E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering after I read that it was a no-cost option, why tons of europeans do this and have no badge whereas I have never seen a debadged car here in the US unless the person did it afterwards and even then hardly ever see them. And its hard to argue that they do not look way better and cleaner without the badge so is it just the arrogance of americans in wanting everyone to know what they drive?

To be honest, 90 percent of girls I know and have met completely look at something like a badge-and do not know enough about the cars to recognize one model from another-so if your reason is to pick up chicks then I see.

But for me I could care less if people know what I drive-I just like the cleanest, nicest looking car on the road (or atleast try to be) and take pride in always having my car in tip top shape.

Just dont get it about america-basically why dont we debadge?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I've always debadge my bimmers. In fact, I debadge other peoples cars too, when they're asleep at night. LOL!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: E91 325i ´06

I can?t answer for the US owners out there, but I have ordered all my BMW?s debadged.
For two reasons:
1. The rear looks IMO much cleaner..

2. I don?t feel the need to tell anybody which engine I?m driving, I know and that?s enough for me... Unfortunately, in Sweden (and other Euro countries I?m sure), driving an expensive car/boat/living in a nice big house is very annoying to quite a few people. They are unable to be happy for other people?s situation, it?s really very sad.
I could rant like crazy about this but nuff said for now!

Cheers
Old 05-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

95% of U.S. BMW drivers don't give it any thought - they buy the car and trade it in a few years later. When you think about it, there is no reason to debadge - its not like the badges are green or 6 inches high.

The question is: why do Europeans do it?

Edit: Krill may have provided the answer. Americans are more likely to upgrade their badge - now that is pathetic.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='425992' date='May 18 2007, 12:47 PM
95% of U.S. BMW drivers don't give it any thought - they buy the car and trade it in a few years later. When you think about it, there is no reason to debadge - its not like the badges are green or 6 inches high.

The question is: why do Europeans do it?

Edit: Krill may have provided the answer. Americans are more likely to upgrade their badge - now that is pathetic.
Ya randomly AOL news had an article about that the other day how more and more americans are slapping M badges on, AMG badges on V12 instead of their V8 badges on-pathetic!! I mean anyone who knows anything about their cars, other Bimmer or Merc drivers are going to spot a fake right away and it is just laughable. Most car enthusiasts know the basics of the higher end cars and will spot the fake. So who does that leave left to trick? Odds are if someone is falling for the badge trick, they are unlikely going to even comprehend what the badge means. I am willing to bet most americans on the streets do not realize an M badge is any better than a 550 or whatever-maybe I am wrong but seems like a stupid move.

Reminds me of those V6 mustangs I see around town, ALWAYS driven by a latino with a tin can exhaust and rims an a GT sticker somewhere on the car trying to be a V8 GT mustang-cracks me up and I dont know the first thing about the new stangs except I can spot a fake when I see one! Crazy

Now even slapping a 550 badge on a 530 for example-most bmw owners, atleast 5 series owners would spot the fake due to the rims being different-ya just cant cheat your way into a bigger better car! There is ALWAYS something bigger and better. Ferrari owners likely look at a 5 series like a POS compared to their car but that is life!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Cool

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='425984' date='May 18 2007, 01:27 PM
To be honest, 90 percent of girls I know and have met completely look at something like a badge-and do not know enough about the cars to recognize one model from another-so if your reason is to pick up chicks then I see.
Whatta ??? U serious? damn, I better re-badge right away No wonder I don't get any lately Just kidding
The de-badge topic has been heavily discussed, besides I like better the American fat-so thread that came up the other day
Old 05-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='425992' date='May 18 2007, 02:47 PM
I agree with this. And I am always amazed at the number of folks, especially those driving higher-end cars, that allow the dealer to stick the little decal or badge on the car with the dealers name and never remove it! Despite my instructions to not put it on my car (or my wife's X5) they did it. And both times I made my salesman remove it before we accetped the car.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Cool

As the backlash grows against green house gas emitting vehicles extends to performance cars (current rage mainly focused on SUVs), I may need to debage and add a hydrid badge to the deck lid.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Why do we debadge in EU?

Here's why: envy!

If I'd leave the 545 badge on my E60 I would have damages all over it (like scratches) about two or three times a year!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

A lot of 520i and 520d 's run de-badged, perhaps for different reasons

Quick Reply: The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t