E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CPO inspection process?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Originally Posted by nonford
Just like brakes that may wear out in a month, as long as it is barely with in their specs, they will not touch it and rather see you in 30 days. Applies to everything else too....
I bought my 07 530i with 19,000 miles at the end of november and guess what.....the computer says i would need brakes with in next 5000 miles ...All i have to say is.....SCREW BMW CPO SHIT....
Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by fast
I bought my 07 530i with 19,000 miles at the end of november and guess what.....the computer says i would need brakes with in next 5000 miles ...All i have to say is.....SCREW BMW CPO SHIT....
I use the CPO checklist to determine what service items are needed soon (set of brakes and pads, bleed can cost $1,000+), and a detailed service quote from the Service Advisor (parts, labor, misc fees, taxes) and use that information during price negotiation. Understandably, the Client Advisor may be reluctant to share the CPO Checklist, but a prospective buyer is entitled to it.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Originally Posted by vkhong
I use the CPO checklist to determine what service items are needed soon (set of brakes and pads, bleed can cost $1,000+), and a detailed service quote from the Service Advisor (parts, labor, misc fees, taxes) and use that information during price negotiation. Understandably, the Client Advisor may be reluctant to share the CPO Checklist, but a prospective buyer is entitled to it.
Knowledge is power and that's exactly what i would do with my next purchase.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by 196ski
I just got the car at the end of DEC, so shouldn't they have looked for outstanding recalls as part of the certification process? Seems like they would want to take care of it before selling the car, but maybe they can't if there isn't an "owner?"
There is no official "certification process".
If you read marketing CPO BS from BMW you will not notice any technical terms there, like brakes must be worn no more than bla-bla. So basically it's up to a stealer to do any CPO related work, obviously they not incited to do any since this decreases their profit. They can easily sell you car with worn brakes, suspension, trans problems, painted after an accident etc.
Speaking generally from my experience any certification promoted by BMW in the US is nothing but a scam.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by hooch999
If you read marketing CPO BS from BMW you will not notice any technical terms there, like brakes must be worn no more than bla-bla.
I've attached the Official CPO Inspection Checklist. It says the brakes must have a minimum 5mm of friction material.

Speaking generally from my experience any certification promoted by BMW in the US is nothing but a scam.
I wouldn't call CPO a scam. Regardless of how much they fix or not at time of purchase, you still get warranty coverage for most of the major powertrain components for an additional 2 years/ 50,000 miles.
Attached Files
Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ProMed
I've attached the Official CPO Inspection Checklist. It says the brakes must have a minimum 5mm of friction material.

I wouldn't call CPO a scam. Regardless of how much they fix or not at time of purchase, you still get warranty coverage for most of the major powertrain components for an additional 2 years/ 50,000 miles.
The problem is why didn't I get that "Official CPO Inspection Checklist"? And where it is on bmwusa.com? It's not there right?
The list you attached is internal stealer checklist a customer will never see. I guess they use that to protect their asses when somebody goes to court fed up with "luxury" German car experience.
My rear pads worn out in 2 months after I purchased the car, regular suburban driving, mostly highways. Good luck asking your stealer fix that under CPO warranty.
I still have wrong fog light in my car which they refuse to replace for free.
I still have malfunctioning gear selector which they refuse to fix.
They sold me the car with a bent rear wheel! I had to sell it to a wheel shop with a loss.
They sold me the car with missing front bumper covers! Eventually I find out they have painted the bumper hence missing stuff and wrong fog light.
They sold me the car with hidden transmission problems, which became obvious in a couple of weeks of driving. They refuse to fix it citing "Cannot reproduce the issue"!
And who sold me the car? One of BMWs "Center of Excellence"!!
$4-5K over non-CPO car for additional 2 years coverage which does not cover such highly expensive item like shocks? What a "deal"!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Contributors

