E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CPO inspection process?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since CPO sucks ass, what are some great alternatives to CPO? My warranty runs out in November and I plan to take it to the indy mechanic afterwards.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by ProMed
Attached are the recall bulletins for these, the programming is part of the hpfp recall.

Notice they are dated December 2010. Since you bought the car at the end of Dec, the car probably went through the CPO certification process whenever they got it. Could have been months before your purchase date. Not everyone has gotten a recall notice yet, they are rolling it out in waves it seems.
+1

I had my car in the dealer and specifically asked about the brake recall and they didn't touch it. They told me I had to wait until BMW NA contacted me as they were handling things in waves. Sure enough the next week I got my letter in the mail. Depending on the nature of the issue it may simply not have been your car's turn in the line.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by jm545i
I've never made a claim for VANOS solenoid valves, but I don't know how they can claim that they're on the not covered list. Even the windshield washed pump should be covered IMO.

I've had pretty good response to all CPO claims. Entertainment-related electronics not being covered certainly sucks, but if you think of it as insurance against a major powertrain failure it's a little easier to stomach the cost.

CPO Warranty - not covered: CPO - Not Covered

I am on my second 5 series CPO. The CPO on the first car saved me a few thousand bucks. Hopefully my luck will be the same this time around as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi V1 hardwire Laser Interceptor 12" JL Audio Ported PowerWedge enclosure with one W1v2 20% tint

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Seems like your post was hijacked by a disgruntled BMW customer. Sorry 'bout that!

Keep us posted on the progress you make with your dealership service department having the recent recalls addressed

replaced the HPFP, 2 injectors, and reprogrammed. They even washed my floor mats while they had it
Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by badvikes84
There were a couple of things mentioned in a previous post -

- BMW Vehicle history report (shows any open campaigns)
- BMW Key reader / CBS report

Can anyone shed light as to what these are? Does the vehicle history report show all service visits into the dealer, issues, fixes, etc?

What is the BMW Key Reader / CBS Report?

Any assistance would be nice. I currently own an 01 E38, and am in the initial planning stages for determining what my next vehicle will be - strongly considering 08 528xi at some point this year.

Thanks!
- BMW Vehicle history report (shows any open campaigns)

Known as the "DCS Service History printout" and should record all service and maintenance action performed at a BMW Center.

Engine oil services (first four oil changes), inspections, brake services, coolant flush, belts, wipers, engine / cabin air filters, and bodywork.

The printed report will also include all options installed at factory as will as open campaigns (recalls).

- BMW Key reader / CBS report

Condition Based Service report, countdown in miles and / or months for service items such as engine oil, cabin microfilter, brakes, brake fluid, engine coolant. This information can be viewed on the vehicle's onboard info, or can be electronically read off the vehicle key at the BMW Center.

See "Section 1: Vehicle Background & Maintenance" in the PDF file at:
BMW USA Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Inspection Checklist

Due to privacy laws, they may not give you the information, but I have received such reports of prospective purchases with the owner information and VIN obscured. You can always perform a final VIN verification before making the purchase.

I see you drive the E38 7-series. My first BMW was the E36 3-series 5-speed.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Yes it is an option, there are thousands of non-cpo cars available as an option to purchase. If you pay more than a grand extra for a cpo car it's your on fault. I paid the same price or less for my cpo car than most non-cpo cars were available for at the time. It's basically just a 2-year/50,000 powertrain warranty, of course most of the electronics aren't covered.
At a BMW dealership?? Why would BMW (or any other car manufacturer) sell a used car that is NOT CPO'ed. I could see if the car was over 6 years old, but otherwise it tarnishes the whole concept of buying from a dealer.

And where can you buy a CPO'ed car for less than a grand over a non-CPO (assuming everything else is the same). If you paid out of pocket the cost is about 2 grand.

You can't wear 5mm of friction material driving off the lot.

Maybe not off the lot but definitely on the way home if you make a few hard stops. Besides, 5mm of pad thickness would almost certainly show up as "yellow" on the idrive and the brake sensor/warning guage would definitely be scratching the rotor when you pressed the brakes. I got new front pads and rotors from this condition and idrive said the pads were still good for 16k miles.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka
At a BMW dealership?? Why would BMW (or any other car manufacturer) sell a used car that is NOT CPO'ed. I could see if the car was over 6 years old, but otherwise it tarnishes the whole concept of buying from a dealer.

And where can you buy a CPO'ed car for less than a grand over a non-CPO (assuming everything else is the same). If you paid out of pocket the cost is about 2 grand.
There are plenty of cars sold by BMW dealers that aren't CPO'd, either because they don't want to go through the pain of the CPO process, or because the car won't pass the inspection. Not every dealer runs the program as a scam, and not every dealer is in a market where it makes sense for them to CPO every used car.

If you don't value the CPO coverage, than don't pay for it, don't look for one, and don't worry about it. Buy one from a private seller, buy one from a BMWCCA member, buy one from ebay. There's a perceived market preference for buying an expensive used car from a dealer, but if you don't care, than don't do it and go elsewhere. You'll pay less for sure. I don't know why this has gotten so vitriolic. Everyone has a different opinion, and a BMW dealer certainly isn't the only place to buy a car. So a salesperson in the drive to make a sale overstated some of the benefits of the CPO coverage - not the first time this has happened, and certainly won't be the last. Caveat emptor.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Maybe not off the lot but definitely on the way home if you make a few hard stops. Besides, 5mm of pad thickness would almost certainly show up as "yellow" on the idrive and the brake sensor/warning guage would definitely be scratching the rotor when you pressed the brakes. I got new front pads and rotors from this condition and idrive said the pads were still good for 16k miles.
Do you have any idea how much material is on a new OEM pad?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Do you have any idea how much material is on a new OEM pad?
On an OEM BMW pad? No, since I have yet to do any maintenance on my 5er.

On many other cars I have worked on including my wife's MB - about 1 inch or 250mm.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

On an OEM BMW pad? No, since I have yet to do any maintenance on my 5er.

On many other cars I have worked on including my wife's MB - about 1 inch or 250mm.
Most new pads have around 12-14mm of material when new, probably even MB.

1 inch = ~25mm You don't measure the back plate.

Quick Reply: CPO inspection process?