E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by bimmerguy288' post='426910' date='May 21 2007, 04:56 PM
Well, with due respect, that car (330d) the poster was refering to was in Europe somewhere, NOT in U.S.A. So much for "bad taste of the American people.
Beat me to it! But I'm sure we have more than our fair share as well...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='426922' date='May 21 2007, 11:26 PM
Well said.

When I was younger, I lived and worked in Europe for several years. I came back to the States as a complete Europhile, feeling quite smug and sophisticated. Then I grew up and realized that entrepreneurship and very hard work can really pay off here in a way that it just does not or cannot in Europe. I still consider myself a Europhile, but I'm also a proud American capitalist.

And while it's easy to critique the PT Barnum-ism bad taste of the American public, while in Europe I can't help but notice the crowds in every Starbuck's in Germany and the wild profits of McDonald's in France (although I've never met a Frenchman who eats there - strange).

I don't criticize either culture. I just recognize the best of each of them. So although I agree that those who upwardly badge are "wankers" (a great expression that we don't have here), those who keep their big V8 badges because they're proud of their achievement are not braggarts.
If only we could combine the 2 cultures.By that I mean combining the entrepreneurship (and more importantly the RESPECT for entrepeneurs) of Americans with the preferred self effacing modesty of Brit / European culture. Less arrogance and more success.Wahey !!

Then again combined the wrong way we could end up with a Loudmouth know-it-all dickbrain with Mr Bean incompetence.........
Old 05-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by ressla' post='426955' date='May 22 2007, 12:47 AM
Then again combined the wrong way we could end up with a Loudmouth know-it-all dickbrain with Mr Bean incompetence.........

Too late. He's already in the white house.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 330 Convertible

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='426941' date='May 21 2007, 07:21 PM
Beat me to it! But I'm sure we have more than our fair share as well...
Agree. It just annoys me that some people like to bash Americans every chance they get. BTW, I wasn't even born here. Most people with 525s, 530s here don't stick a 545 or 550 badge on their cars. Sure there are a few idiots who do that.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ressla' post='426955' date='May 21 2007, 07:47 PM
If only we could combine the 2 cultures.By that I mean combining the entrepreneurship (and more importantly the RESPECT for entrepeneurs) of Americans with the preferred self effacing modesty of Brit / European culture. Less arrogance and more success.Wahey !!
Reminds me of that old saying about Canada . . . a country that had the possibility of combining French culture, British government and American ingenuity, instead ended up with American culture, French government and British ingenuity!!

Please, it's just a joke . . . no offense to the Americans, French, British or Canadians!!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='426970' date='May 21 2007, 05:24 PM
Reminds me of that old saying about Canada . . . a country that had the possibility of combining French culture, British government and American ingenuity, instead ended up with American culture, French government and British ingenuity!!

Please, it's just a joke . . . no offense to the Americans, French, British or Canadians!!!!
What has this forum come to? Emotions flying so high that one of our earliest and esteemed members has to qualify a little humor.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Not sure if this thread has come to the attention of this other thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40306

For those who say that you would never de-badge a 550i, there it is.... Check out the location too
Much better looking, gotta love her clean rear
Old 05-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='427301' date='May 22 2007, 02:42 PM
Not sure if this thread has come to the attention of this other thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40306

For those who say that you would never de-badge a 550i, there it is.... Check out the location too
Much better looking, gotta love her clean rear
I've said it before (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=294624) and I'll say it again...I'd debadge if I had a 525/530/545/550...even an M5. Just like the clean look.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

I live in rural Arkansas.

I guess 90% people here would not be able to differentiate a BMW 5 series from a Pontiac let alone a 525 from M5.
I don't think 90% people care about what you drive. Just my 2 cents.

Infact of all the people, the guy who does my car insurance, did not have a clue that BMW was German! Not that there is anything wrong with that.

However I did have a good laugh at the picture of 330 with the M badge.

And that ass hat joke was hilarious if you try to imagine a hat on your ass.

(No disrespect to my fellow Arkansans-I love it here)
Old 05-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='426888' date='May 21 2007, 05:10 PM
While I generally agree with you, how much is truly a desire to be modest versus how much is to avoid being being cursed by others as you cited above? There is a difference between a genuine desire to be modest and low key about things and the desire to avoid the reaction of others (and not get your car keyed!).

While you are correct that we Americans reward achievment and tend toward excess, I still firmly believe that most Americans simply accept the badges because that is the way they come from the factory. Most, if the cars came debaged, would not be asking to have a badge put on. As I pointed out much earlier in this thread, almost all dealers in the states put badges or decals on the rear of the car with their name as a form of advertising. They are usually quite unattractive but the vast majority of drivers simply leave them on here in the states, just like the badges.

Yeah, somehow I missed the post you responded to. That's preposterous that people don't flaunt wealth in EU.

I have seen plenty of this during my travels. My best documentation (and most recent) was in Milan a year ago. I snapped these two photos last May on a lazy Saturday morning. About 10 seconds apart.

Yes, the Aston was -roaring- away in a HUGE showy fashion.

At night it was even worse near the clubs in Brera. Howling Ferraris and Lambos.

London has its fair share too - probably more large-engined cars than I have seen in other EU countries. HK? Not EU, but tons of people from there with tons of nice cars. Ridiculously nice cars.

My dealer had a clause in the contract about the dealer sticker. I had it stricken from the contract and I stipulated that they were not permitted to affix the sticker to my trunklid.

Quick Reply: The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t