The problem is why didn't I get that "Official CPO Inspection Checklist"? And where it is on bmwusa.com? It's not there right?
The list you attached is internal stealer checklist a customer will never see. I guess they use that to protect their asses when somebody goes to court fed up with "luxury" German car experience.
My rear pads worn out in 2 months after I purchased the car, regular suburban driving, mostly highways. Good luck asking your stealer fix that under CPO warranty.
I still have wrong fog light in my car which they refuse to replace for free.
I still have malfunctioning gear selector which they refuse to fix.
They sold me the car with a bent rear wheel! I had to sell it to a wheel shop with a loss.
They sold me the car with missing front bumper covers! Eventually I find out they have painted the bumper hence missing stuff and wrong fog light.
$4-5K over market rate for additional 2 years coverage which does not cover such highly expensive item like shocks? What a "deal"!
My dealer gave me the completed CPO checklist for my car before I even picked it up, several others on the boards have mentioned getting it as well. You have to ask for it, every CPO car should have one. Not sure why it not being online matters, it's filled out by the techs. You don't see the SIB's on bmw-usa either do you?

Why did you even drive off the lot with all those problems. You didn't notice the missing bumper covers when you looked at it, or the bent wheel and malfunctioning gear selector when you test drove it?

If you paid $4k-$5k more for a car simply because it was a CPO you were ripped off. Their asking prices may be that much higher, but only a sucker pays anywhere close to sticker on a used car at a dealership.

imo of course.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ProMed
My dealer gave me the completed CPO checklist for my car before I even picked it up, several others on the boards have mentioned getting it as well. You have to ask for it, every CPO car should have one. Not sure why it not being online matters, it's filled out by the techs. You don't see the SIB's on bmw-usa either do you?

Why did you even drive off the lot with all those problems. You didn't notice the missing bumper covers when you looked at it, or the bent wheel and malfunctioning gear selector when you test drove it?

If you paid $4k-$5k more for a car simply because it was a CPO you were ripped off. Their asking prices may be that much higher, but only a sucker pays anywhere close to sticker on a used car at a dealership.

imo of course.
What would that checklist give me if I had it? They can always say brakes has worn due to my driving habits. The point is when you deal with scam promoted by a big company - it's very difficult to win.

No I did not notice those covers, since the car sits very low. And I doubt anyone can say a wheel is bent just by looking at it. It was discovered 3 days after the purchase when I did tire balance. The "center of excellence" blamed it on me.
Same goes for trans and selector, the issues were not apparent during the test drive. But that's not my point - the point is good luck fixing all that under CPO, you have to invest lot of your patience and nerves in to fight with f..ng crooks called BMW dealers.
As to what I paid - $4-5K is normal margin for CPO cars, sometimes it's less, sometimes it's more - look at edmunds.com for example. And obviously I did not pay its list price, it's not my first car, I know how to deal with crooks when negotiating price.
What I wasn't prepared for is how little BMW cares about people buying their cars - once you are parted with your money you are pretty much on your own, no CPO will help you.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Contributors

What would that checklist give me if I had it? They can always say brakes has worn due to my driving habits. The point is when you deal with scam promoted by a big company - it's very difficult to win.

No I did not notice those covers, since the car sits very low. And I doubt anyone can say a wheel is bent just by looking at it. It was discovered 3 days after the purchase when I did tire balance. The "center of excellence" blamed it on me.
Same goes for trans and selector, the issues were not apparent during the test drive. But that's not my point - the point is good luck fixing all that under CPO, you have to invest lot of your patience and nerves in to fight with f..ng crooks called BMW dealers.
As to what I paid - $4-5K is normal margin for CPO cars, sometimes it's less, sometimes it's more - look at edmunds.com for example. And obviously I did not pay its list price, it's not my first car, I know how to deal with crooks when negotiating price.
What I wasn't prepared for is how little BMW cares about people buying their cars - once you are parted with your money you are pretty much on your own, no CPO will help you.
Was your car still not under the manufacturers original warranty when you bought it? If you didn't have the trans a selector issues when you bought it, why would a tech have noticed it during the CPO inspection? As far as the bent wheel, how do you know you didn't do it? These forums are filled with people who have cracked and dented the oem wheels. What kin of bumper covers were you missing? The shipping hook covers on the front bumper of these cars are huge, you can't miss them.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Contributors

What would that checklist give me if I had it?
I was just correcting you. You are the one who said:

If you read marketing CPO BS from BMW you will not notice any technical terms there, like brakes must be worn no more than bla-bla.
Obviously the checklist I posted shows this to be false.

Quick Reply: CPO inspection process?