you can tell, the opinions differ equally, as in other articles I've read. Pretty expensive feature to have I think, just to run-flat. I think the best feature RFTs do, is when your tire flattens at high-speed. You'll not lose control of your car too easily. I know people died when they lost control of a car from a blown tire. I'll check how much they are for trade-in and get the GoodYear GS-D3. The 523 now comes with 17" as standard, PDC, Rear window shades (elect) and bi-xenons as well. Chose to have non-metallic black, so that each time I lick the paint, the gloss goes deeper!

Yep, I'm glad that this thread is endorsed by everyone in the forum, just didn't want others to think we Singaporeans are so clickish. With you in the US, that makes it international enough!!! I envy you being able to rip the beautiful highways of the US in your E60.

Can you use radar detectors there? That'll be cool!!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Members

I live (if you can call it that) in Singapore. I travel a lot for pleasure, so I don't actually get to drive my 530i in Singapore very much. Besides, it is a 6spd manual so it is damn lay-chay to drive around.

OT, but I just saw 50 degrees C on my Pacifica's thermometer - that's 122 deg F in the shade in Palm Desert, CA. At 10pm, it is still 39 deg. Singapore is gonna feel cool when I get back!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:34 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by valvetronic' date='Jul 14 2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks 6spdMan, for the advice.? As you can tell, the opinions differ equally, as in other articles I've read.? Pretty expensive feature to have I think, just to run-flat.? I think the best feature RFTs do, is when your tire flattens at high-speed.? You'll not lose control of your car too easily.? I know people died when they lost control of a car from a blown tire.? I'll check how much they are for trade-in and get the GoodYear GS-D3.? The 523 now comes with 17" as standard, PDC, Rear window shades (elect) and bi-xenons as well.? Chose to have non-metallic black, so that each time I lick the paint, the gloss goes deeper!

Yep, I'm glad that this thread is endorsed by everyone in the forum, just didn't want others to think we Singaporeans are so clickish.? With you in the US, that makes it international enough!!!? I envy you being able to rip the beautiful highways of the US in your E60.

Can you use radar detectors there?? That'll be cool!!
[snapback]148912[/snapback]
Congrats on your new ride. Do come join us during our regular e60 Get together. Drop me your email add to zagatoe@yahoo.com and I will include you in the mailing list.

Runflats will become more affordable as time goes by and more car marques adopt them. I was on runflats (very early batch tyres) and they sucked in noise and grip ( P.O.S from Dunlop). When it wore out prematurely at less than 30k km, I replaced them with normal tyres at S$500 a peice vs. S$700 for runflats. I don't have a spare in the boot but I have a little air pump to count on. Never driven to the north so never bother with it.
Runflats give a more crisp steering feel. I kinda missed them!

As Edlee pointed out dun worry about this thread being local as matter of fact it helps in a way to keep sg specific e60 issues be it car or PML after sales service related issues in one thread. Of course for new comer like you shifitng through thousands of posts needs stamina of the mind.

Hey 6spman... life is beautiful huh!? only need to worry how many birdies you gonna hit today. Wish I could get on the next plane out of this hell hole for a break. C ya!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zag' date='Jul 13 2005, 10:34 PM
Hey 6spman... life is beautiful huh!? only need to worry how many birdies you gonna hit today. Wish I could get on the next plane out of this hell hole for a break. C ya!
[snapback]148935[/snapback]
Hi Zag,
Sometimes being retired can get a bit tedious, but it sure beats having to work for a living.

It's so hot here in Palm Desert that even the birdies are staying in the shade. Hard to hit them birdies when you can't see them. In fact, the 50 deg C today set a new record high temp for this town. It's hotter than hell, which is why I'm getting out of here and going to San Diego on Sunday. It's 20-22 deg there.

I don't consider Singapore a hellhole. It is more like purgatory.

If Toto decides to get a set of Axxis brake pads, would you like me to add a set for you as well? Deluxe Plus has much less dust than OEM pads. Email me. I'll be in touch soon regarding your M Sport enhancement.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Members

Hi zag, thanks for the welcome. Gee, didn't know there's an E60 get together. I know bmw-sg has a monthly one. My email addy is michaelglim@pacific.net.sg.

It'll be cool to meet the E60ers in one place. Got lots to know and lots of who to know!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

Hi valvetronic,

Welcome to the forum where owners get answers before the dealers or their techs

Like Zag, me too was and still is on RFTs; however, I got replacements free

I tend to agree with Zag that the RFTs do drive "sharper" and the feel is more assuring that non-RFTs. The setbacks are that they are noisy and expensive; and we would from time to time hear other owners so happy aboutr changing out their RFTs.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Members

Spoke to my usual tire guy, and his opinion of RFTs are that if the car comes with it, use it, but don't buy it! The trade in for the RFTs are only S$100 a piece whilst they cost about S$300 a piece. He has patched many RFTs also, so no issue with patching.

Also, can anyone advise me if there is an aux input cable that can be added so that I can plug my iPod into it? Any feedback on the audio that comes with bimmers now? Sorry if this is a repeated subject.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by valvetronic' date='Jul 14 2005, 11:33 PM
Spoke to my usual tire guy, and his opinion of RFTs are that if the car comes with it, use it, but don't buy it!? The trade in for the RFTs are only S$100 a piece whilst they cost about S$300 a piece.? He has patched many RFTs also, so no issue with patching.?

Also, can anyone advise me if there is an aux input cable that can be added so that I can plug my iPod into it?? Any feedback on the audio that comes with bimmers now?? Sorry if this is a repeated subject.
[snapback]149302[/snapback]
May I know who your tire guy is? So next time I'll know who to go to to patch my RFTs

The aux input is a retrofit, PML can do it, cost is about $150, takes about 1/2 a day to do. Lots of folks have done it. One thing though, volume through the aux line is soft compared to CD/FM, you'll need to use an external line amp, like the one from Belkin for best results.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jul 13 2005, 10:58 AM
I hear the current crop of RFTs are okay.? There are quite a few people here who have them and are able to live with them w/out much complaints.? I believe you should stick with your RFTs until they're worn unless of course if you want to upgrade your rims.? This will save you lots of money as the trade-in price offered by the tyre shops are miserable.? I don't know if they can be patched.
[snapback]148711[/snapback]

Originally Posted by valvetronic' date='Jul 14 2005, 11:33 PM
Spoke to my usual tire guy, and his opinion of RFTs are that if the car comes with it, use it, but don't buy it!? The trade in for the RFTs are only S$100 a piece whilst they cost about S$300 a piece.? He has patched many RFTs also, so no issue with patching.?
I responded to you based on experience. And I repeat again; best to leave them alone unless you feel you want to upgrade your rims.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:59 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by valvetronic' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:33 PM

Also, can anyone advise me if there is an aux input cable that can be added so that I can plug my iPod into it?? Any feedback on the audio that comes with bimmers now?? Sorry if this is a repeated subject.
What? RFT only cost $300 a piece? The last time I ask it was like $700 for 18".
Are we referring to the same thing? If it is $300 a piece it is cheaper than P zero rosso at S$480 a piece.
For $300.. I would suggest by all means keep the run flat. It save you fuel cost for the extra weight of carrying a spare in the boot. (bean counter talking ..heheheh!)

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans