E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding Noise on Startup! Starter Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:52 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i w/ n62 engine & AFE Dry Cold Air Intake
Question Grinding Noise on Startup! Starter Issue?

Hey guys,

First post here, I'm having an issue with my 2004 545i SMG, upon startup I get a screaming loud grinding noise from the rear of the engine down low (listening from behind front tire). Just started last night and was hoping it was one time thing, but it's every time I start. Im thinking it's the starter grinding the clutch plate?

See VIDEO of the sound:

Please help, it's my daily and gotta get any issue fixed before any damage occurs. This car has a brand new clutch and flywheel installed still under warranty.

Can the warranty on the clutch inspect the clutch after fixing the starter if this ends up being the issue, you think? I don't want a grind from a new clutch go unchecked.

Please throw your suggestions my way, post away!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

How long ago did you have the flywheel and clutch replaced. I would take it back immediately. Did they know what they were doing. Was the clutch put it backwards or not correctly? It is not the starter because it is starting.

If you have a starter issue you would have a loud noise sketching when the starter engages the flywheel without start or you would get nothing. Once the car has started you should be looking at the clutch. Something was not done right when they installed it and now it has come to light. Hopefully when you take it back and they drop it there is no damage so you can use the same parts if not you will have to buy new parts. Did they slide the clutch in. If they did it half a** then you should get your money back and take it to some one that knows what they are doing. You should not take short cuts changing the flywheel and clutch on a SMG because it will bite in your rear later.

Also you might have to get another starter if you are hearing a loud sketch at startup. but first address the flywheel and clutch then do a visual check on the starter. It started fine to me so I would not worry about it.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 09-27-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:06 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i w/ n62 engine & AFE Dry Cold Air Intake

Clutch and Flywheel were replaced about 8 months ago by a big chain indy shop. I started it up today to put it up on ramps and it didn't make the grinding noise, I got under the tranny and saw the teeth on the flywheel, they looked new still. I'm gonna throw a new starter in it this week and see if it changes anything. It sounds like the starter is getting stuck on the flywheel after initially starting, then quickly retracts to disengage the starter gear.

Does this sound plausible? As i'm not throwing any codes.