E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='680472' date='Sep 29 2008, 02:07 AM
Why would fog lights be annoying to people? They are close to the ground and so wouldn't blind people in the rear view mirror and they are much dimmer than low beam lights. Also, if people drive with them on during the day there is no F#cking way it could blind someone considering how low the light is... I think all the people complaining just have a real problem... I really think they are just pissed off losers who are always angry at everything and probably have no friends... just for the hell of it, I drive with my fog lights on 24/7... seriously people need to get a life if something as small as this really affects their day... how about all the retards that drive at night with just their parking lights on? Any thread for that?
You should really watch your mouth.

Just accept that it is annoying to some and that it even can be dangerous to some.

The government in Austria thought the same about DRL. They thought there's no way it is dangerous. Guess what, proven wrong! They had DRL for a while and accidents increased.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Who revived this old thread? Ughhh... NEXT!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='680474' date='Sep 28 2008, 08:12 PM
You should really watch your mouth.

Just accept that it is annoying to some and that it even can be dangerous to some.

The government in Austria thought the same about DRL. They thought there's no way it is dangerous. Guess what, proven wrong! They had DRL for a while and accidents increased.

You watch your mouth... you think you are some tough guy or something? You don't even live in the states but if you did I would like to you see come here and make me "watch my mouth"... I'd kick your ass so fast... then I'd put my fog lights in your eyes all night! Come on... let's see what tough guy comment you got for me and everyone else on here... you know you are a damn loser... go on, hide behind your childish anger and the internet... it's funny to see your tough guy words all over here... just let's everyone know how much of an ass you are.... you can write whatever, I'm not gonna respond to your retarded a$$ anymore....
Old 09-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='680486' date='Sep 28 2008, 08:52 PM
I'm not gonna respond to your retarded a$$ anymore....
Do you realize who you are talking to....one of the moderators of this board?! You might NOT be able to respond! You might want to watch it or you will be B.....
Old 09-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

I'm feeling the love.

Anyways,
I use my fogs only at night, AND only if the roads are poorly illuminated. I have a few streets by my house that don't have public lighting (or it's just every dim).
Occasionally, I put them on for show.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

fogs help u see potholes on NYC roads
Old 09-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='680487' date='Sep 28 2008, 08:56 PM
Do you realize who you are talking to......one of the moderators of this board?! You might NOT be able to respond! You might want to watch it or you will be B....
Give me an....

A
Old 09-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Members

My Ride: Stock 2004 530i with most options. 18" M5 look alike wheels Bought August 2008 with 34k on it. 2006 Range Rover Sport with K&N filter and Borla cat back exhaust. Maybe a Defender soon or an old M3 to play with, although the wife has other ideas!

I always drive with them on at night. I feel like I can see better, especially at 45 degree angles outward. It seems to illuminate the edge of the road at shorter distances.

I also think they are driving lights, NOT foglights. Even though lamps of this type are almost always referred to as such, I was always under the impression that a TRUE foglight has an amber yellow lens, not clear. That way, the reflectivity of the light beam is dramatically reduced in fog while still providing some distance. Kind of the same deal as driving in fog with high beams on verses low beams. Always have better vision with low beams.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Do they also illuminate the road better during the day?

I think it's very important to drive with ALL lights ON. Brake lights included
Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think a deep breath is needed for those of you that are resorting to personal attacks and name calling...

Clearly this is a controversial subject but we should be able to debate it in a more civilized manner -- regardless of your position. I realize that over the years this thread has become something all of us (especially me ) has joked about and I'm sure some members are frustrated that it's been resurrected again (although this time it wasn't my fault!) Please don't cross the line and begin to attack other members -- if you can't post something constructive, don't post at all!

Now, speaking of constructive posts, I'd like to repost something I posted earlier in this thread (post #120) in case there are some people who don't feel like reading the entire thread, etc.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='524708' date='Jan 30 2008, 12:31 PM
Even though I've commented on this issue in the past (in multiple threads) and I'm sure I won't help put this issue to rest, here's the way I see it...

First of all, some facts:
  • Fog lights are designed for use in fog and other low-visibility situations where a reduced speed is necessary to maintain safe travel.
  • Front fog lights illuminate less in front of the car and more to the sides of the road.
  • Front fog lights are not Xenon or HID because the higher output "blue" shade of light is not as effective as a white, yellow, or amber light in foggy conditions.
  • Rear fog lights are designed to allow other traffic to see you from behind as they approach you.
  • In some countries, it is illegal to use fog lights when the conditions do not warrant their use.
  • The pupil in the human eye closes when ambient light levels increase.
  • Use of fog lights in normal driving conditions (no fog or reduced visibility) is a very controversial subject around the world.

Now for some opinions (that may be considered facts by some):
  • The low angle of attack of fog lights can cause a high reflection off of the road that can dazzle approaching drivers as they get closer to the light source. This reflection is magnified on a wet (more reflective) road.
  • Using rear fog lights in clear conditions is very annoying to cars following behind you.
  • BMW consciously changed the fog light switch from one that stays on all the time (until the driver turns it off) to one that turns itself off automatically when the car is turned off due to the abundance of drivers who were unknowingly causing a safety problem for other drivers and to help owners abide by local laws.
  • Claiming that using fog lights in clear conditions helps you see things in the periphery like deer, etc. is a misconception. The only way that the side illumination from fog lights would help spot a deer and still allow time to react would be if you were travelling less than 10 miles per hour (give or take a few mph.)
  • When driving at night, the more light available immediately in front of the car (not in the distance), the harder it is to see further down the road since the pupils of the human eye close and allow less light to enter the eye. (This is the same reason why you should always dim the instrument panel at night to decrease ambient light and allow your pupils to open more.)
  • Claiming that fog lights don't dazzle oncoming traffic just because they don't bother you personally when other people have them on does not mean they don't still dazzle people. If they didn't dazzle people at all, there wouldn't be laws on the books about proper use and there wouldn't be such controversy about the subject around the world.
  • Driving around with fog lights turned on under normal road conditions doesn't look as cool as some people think. It isn't 1980 anymore -- too many regular "uncool" cars have fog lights now so activating them unnecessarily doesn't add any coolness. If anything, it makes you look less cool.
  • There is a stereotype out there among the masses that BMW drivers are assholes because they drive too aggressively and often have their foglights on when it's not foggy.
  • Although I'd love to be wrong, nothing I say here will change the minds of the people who choose to drive with the fog lights on even when it's not foggy.

I'm sure I could go on and on but for now, I think it's pretty clear what I'm trying to say. Just for fun, take a look at what a lighting expert has to say about this subject: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/li.../fog_lamps.html
Also, here's a link to a page from a police site in the UK that addresses this issue: http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q400.htm

To prove how controversial a subject this is (as if anyone needs additional proof ), here are links to two different automotive related forums where this subject has come up:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/rant-room/9...light-fuds.html
http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/i...howtopic=45582

Needless to say, when I Googled this, there were many, many more hits that yield similar discussions about the proper use of fog lights. Interestingly, I can't seem to find any lighting experts that take the position that using them in clear conditions is a good practice! (If someone can find one, I'd love to see it...)

Have fun everyone!
Happy driving -- fog or no fog, fog lights or no fog lights!

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?