E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='426561' date='May 20 2007, 11:13 PM
Unbelievable! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Yep.

But it looks better/cleaner without it anyways.

I took it off for the look and got a license plate with 545 at the end instead.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='426800' date='May 21 2007, 12:11 PM
Simple answer.
Because in Europe it costs so much more to purchase anything, that the average BMW buyer can't afford anything but a base model. So people debadge their BMWs because they are most likely driving 525's but they want people to think they have a 545. :thumbsdown:
I disagree - it's anything but a simple answer

If you pulled up outside a bar in London driving a new Ferrari, most people would curse you. Do the same in California and I bet most people would congratulate you, maybe ask what you do to afford that car, and aspire to be like you.

For some people understatement is fundamental to their existence - Europeans generally are not "blingy", are modest and don't wish to flaunt their wealth (or perceived wealth). Debadged cars are common in Europe partly for this reason - the owners feel awkward displaying status and wealth amongst their peers. It's not "the done thing" to show off.

Across the pond things seem to be different - in my experience American culture actively encourages and rewards achievement, whereas in Europe we are generally wary of excess and success.

Those who re-badge their car upwards are just wankers.

Oh and I don't think many people in Europe want a 545: The depreciation (and fuel costs) are ridiculous, which is why most Europeans drive diesels
Old 05-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Contributors

If I had a 525 I would definitely debadge it, but I keep the badge on a 550.

I think most E60 in Europe are base models, that is why they debadge so much.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by shiny' post='426869' date='May 21 2007, 03:16 PM
If you pulled up outside a bar in London driving a new Ferrari, most people would curse you. Do the same in California and I bet most people would congratulate you, maybe ask what you do to afford that car, and aspire to be like you.

For some people understatement is fundamental to their existence - Europeans generally are not "blingy", are modest and don't wish to flaunt their wealth (or perceived wealth). Debadged cars are common in Europe partly for this reason - the owners feel awkward displaying status and wealth amongst their peers. It's not "the done thing" to show off.
While I generally agree with you, how much is truly a desire to be modest versus how much is to avoid being being cursed by others as you cited above? There is a difference between a genuine desire to be modest and low key about things and the desire to avoid the reaction of others (and not get your car keyed!).

While you are correct that we Americans reward achievment and tend toward excess, I still firmly believe that most Americans simply accept the badges because that is the way they come from the factory. Most, if the cars came debaged, would not be asking to have a badge put on. As I pointed out much earlier in this thread, almost all dealers in the states put badges or decals on the rear of the car with their name as a form of advertising. They are usually quite unattractive but the vast majority of drivers simply leave them on here in the states, just like the badges.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Originally Posted by ressla' post='426129' date='May 18 2007, 11:54 PM
My car arrived debadged and for a while I was considering re-badging it. However considering that in many parts of the UK people hate you if you are doing "too well"( echoing what Krill said about Sweden), I have decided not to bother.

I'm beginning to prefer the clean look now, despite the fact that if I see another 5er I always check the badge,and hate it when there is none there!

As stated before there are generally 2 main reasons people debadge cars

1)They have a small engine and wish people to think otherwise.
2)They have a powerful engine and wish to avoid unwanted attention.

The phenomenon of people keying/scratching nice cars out jealousy is a real problem over here,but from what I can gather it's something that rarely happens in the states. If this is right then I imagine it's probably due to Americans being aspirational and having more of an appreciation of success than Europeans.

Can anybody confirm this? Do cars ever get "keyed" in the US?
Yes, but I believe it is often a personal matter, such as an ex-boyfriend keying his former girlfriend's car, at least in the instances I have heard about.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='426767' date='May 21 2007, 08:57 AM
Why on earth would you ever do something like that??? That M badge on the left side looks so bad.
As P.T. Barnum said, "you will never go broke over-estimating the bad taste of the American people."
Old 05-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 330 Convertible

Originally Posted by goodman' post='426902' date='May 21 2007, 05:44 PM
As P.T. Barnum said, "you will never go broke over-estimating the bad taste of the American people."
Well, with due respect, that car (330d) the poster was refering to was in Europe somewhere, NOT in U.S.A. So much for "bad taste of the American people.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:06 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I don't understand why Americans are driving anything above 520:s, anything else is plain stupid. A lot of traffic, low speed limits, bad roads and a cop around every corner...
Old 05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by ipp' post='426918' date='May 21 2007, 06:06 PM
I don't understand why Americans are driving anything above 520:s, anything else is plain stupid. A lot of traffic, low speed limits, bad roads and a cop around every corner...
Because it's our God-given right to consume every last drop of petroleum on the planet?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by shiny' post='426869' date='May 21 2007, 04:16 PM
I disagree - it's anything but a simple answer

Across the pond things seem to be different - in my experience American culture actively encourages and rewards achievement, whereas in Europe we are generally wary of excess and success.

Those who re-badge their car upwards are just wankers.

Oh and I don't think many people in Europe want a 545: The depreciation (and fuel costs) are ridiculous, which is why most Europeans drive diesels
Well said.

When I was younger, I lived and worked in Europe for several years. I came back to the States as a complete Europhile, feeling quite smug and sophisticated. Then I grew up and realized that entrepreneurship and very hard work can really pay off here in a way that it just does not or cannot in Europe. I still consider myself a Europhile, but I'm also a proud American capitalist.

And while it's easy to critique the PT Barnum-ism bad taste of the American public, while in Europe I can't help but notice the crowds in every Starbuck's in Germany and the wild profits of McDonald's in France (although I've never met a Frenchman who eats there - strange).

I don't criticize either culture. I just recognize the best of each of them. So although I agree that those who upwardly badge are "wankers" (a great expression that we don't have here), those who keep their big V8 badges because they're proud of their achievement are not braggarts.

Quick Reply: The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t