E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Some of our discussion seems to be turning in the direction of disrespectfulness towards women. I don't think we should be dissing anyone. And, we do have some female members.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ressla' post='426129' date='May 19 2007, 04:54 AM
My car arrived debadged and for a while I was considering re-badging it. However considering that in many parts of the UK people hate you if you are doing "too well"( echoing what Krill said about Sweden), I have decided not to bother.

I'm beginning to prefer the clean look now, despite the fact that if I see another 5er I always check the badge,and hate it when there is none there!

As stated before there are generally 2 main reasons people debadge cars

1)They have a small engine and wish people to think otherwise.
2)They have a powerful engine and wish to avoid unwanted attention.

The phenomenon of people keying/scratching nice cars out jealousy is a real problem over here,but from what I can gather it's something that rarely happens in the states. If this is right then I imagine it's probably due to Americans being aspirational and having more of an appreciation of success than Europeans.

Can anybody confirm this? Do cars ever get "keyed" in the US?
Being originally from the US, and after just living in Austria and Switzerland (now moving back to the US), I agree with comments that I tend to see more people in the US that find successful people as motivating. I have found more people in Europe that are frustrated and disgusted with people who are successful (try testing the debate of how much CEO's should make -- very entertaining and frustrating at the same time). Yes, I have had cars keyed in the US -- and know others who have had too. However in these cases, they were just young punks that would have keyed any car in their drunken path. I do find the cultural discussion of how people view wealth and success very interesting. For myself, I would rather be motivated by those who are successful than waste energy complaining why society (and government) won't give me a "free ride". Work hard, play hard...

In Geneva I have noticed that more lower-end BMWs and Mercs are debadged. Also remember that European produced cars are much more expensive in Europe. This is amazing when you thing about the currency situtation. I would never live long-term in Europe -- the taxes are insane. Just plain not fair and very de-motivating. I want to start my own business someday, but never would in Europe (after just studying the cost of doing/operating a business differentials around the world). I have loved my four year life in Europe, but it has made me and my family apprectiate living in US that much more. Can't wait to get back to non-government provided healthcare...
Old 05-28-2007, 02:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by oilbelcher' post='429023' date='May 28 2007, 05:57 PM
I would never live long-term in Europe -- the taxes are insane.
1st Welcome to the best e60 forum in the world and have fun too
2nd your 100% right about the tax, that why I come over to HK to work, Tax over here is nothing compare to UK.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Members

The entry price to a 525 (now 528) was realitively inexpensive for the US military in europe. People debadge b/c they don't want anyone to know which 5er it really is. I ordered my 535 w/o the badges.

I debadged my Infiniti G-35s for a cleaner chrome-free look. We didn't have an engine choice.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='428789' date='May 27 2007, 10:42 AM
OMG what planet are you on Mars
I hope you know you can get blondes any were in the world.
I have 1 of them in my company.

No offense to nobody, but I can't help looking at any HOT lady passenger in any vehicle. Don't seem to notice that happeneing in HK (they must be on the MTR or taxis), perhaps time for another Asian trip.
Seeing you guys (pinguhk AC_S5 etc) for a meet?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i

Originally Posted by ressla' post='426958' date='May 21 2007, 04:51 PM
Too late. He's already in the white house.
!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by oilbelcher' post='429023' date='May 28 2007, 10:57 AM
Being originally from the US, and after just living in Austria and Switzerland (now moving back to the US), I agree with comments that I tend to see more people in the US that find successful people as motivating. I have found more people in Europe that are frustrated and disgusted with people who are successful (try testing the debate of how much CEO's should make -- very entertaining and frustrating at the same time). Yes, I have had cars keyed in the US -- and know others who have had too. However in these cases, they were just young punks that would have keyed any car in their drunken path. I do find the cultural discussion of how people view wealth and success very interesting. For myself, I would rather be motivated by those who are successful than waste energy complaining why society (and government) won't give me a "free ride". Work hard, play hard...

In Geneva I have noticed that more lower-end BMWs and Mercs are debadged. Also remember that European produced cars are much more expensive in Europe. This is amazing when you thing about the currency situtation. I would never live long-term in Europe -- the taxes are insane. Just plain not fair and very de-motivating. I want to start my own business someday, but never would in Europe (after just studying the cost of doing/operating a business differentials around the world). I have loved my four year life in Europe, but it has made me and my family apprectiate living in US that much more. Can't wait to get back to non-government provided healthcare...

It's a strange situation. Europeans don't want to be seen to overly flaunt their wealth,so some debadge.But people who have an "entry level" or small engined model also debadge because they don't want to look like they could only afford the "basic model".

It's a "I'm-not-really-rich-but-not-poor-either,I'm-doing-OK" culture.
The European mindset is bizarre.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rollee' post='429121' date='May 29 2007, 03:12 AM
perhaps time for another Asian trip.
Seeing you guys (pinguhk AC_S5 etc) for a meet?
I like that.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ressla' post='429174' date='May 29 2007, 07:33 AM
It's a strange situation. Europeans don't want to be seen to overly flaunt their wealth,so some debadge.But people who have an "entry level" or small engined model also debadge because they don't want to look like they could only afford the "basic model".

It's a "I'm-not-really-rich-but-not-poor-either,I'm-doing-OK" culture.
The European mindset is bizarre.
this sounds about right. I go with that.
debadge in HK is not that common, mostly itis for the lower models.
For the rich they just get the top models and got to leave the badge on to show off.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by cwohughes' post='428110' date='May 25 2007, 07:14 AM
Iceman where are you located in Germany. Ron Peterman said I should meet you.
In sight of the IAA fare grounds (Frankfurt/Main).

Quick Reply: The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t