E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CPO inspection process?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Whats the best way to burn brakes? Ride them downhill or do some 70 to 0 hard stops?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Whats the best way to burn brakes? Ride them downhill or do some 70 to 0 hard stops?
I would guess dragging the brakes heavily the entire time you are driving may work well.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 AM
New Members

VKHONG - thanks so much for your reply. Much appreciated! I had no idea about these things....

Originally Posted by vkhong
- BMW Vehicle history report (shows any open campaigns)

Known as the "DCS Service History printout" and should record all service and maintenance action performed at a BMW Center.

Engine oil services (first four oil changes), inspections, brake services, coolant flush, belts, wipers, engine / cabin air filters, and bodywork.

The printed report will also include all options installed at factory as will as open campaigns (recalls).

- BMW Key reader / CBS report

Condition Based Service report, countdown in miles and / or months for service items such as engine oil, cabin microfilter, brakes, brake fluid, engine coolant. This information can be viewed on the vehicle's onboard info, or can be electronically read off the vehicle key at the BMW Center.

See "Section 1: Vehicle Background & Maintenance" in the PDF file at:
BMW USA Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Inspection Checklist

Due to privacy laws, they may not give you the information, but I have received such reports of prospective purchases with the owner information and VIN obscured. You can always perform a final VIN verification before making the purchase.

I see you drive the E38 7-series. My first BMW was the E36 3-series 5-speed.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by ProMed
Yes it is an option, there are thousands of non-cpo cars available as an option to purchase. If you pay more than a grand extra for a cpo car it's your on fault. I paid the same price or less for my cpo car than most non-cpo cars were available for at the time. It's basically just a 2-year/50,000 powertrain warranty, of course most of the electronics aren't covered.

Another benefit is that a car can't be CPO'd if it has had certain types of damage (i.e. frame damage). I think there is some piece of mind that the car meets certain minimal structural checks. With a non-CPO you would have to have a mechanic or someone knowledgable inspect the car to ensure that it was free of any such damage. Possibly that is easy to eyeball or detect for some but I with the CPO it should be granted.