E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Sep 3 2004, 03:34 PM
and its funny how the people that don't use them say that its ignorant and looks stupid for anyone over 21 yrs. don't get me wrong i love the e60 and i have a 545i myself (the best car out there) but there are people out there that will look at our cars and think of it the ugliest car out there....their own preference in taste....i can say that in germany it is stupid to have them on and here in USA its the norm...believe it or NOT~
I don't use them because I repect the other individuals out there.
I use them in fog and I know how it looks and what they do.

It is ignorant and stupid and shows that the driver doesn't know how to use his car correctly.

saurabh,
and now tell me that I maybe see one driver having them on when I'm in the US!?
And just fyi, I do have a green card and a US address where I am as often as possible...

DaveR, nice pic.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Sep 3 2004, 07:52 AM
what is that?
It's the built-in holster option for German Police E60

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-03-2004, 07:14 AM
JDN
Contributors

It's not a big deal in Texas either. I don't run with them, because it is another negative on the electrical system that is plenty busy already.

I don't think fog lights improve driver vision, even in fog. They do help for close up inspection of alleys and the like at slow (think crawl) speeds where you want to watch out for the tires.

They may help keep your car more visible at ALL times and could be used as daytime running lights if someone so chose. If I run them in the fog at all, it is to make my car more visible to others. I think that is why many used to be amber - caution for other drivers.

I have long been a proponent of running with brights in fog for maximum road visibilty. What I discovered is that a lot of reflective road signs are not visible in the fog with dims and fog lights on. Put the brights on and those same signs appear much farther out. Common sense says that the improved visibility of road signs is not limited to just road signs, but very likely all objects that reflect light.

When you put the brights on, it apears you are not seeing as much, but the road sign test tells me otherwise. I dim for others, but only after I perceive they are close enough for my brights to be a problem.

Other than that, I don't see what the big deal is about running with or without fog lights. If properly aimed to the area directly in front of the car as Bimmer foglights are, whose would you be bothering. Your normal low beam is much more offensive to oncoming traffic. None of this applies to German highway rules.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Hey Ice, I am back to work (7:30AM my own business too)

Look everyone. If you like to drive with your foglight OFF, then by all means do.
I like them on because I don't think I am bothering anybody. I am not doing for looks as I have mentioned before. Otherwise, I would be putting those Invincible-8000-watts-super-duper-ultra-hyper-bright-electric-blue bulbs.

There are many things that people do that would seem stupid to many others. Whether it is really stupid or not, it doesn't matter. Just let it be. If you need a work out, just visit roadfly. Keep an open mind and let's not scare off anyone here.

The button to turn the foglights on or off is really easy to operate. Just push it on and leave it on if you like or vice versa. It's all cool...............
Old 09-03-2004, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Sep 3 2004, 07:34 AM
My verdict is that all you germans are pissed off from the beginning that FOGs are illegal to use there.
The deal in Germany is not that they are illegal, but that they are legal only in foggy conditions, and illegal the rest of the time because they can irritate other drivers. I don't find the front ones very annoying, but I guess some do.

The bigger issue on annoyance from fogs is the rear light. I think Americans who have the rear fog light don't even know it's on. In Germany, when your front fogs go on, the rear one (it's only on one side in the rear) does, too, and it's REALLY bright. Awesome in fog, to give you advance warning that there is a car in front of you, but painful when it isn't foggy. I once forgot it was on in Germany, and the driver behind me flashed his brights at me until I figured out what he was talking about.

You know, I don't even know if my 545 has an automatic rear fog light. Can somebody tell me? I guess I'll check tonight.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 3 2004, 05:16 PM
I like them on because I don't think I am bothering anybody. I am not doing for looks as I have mentioned before.
Not doing it for looks... Then stop using them...
Believe me, it is bothering some ppl. Not all of them, but some. Having them on means that you don't care about them, that's ignorant.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Gray, Sport Package, Nav, Logic 7, 20 inch Asanti's

Call them what you want, FOG lights or DRIVING lights. Bottom line is you can see better at night with them on and that is a good thing, who care what people think! They don't intrude on other people's vision, so what's the big deal? Get over it!!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by delatorre41' date='Sep 3 2004, 07:48 PM
Call them what you want, FOG lights or DRIVING lights. Bottom line is you can see better at night with them on and that is a good thing, who care what people think! They don't intrude on other people's vision, so what's the big deal? Get over it!!!!!
They DO bother other people and they DON'T give you a better vision!
You just think it is so, but it isn't!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I really don't know why using foglights by others bothers you that deeply Ice. I will not stop using them because I am not convinced by your reasons.

I am curious, have you had a bad childhood or accidents perhaps, due to other people using their foglights? Just curious, no offenses intended.

This would be my last post in this thread I promise. I am going golfing now. So feel free to express yourself.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I'm sorry, did I accidently hit a link to Road Fly?????

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?