E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Could anyone PM me Rob's number?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

I'd be very excited if the re-mapping will improve both reponse and fuel efficiency concurrently. perhaps you could let me know the figures again after one month of driving. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Senior Members

Ok even with the DMS remap I wasn't able to go under 3min at Sepang, I did clock a better time than previously, my best time was 3min 1sec, just missed it by 2 secs I think it's the driver and not the car!

The dissapointing thing was the brakes, after about 3-4 hot laps they really start to fade and I was having to brake earlier. Also the runflats are really starting to die, sounding really noisy and traction out of the corners was not good. This time though, I'm not sure if it's the DMS or tyres, I was getting lots more oversteer and was actually sliding around the corners or correcting oversteer quite often, which is quite fun, but not good for lap times

Where the DMS does show is on the NS highway. we were averaging 150-160km/h on the drive back and the traffic was pretty heavy. What's nice is I can now keep it in 5th, at about 150 - 160km/h, keep the revs between 3-4k rpm, step on it and you can still feel the push from the engine, especially after 4000rpm.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by new owner' date='Jun 10 2005, 08:45 PM
Just got my car remapped by Rob yesterday.? Noticed that there was a little more torque at the lower revs and I felt that the engine sounded throatier.? Could be my imagination to justify the money spent? <_< However the most obvious change I noticed was fuel consumption.? Since I got the car, it averaged 12.8 to 13.2 litres per 100 km.? Yesterday, after driving for about 120 km in the City, the Highway and up a few multistorey carparks, I noticed that the fuel consumption averaged 11.6 to 11.8 litres per 100 km?
[snapback]138431[/snapback]
Hmm, I agree with the engine sounds throatier bit....initially I wasn't convinced of that, until my friend who was with me on the drive up to Sepang, said the engine sounded quit nice and throaty at about 160km/h (don't remember the rev), then I realised it sounds a bit different from last time.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jun 10 2005, 10:43 AM
There has to be a catch.? Higher fuel consumption? Something has gotta give in order that you achieve greater torque.
[snapback]138252[/snapback]
heh heh...Ed, I think the catch is the engine won't last as long
Old 06-14-2005, 02:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by eggz' date='Jun 11 2005, 04:50 PM
[quote name='Edlee' date='Jun 10 2005, 10:43 AM']There has to be a catch.? Higher fuel consumption? Something has gotta give in order that you achieve greater torque.
[snapback]138252[/snapback]
heh heh...Ed, I think the catch is the engine won't last as long
[snapback]138502[/snapback]
[/quote]

Isn't that the reason local taxis keep their headlights off, so they don't wear out the alternator?
I don't think a ECU remap is going to materially affect the longevity of your engine.
DMS only claims a 10ft/lb increase in torque, not 10%, for the 3.0l M54 engine.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 6spdMan' date='Jun 14 2005, 04:26 AM
Isn't that the reason local taxis keep their headlights off, so they don't wear out the alternator?
I don't think a ECU remap is going to materially affect the longevity of your engine.
DMS only claims a 10ft/lb increase in torque, not 10%, for the 3.0l M54 engine.
[snapback]139305[/snapback]
Whatever it is, something's gotta be sacrificed. Maybe performance, maybe longevity of the engine, could be anything.

Is it really worth the while to do the remap? If it were really that good for the car, wouldn't BMW already have done so? Which manufacturer wouldn't want to boast of optimum engine performance?

I personally would stay away from all this remapping stuff. Yes, mine might be a 545 with 333 bhp, but I wouldn't do so even if I were driving a 520. Its just too risky; especially if it affects the manufacturer's warranty. When push comes to shove, I am definitely 100% sure BMW or PML will find out that the engine's ECU has been tempered with. I am sure they have the know how. Its whether they want to do so. You know what happens when that happens.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jun 14 2005, 04:40 AM
Whatever it is, something's gotta be sacrificed.? Maybe performance, maybe longevity of the engine, could be anything.

Is it really worth the while to do the remap?? If it were really that good for the car, wouldn't BMW already have done so?? Which manufacturer wouldn't want to boast of optimum engine performance?

I personally would stay away from all this remapping stuff.? Yes, mine might be a 545 with 333 bhp, but I wouldn't do so even if I were driving a 520.? Its just too risky; especially if it affects the manufacturer's warranty.? When push comes to shove, I am definitely 100% sure BMW or PML will find out that the engine's ECU has been tempered with.? I am sure they have the know how.? Its whether they want to do so.? You know what happens when that happens.
[snapback]139308[/snapback]
Couldn't agree with you more - BMW would have make it de-facto in their engines if they know it's going to thrill the owners more - I mean, think of what's keeping them from doing it, it's not doing them any good capping it down <_<

I am not trying to start on an argument about this re-mapping/dms thingy, but Ed's right again about warranty issues - I mean, if you know PML well enough, even if your alternator is down, they would point it to the re-mapped/dms-ed engine assuming they are able to tell - and I beleive they could

I think the time is ripe for a meet-up, do I see any hands this time - place and time can be suggested with your posts - as usaual, suggestions welcome
Old 06-14-2005, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

big brand cars as a whole are exported all over the world. to fussy countries like singapore, japan us of a...n to less developed places where people service their cars as and when they want. heck there probably is only 1 dealer in south africa or shanghai or timbaktu...n the petrol there are considered good if u get 92 octane.
my point is...its a fact that cars r de-tuned to keep them lasting in any country...any climate. for places like singapore...with good roads, easily available servicing, we can afford to liberate the engine without harming it. sure something will give if u push too hard. be it a car or ur overworked pc, fone..watever. I disagree that liberating ur cars engine will mean that its gonna crap out sooner than the stock ECU...considering that we change oil every 10,000km...we hv more than 98 octane gas. so guys, loosen up...ur car is more well made than u think.

as for pml discovering the mod....no problems there. ur program will be put back FOC if discovered. u hv to understand how this work. the ecu has many functions...besides ur engine. think of it as a cupboard with many compartments. the area that controls ur engine is just one of the drawers. the drawer is not changed. the differen values hv just been optimised at different rpm ranges. when ur car gets recall for alternator problems...lock problems..power window problems...pml does not touch the engine mapping. ur software upgrade does not modify the values of how ur engine is run across the rev range. According to Rob...he has only known 2 cars that BMW has changed a complete ECU. thats the E46 M3 n the 7s. wotever reprogramming he does is his trade secret. He warranties agst defects of any sorts from his tuning. As well, i am not here to start an argument on which is better. Those who have done it, will probably swear by it. Bear in mind this is different from reflashing ur ECU which is what HIOP does. I have said a lot about what is actually done. Perhaps those who are skeptical shud re-read what I wrote. I have mod my cars many times over...and I am selective over what I do. None of my cars ever ran into problems. U do pay a premium over piggybacks n reflashed ECU...again u need to know why. As far as I know..what DMS does is totally different from what u may perceive. Give him a call and understand it better.

I am very happy so far and I will say the same for the other 3 who has done it without needing to verify. Its a different car we have now.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

OK everyone has his opinion. Whatever is needed to be said is said.
Next topic - get together. When n where? Wasn't there supposed to be one at PML?

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans