E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 2 2004, 10:39 PM
Last time I checked, my FOG lights are less bright than my Xenon headlights and don't project nearly as far.
It isn't about how far they project -- foglights are designed to project more to the side and less straight ahead. That's why they work in fog. If you're looking at where they light the road, you're not looking far enough ahead to be safe.

Whether you believe it or not, fog lights do cause additional, unnecessary glare to oncoming cars when they are passing close to you, not far away. Sure, SUV's make things worse due to their height but fog lights on cars cause glare too.

I'm sure you'll agree that Germany takes driving and safety very seriously. You need to do more than fog a mirror (no pun intended) to get a license there (in contrast to the requirements here in the US). They have strict enforcement of strict laws designed to keep motorists safe. If fog lights aren't a nuisance to other motorists, why would it be illegal to use them over there when it isn't foggy?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

OK. I'll turn them off from now on!

One way to be sure that my Fog Lights are off is to leave my High Beams ON.

(sorry - too many beers tonight - getting a little testy - time to log off).
Old 09-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

I drive with them on sometimes. It lights up the sides of the road better and fills the gap between the low beams and the bumper.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 BMW 525i sport

I always drive with my fog lights on. Honestly, i dont think they do anything special when there is fog, its purely for looks. And they do make the car look a lot better to on coming traffic.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

i personally never found 'Fog Lights' to be ever so effective in FOG. but hey who is to say that its sooo 'eighties' to have them on all the time....everyone has their own preferences
Old 09-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

Actually, fog lights are also LEGAL in Germany. Fog lights were originally installed to help the driver see better in the fog, heavy rain and even snowfall.

In addition, European cars are all equiped with rear foglights (which are not LEGAL in the USA - now I know why) which, in Germany, can only be used in periods of heavy fog when drivers cannot see more that 50 meters (160 yards) ahead. Then if your rear fog light is on, you are only allowed to travel at speeds of 50 KM (30 MPH) or less.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Members

In my opinion, if you're trying to be cool and you're over 21 years of age, you'll look cooler with them off... Unless, that is, it's foggy outside!! [QUOTE]

Rudy:

Nicely put

'
Old 09-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Contributors

Foglights from oncoming drivers, e60s included do not have any effect on my vision. If one wants to drive with them on, then I have no problem with that. I am more concerned with misaligned xenons myself.

About the fogs being illegal, who really cares. Speeding is illegal last time I checked, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone.

I rarely use my fogs, but on one occasion I was driving on a dark one lane highway with construction barriers on each side. The road being quite narrow coupled with my unfamiliarity made me a bit uneasy. After turning on my fogs, my vision and confidence increased immensely.

If one uses the fogs for "looks," then I'm a bit confused. The xenons have a comparitively whiter light than the fogs do. If one turns on the fogs, the path of light turns yellow, which takes away from the looks.

If your really after looks and rarely have fog in your area, then switch out the fogs for a whiter bulb, possibly even xenons. That be sure to upset our fellow german friend.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 2 2004, 05:22 PM
[quote name='kigerka' date='Sep 3 2004, 01:21 AM'] Cops are serious here.
Me too. [/quote]
i am with the ice-dude on this one BIG time... i know i've p'd a couple of people off with my opinions hereabouts as of late BUT

just one more opinion if you do not mind:

BONEHEADS use fog lights when it is not foggy
BONEHEADS do not realise that it is in fact *very* irritating to oncoming drivers

Old 09-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Senior Members

interesting thread.

in the uk I would say I could count on one hand the number of times in the last 10 yrs i've been driving and atually felt that visibility was so badly reduced I had a need to use fog lights.

In the UK you can (and rightly so!!!!!!) be prosecuted for the use of front fogs in clear conditions...I have a friend who is a traffic cop and his statement was "If the lens/lamp is a fog light, (for seriously reduced visibility, less than 100m) and the vehicle is displaying them in clear conditions then an offence is commited".

I also know a few people who have been "pulled" and fined by the police for this offence and IMO that is justified....though most of them got away with a telling off.

So get your foglights switched off you eeeeeejits who drive round with them on in clear conditions ! and be proud of your angel eyes and Xenons

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?