E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drive with FOG lights on when it is not FOGGY, you are a tit.

There you go, you can close the thread now.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: DMS 535d. Titanium Silver on Black leather. M- Sport Package.

I believe that fog lights should be used only when required i.e. very bad weather.
However I've noticed that in many car magazines (especially UK ones) when they photograph cars they have the fog lights on with low beam main lights (I guess a lot of mag editors thing it looks good). This car image however is passed on to many car owners thinking that their cars looks better with the lights on

(Just a thought)

Cheers

Kyriacos
Old 09-03-2004, 02:38 AM
Contributors

Driving with fog lights alllways on just show's ignorance, and a tottal lack of respect with the other drivers.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by E604U2NV' date='Sep 3 2004, 06:16 AM
i dont think they do anything special when there is fog, its purely for looks. And they do make the car look a lot better to on coming traffic.
Well, then you never experienced real fog. Fog lights are extremely helpfull when it's foggy. I can tell you that I've been driving in fog where the visibilty was about 5 Meters, that's about 4.5 yards. The high beams light up the fog and makes it like a white wall right in front of you. You then use the foglights and get visibility of about 15 Meters, because the light is "under" your view. You don't experience a white wall in front of your car anymore. That's what they are there for. Nothing else! Not design, nor looks!!! It's purely a safety feature!!!
And the oncoming traffic does get annoyed by them and you make a fool out of yourself. It looks stupid! The angeleyes look waaaay better... and when your god damn fog lights are on the oncoming traffic can't see the angel eyes... It just shows you have no respect at all for the other ppl on the road!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:15 AM
Contributors

Alright jumping in....

In the late 70s and 80s when car headlights had no defined beam and created a wall of illuminated fog in front of you fog lights had a purpose. Since I bought my first pair of hella z beams in 1988 that had a defined cut-off of the light beam and did not illuminate the fog above the hood line fog lights became useless even in the thickest fog. Doubly so with the sharp cut off line of the xenons. Living in Germany has given me my first taste of the fog light installed on the back of the car these are 100 times more useful than the ones on the front!

On coming fog lights are most annoying to me when the road is wet because there low angle to the road ensures they reflect right into my eyes! This is the exact time most people decide it is time to use them.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

to side track from all the comments that everyone has made....i can say that its annoying for people to go over the speed limit, i think its annoying for people to put body kits on their cars and spoilers and tints. Tints are used mainly for people who have eye problems due to the sun but that still doesn't stop many people from getting them...and mainly people in their 20s.

my verdict is that all you germans are pissed off from the beginning that FOGs are illegal to use there. and frankly...if these were to be real fog lights....they should have been amber in color and not clear.

and its funny how the people that don't use them say that its ignorant and looks stupid for anyone over 21 yrs. don't get me wrong i love the e60 and i have a 545i myself (the best car out there) but there are people out there that will look at our cars and think of it the ugliest car out there....their own preference in taste....i can say that in germany it is stupid to have them on and here in USA its the norm...believe it or NOT~
Old 09-03-2004, 05:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

Off.

They are fog lights, not fashion lights. Consideration for other drivers is something far too many US drivers ignore.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

its funny how people on this forum are soooooooooo concerened about such a small bulb and how consideration is a factor to other drivers all of a sudden but they really don't think consideration for other when driving 100 mph over the speed limit...

hummmmm....... <_<
Old 09-03-2004, 05:49 AM
Contributors

I'm in the US, and I'm totally with Iceman on this one. Fog lights are illegal to use in some states when there is no fog. Europeans are really strict about this stuff too. I was driving around Vienna in a rental on a foggy night (not really foggy, though). A cop pulled me over and made me turn off the foglights (granted I was in the car for 30 minutes at this point, and didn't even realize they were on -- had a static fog light switch like E39, not like the E60).

What really pisses me off here in the US, is dumb asses driving with their rear fog lights on. They are NOT illegal here, btw. They are extremely useful in heavy fog, but around here, I'd say over 30% of Audi, Volvo, MB and Saab drivers seem to have their rear fogs on all the fricken time. Makes me want to order this option:

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-03-2004, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

what is that?

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?