E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CPO inspection process?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Some really good comments on this thread about CPO. Even with all the care we took with my wife's X3 - we still ended up replacing front brakes, and all the filters after 5K.
CPO has become a joke, really. Then again, I guess it really depends on the dealer. CPO and used vehicles is a big business for dealers.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

sorry, "are"
Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 AM
New Members

There were a couple of things mentioned in a previous post -

- BMW Vehicle history report (shows any open campaigns)
- BMW Key reader / CBS report

Can anyone shed light as to what these are? Does the vehicle history report show all service visits into the dealer, issues, fixes, etc?

What is the BMW Key Reader / CBS Report?

Any assistance would be nice. I currently own an 01 E38, and am in the initial planning stages for determining what my next vehicle will be - strongly considering 08 528xi at some point this year.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi V1 hardwire Laser Interceptor 12" JL Audio Ported PowerWedge enclosure with one W1v2 20% tint

update thus far:
Pump was replaced.
Injectors are TBD and will be looked at tomorrow.
Programming is going to take place overnight.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by ProMed
I've attached the Official CPO Inspection Checklist. It says the brakes must have a minimum 5mm of friction material.
If my math is right then that comes out to .02 inches. You could wear that out driving off the lot.

Originally Posted by ProMed
I wouldn't call CPO a scam. Regardless of how much they fix or not at time of purchase, you still get warranty coverage for most of the major powertrain components for an additional 2 years/ 50,000 miles.
It IS a scam since purchasing the CPO warranty isn't an option. Why pay 2-3k for someone to pencil check a list when you can check every switch, button, and knob yourself? And the "warranty" does NOT cover vehcile electronics.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by pukka
It IS a scam since purchasing the CPO warranty isn't an option. Why pay 2-3k for someone to pencil check a list when you can check every switch, button, and knob yourself? And the "warranty" does NOT cover vehcile electronics.
Yes it is an option, there are thousands of non-cpo cars available as an option to purchase. If you pay more than a grand extra for a cpo car it's your on fault. I paid the same price or less for my cpo car than most non-cpo cars were available for at the time. It's basically just a 2-year/50,000 powertrain warranty, of course most of the electronics aren't covered.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka
If my math is right then that comes out to .02 inches. You could wear that out driving off the lot.
You can't wear 5mm of friction material driving off the lot.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Members

I agree the CPO warranty is just bs. When I bought my car, the salesman told me the CPO warranty is 95% of the new car warranty so I ended up going CPO (there was a car with the exact same specs which was in good condition from a private seller i was considering at the time) even though I ended up paying 2000 to 3000 more for it.

Just recently, I brought my car in and a bushing in the steering wheel needs to be replaced (it's making some noise), the windshield washer fluid pump needs to be replaced and the VANOS solenoid valves need to be replaced and lo and behold, none of the above are covered under the CPO warranty. So it just so happened that all these items fall under the 5% that's not covered by the CPO warranty but would be under the new car warranty? Now, magically, the SA says they say it's closer to 80% of the new car warranty!!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by callicles
Just recently, I brought my car in and a bushing in the steering wheel needs to be replaced (it's making some noise), the windshield washer fluid pump needs to be replaced and the VANOS solenoid valves need to be replaced and lo and behold, none of the above are covered under the CPO warranty. So it just so happened that all these items fall under the 5% that's not covered by the CPO warranty but would be under the new car warranty? Now, magically, the SA says they say it's closer to 80% of the new car warranty!!
I've never made a claim for VANOS solenoid valves, but I don't know how they can claim that they're on the not covered list. Even the windshield washed pump should be covered IMO.

I've had pretty good response to all CPO claims. Entertainment-related electronics not being covered certainly sucks, but if you think of it as insurance against a major powertrain failure it's a little easier to stomach the cost.

CPO Warranty - not covered: CPO - Not Covered
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by callicles
I agree the CPO warranty is just bs. When I bought my car, the salesman told me the CPO warranty is 95% of the new car warranty so I ended up going CPO (there was a car with the exact same specs which was in good condition from a private seller i was considering at the time) even though I ended up paying 2000 to 3000 more for it.

Sounds like your used car salesman was the one full of bs, imagine that. Even the 80% sounds too high. Most of the covered (and un-covered) stuff is available online.

Quick Reply: CPO inspection process?