E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very surprised by the heated discussion in this thread.We're talking about a subject that legally varies from country to country. In most of Europe, it's illegal to use fog lights during normal conditions. In the US, it's not illegal. So what?
There are lot's of difference--should we argue those too?
There are no speed limits on most of the highways in Germany, although there are most every where else. Are Germans stupid or immature if they do 250 km when the recommended speed is 130km? When they endanger other lives as well?
Some would say yes, some would say no.
The point is that it's legal and that it 's ponitless for us to argue it.
Would you slow down just because someone from the US says so? I doubt it, so why continue this back and forth bickering.At one point in my life, I thought fog lights were cool to have on, but I no longer believe that. I also have a hard time seeing at night, but I've never had to turn on a fog light for help. However, until the US makes it illegal to use during normal condtions, let people do as they please. There are things in Holland too that are legal but illegal else where
Old 09-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by delatorre41' date='Sep 3 2004, 11:48 AM
Call them what you want, FOG lights or DRIVING lights. Bottom line is you can see better at night with them on and that is a good thing, who care what people think! They don't intrude on other people's vision, so what's the big deal? Get over it!!!!!
I believe that u can see more if you do not have the xenons. I don't hvae xenons, and i noticed that you can see more. not a lot, but still more.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Legal or not... That's not the point. Ppl are getting bothered by them and they DON'T help you in any way when there is no fog.

BTW:
There are no speed limits on most of the highways in Germany
That's not true!

Highways without speedlimits are extremely rare!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 3 2004, 08:53 PM
BTW:
That's not true!

He is absolutely correct on that one.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Sep 3 2004, 01:05 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Sep 3 2004, 08:53 PM'] BTW:
That's not true!

He is absolutely correct on that one. [/quote]
got him on a technicallity, but his point remains valid...
Old 09-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Sep 3 2004, 09:20 PM
got him on a technicallity, but his point remains valid...
hhmm... So you think because it's not illegal in the US it's OK, even if you bother other ppl with it?
One day someone will sue somebody else because the accident he had was caused by somebody on the other side who had his foglights on...

Anyways, why do you think it is illegal in some countrys? Because we are all chickens over here?

However, I think everything is said in this thread and if you want to continue this pissing contest send me a PM. This board is made for E60 discussions, let's get back to it. This discussion is going on for 24 hours now and not leading us anywhere - everybody has his view and opinion on it.

I suggest that everyone better think about the subject twice, and if you still wanna do it, you now know how some ppl feel about it.
Thank you!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

From the brilliant minds at the California Dept.of Motor Vehicles.

"Fog: The best advice for driving in the fog is DON?T. You should consider postponing your trip until the fog clears. However, if you must drive, then slow down and turn on your low beam headlights. The light from high beams will reflect back and cause glare. **NEVER** drive with just your parking or fog lights."

It appears to legal to drive with your fog lights and driving lights on, even when there is no fog.

Bottom line, it's a personal preference since it's not violating any law.

This thread is done. Time to move on.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 3 2004, 01:48 PM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Sep 3 2004, 09:20 PM'] got him on a technicallity, but his point remains valid...
hhmm... So you think because it's not illegal in the US it's OK, even if you bother other ppl with it?
One day someone will sue somebody else because the accident he had was caused by somebody on the other side who had his foglights on...

Anyways, why do you think it is illegal in some countrys? Because we are all chickens over here?

However, I think everything is said in this thread and if you want to continue this pissing contest send me a PM. This board is made for E60 discussions, let's get back to it. This discussion is going on for 24 hours now and not leading us anywhere - everybody has his view and opinion on it.

I suggest that everyone better think about the subject twice, and if you still wanna do it, you now know how some ppl feel about it.
Thank you! [/quote]
Iceman, you seem to be wound a bit tightly today! Do I think you're all chickens over in Europe???? WTF?! Where did that come from. I'm not the one having the pissing contest, I was simply trying to point out that there were valid points made and there were. Have a great weekend!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Sep 3 2004, 09:59 PM
"Fog: The best advice for driving in the fog is DON?T. You should consider postponing your trip until the fog clears. However, if you must drive, then slow down and turn on your low beam headlights. The light from high beams will reflect back and cause glare. **NEVER** drive with just your parking or fog lights."

It appears to legal to drive with your fog lights and driving lights on, even when there is no fog.
But even they suggest that you use them in fog. This whole paragraph they are talking about fog condition driving only...
Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributors

:bashwall: :bashwall: :bashwall: :bashwall: :bashwall: :bashwall: :bashwall:

fellas, fellas, relax. Obviously there is no way to change a persons mind on this subject. Let's give it a rest.

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?