E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO inspection process?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi V1 hardwire Laser Interceptor 12" JL Audio Ported PowerWedge enclosure with one W1v2 20% tint

Just called my local dealer to schedule a service appt, and when they pulled my VIN they told me that there were 3 outstanding recalls. I just got the car at the end of DEC, so shouldn't they have looked for outstanding recalls as part of the certification process? Seems like they would want to take care of it before selling the car, but maybe they can't if there isn't an "owner?" Should they have handled this stuff before selling the car? just wondering
Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Which 3 recalls?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi V1 hardwire Laser Interceptor 12" JL Audio Ported PowerWedge enclosure with one W1v2 20% tint

1.) N54 Programming
2.) N54 High Pressure Pump
3.) N54 Injectors
Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click on the PDF

The thoroughness and professionalism of the CPO checks vary from dealer to dealer, and indeed it appears as though the CPO certification process is supposed to involve the performance of any open recall procedures and fixes.

Consumer expectations set by BMW NA's marketing folks are frequently not met, which is unfortunate for the brand. If you have the option, I'd find a new dealer - many times this kind of attitude comes from the top, and pervades all parts of the dealer's activities.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by 196ski
Just called my local dealer to schedule a service appt, and when they pulled my VIN they told me that there were 3 outstanding recalls. I just got the car at the end of DEC, so shouldn't they have looked for outstanding recalls as part of the certification process? Seems like they would want to take care of it before selling the car, but maybe they can't if there isn't an "owner?" Should they have handled this stuff before selling the car? just wondering
Yah, recent recalls on my 08xi were just programming recalls. Nothing major - no hardware replacement. If it's a few of those, they aren't a big deal and you shouldn't get worried. Just call your SA and ask which recalls and how long it would take. Book a loner too, tell them you just bought the car and its unacceptable that it was sold when it had pending recalls.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Yah, recent recalls on my 08xi were just programming recalls. Nothing major - no hardware replacement. If it's a few of those, they aren't a big deal and you shouldn't get worried. Just call your SA and ask which recalls and how long it would take. Book a loner too, tell them you just bought the car and its unacceptable that it was sold when it had pending recalls.
I agree ... wonder if they got lazy on any other little details?

May I suggest a one-on-one meeting with the dealer general manager to discuss situations his/her dealership might be facing. Perhaps over a nice steak dinner and a bottle of wine at his/her expense ... IMHO, Ruths Chris or comparable business meeting place would be "appropriate" in consideration of your time and inconvenience
Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

1.) N54 Programming
2.) N54 High Pressure Pump
3.) N54 Injectors
Attached are the recall bulletins for these, the programming is part of the hpfp recall.

Notice they are dated December 2010. Since you bought the car at the end of Dec, the car probably went through the CPO certification process whenever they got it. Could have been months before your purchase date. Not everyone has gotten a recall notice yet, they are rolling it out in waves it seems.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

CPO! Yep, you just experinced their CPO Program.

I dont trust it and will take a look over myself. Just like brakes that may wear out in a month, as long as it is barely with in their specs, they will not touch it and rather see you in 30 days. Applies to everything else too....
Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

I purchased a CPO X3 for my wife. We visited several dealerships in North Jersey and viewed approximately 7-8 different CPO vehicles. Some of them were scary - nothing had been done to them except that the dealer paid for the CPO paperwork.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Did you get a copy of the CPO check list for your vehicle. See "Open Campaigns YES NO." It is informational and does not disqualify for CPO. However, if they lied on the checklist, that's an entirely different matter.

I buy CPO. I always ask for and go over:
- BMW CPO Check list
- BMW Vehicle history report (shows any open campaigns)
- BMW Key reader / CBS report
- Carfax
- For manual tranmission, I explicitly specify a clutch / gearbox transmission inspection: dealer to repair if anything is out-of-spec, or I pay for inspection labor.

Quick Reply: CPO inspection process?