E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:58 PM
ipp
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

In Sweden you can text the regestration number to the Swedish Road Administration and you'll have all the info about the car that you spot. I've done that to some of my neighbours debadged 5ers. Mostly leased 520-523...
Old 05-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='426511' date='May 20 2007, 08:28 PM
All over Germany...
Unbelievable! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 05-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Sportin' my badge loud and proud. (Whatever that means).

This thread is retarded. How could any reliable conclusions come from linking half-baked cultural generalizations to an obscure automotive practice?

If you think the US owners are a bunch of ass-hats, just say so.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Black Sapphire Metalic, Black Leather Premium package, Navigaation, Cold weather package, Satellite Radio, Rear fold-down seats. My First BMW, and the greatest car I've ever driven.

So...is an "ass hat" a hat that you wear on your ass, or is an ass that used as a hat? I'm confused. And I have the badge on my car, mostly because I never thought of taking it off. Who cares what other people know or don't know? Does that make me an ass hat?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by rtl2' post='426610' date='May 20 2007, 08:04 PM
So...is an "ass hat" a hat that you wear on your ass, or is an ass that used as a hat? I'm confused. And I have the badge on my car, mostly because I never thought of taking it off. Who cares what other people know or don't know? Does that make me an ass hat?

No, heck no you're not an asshat. I'm not taking a side either way on the badging issue... to each his own. I'm an American BTW.

An asshat is simply a funny name to call someone - I picked that particular word to keep things light, but the message should be clear. I feel the OP was insinuating that we Americans are all somehow social-climbing buffoons for not-debadging our cars - and that the EU owners are more enlightened and at ease with their social status.

For such a friendly and relatively "borderless" forum, these kinds of sentiments are troubling when they're voiced so openly.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned

I dont know why you think this thread is stupid-I learned from it-and had no clue that some euro places actually put lower badges on and there is such a hostility towards people with big engines. That definetly is not the case here and the bigger the engine the better people believe in the USA ( I am american and believe the same thing).

So this thread was helpful for me to understand, and now I do why that option is much more popular there. Nothing against us as americans insinuated so chill out
Old 05-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Members

I've always thought what it would feel like to put a smaller badge on my car and race other people.

Reading the above posts there seems to be only 3 reasons why people debadge:
1) it looks clean
2) small engine
3) big engine

But frankly i don't really mind what people do to their cars. It's like the topic of AMG and M badges on mercs and BMWs. If you have an AMG kit or M motorsports kit, the owner is entitled to slap that badge on if they want to even if it's a regular E series of 5 series.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

The reason most people don't debadge is becuase WE DON'T CARE!!!

When my car come with badged, I won't take it off. If my car come with debadged, I certainly won't put a badge on it.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by eR6c' post='426629' date='May 21 2007, 02:41 AM
I've always thought what it would feel like to put a smaller badge on my car and race other people.

Reading the above posts there seems to be only 3 reasons why people debadge:
1) it looks clean
2) small engine
3) big engine

But frankly i don't really mind what people do to their cars. It's like the topic of AMG and M badges on mercs and BMWs. If you have an AMG kit or M motorsports kit, the owner is entitled to slap that badge on if they want to even if it's a regular E series of 5 series.

I'm sure it was on this forum that someone mentioned that they had seen an M5 with a 518i badge which i thought was cool.

The whole concept of debadging a large engine size is due to the cultural differences between the European and US attitudes to success. Many people here hate the idea of someone flaunting their wealth, whereas doing well is something most Americans are not jealous of.

BTW When I see a car with an M badge when it's not an M car, I thinkit it looks a bit tacky even on the M sports kits.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ressla' post='426705' date='May 21 2007, 02:26 AM
BTW When I see a car with an M badge when it's not an M car, I thinkit it looks a bit tacky even on the M sports kits.

You mean like this guy who lives in my street?

The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t-why.jpg

It's a brand new 330d M Sport; a really nice piece of kit. I don't know why the guy has done this to his car. He also has an "M" badge on the front grille

Quick Reply: The "debadge" more popular in Europe-americans are full of t