E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clutch Hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pa550' post='518325' date='Jan 15 2008, 03:27 PM
You make an interesting observation. I'm not an engineer, but it seems to me that the stresses the horizontal pin places on the nylon liner are going to be very similar irrespective of whether the horizontal pin is being stressed (turned) on one side or both sides. For example, when the selector is being turned clockwise, the stress would presumably be on the top left and lower right portions of the liner (when visulalizing it from the back of the car), right? I think your point is that there may be a disproportionate amount of stress on the top left with the Rogue and more even with the UUC, right?
The DSSR design is such that the horizontal pins are supported on both sides of the vertical "shafts". This effectively balances the load and makes it linear through all of the components in the attached pieces, thereby "sharing" the forces over all of the pieces and diminishing the load on the bushing. The side or offset loads on the OEM shifter loads up the bushing(s) at the point of contact and without a balanced support makes the horizontal pin act like a movable link. All mechanical things have clearances (tolerance) so that they will fit together yet still move, so this pin will now act like a pivot and begin to oval out the bushing inside diameter as it is operated. Changing the bushing material to a impregnated bronze or even steel will minimize the ovaling effect and extend the life of the bushing, but inevitably it will get "wallered" out and get sloppy. It is a fundamental law of engineering that is if you give something room to move, it will. And if it moves it will wear. So, it is important to balance the loads throughout the movement to minimize the wear without compromising function. I'll get off my pulpit now! LOL
Old 01-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

Originally Posted by gretamay' post='518343' date='Jan 15 2008, 03:07 PM
The DSSR design is such that the horizontal pins are supported on both sides of the vertical "shafts". This effectively balances the load and makes it linear through all of the components in the attached pieces, thereby "sharing" the forces over all of the pieces and diminishing the load on the bushing. The side or offset loads on the OEM shifter loads up the bushing(s) at the point of contact and without a balanced support makes the horizontal pin act like a movable link. All mechanical things have clearances (tolerance) so that they will fit together yet still move, so this pin will now act like a pivot and begin to oval out the bushing inside diameter as it is operated. Changing the bushing material to a impregnated bronze or even steel will minimize the ovaling effect and extend the life of the bushing, but inevitably it will get "wallered" out and get sloppy. It is a fundamental law of engineering that is if you give something room to move, it will. And if it moves it will wear. So, it is important to balance the loads throughout the movement to minimize the wear without compromising function. I'll get off my pulpit now! LOL
Proper engineering and good materials will render the single side vs. both side support argument moot. Witness BMW motorcycles with single trailing arms, Cannondale "Lefty" suspension forks, etc.

The proof is in the pudding though. I had a Rogue SSK/WSR in my e39 540i that I removed @ 40k miles prior to lease turn in and sold to a buddy. Bushings were as tight then (and non-ovalized) as at initial installation. Have not heard anything but praise from my buddy on the Rogue and he has added another 30k miles to its history. My e60 550i now has 17k miles and the shifter is as tight as when it was installed.

BTW, on the stock shifter, you don't have to worry about slop from worn plastic bearings. The stock stamped steel shift rod introduces more slop and loss of feel into the shifting experience (from day 1) than worn plastic bearings ever would.

Obviously, I am a fan of the Rogue units.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Biff Trout' post='518492' date='Jan 15 2008, 09:01 PM
Proper engineering and good materials will render the single side vs. both side support argument moot. Witness BMW motorcycles with single trailing arms, Cannondale "Lefty" suspension forks, etc.

The proof is in the pudding though. I had a Rogue SSK/WSR in my e39 540i that I removed @ 40k miles prior to lease turn in and sold to a buddy. Bushings were as tight then (and non-ovalized) as at initial installation. Have not heard anything but praise from my buddy on the Rogue and he has added another 30k miles to its history. My e60 550i now has 17k miles and the shifter is as tight as when it was installed.

BTW, on the stock shifter, you don't have to worry about slop from worn plastic bearings. The stock stamped steel shift rod introduces more slop and loss of feel into the shifting experience (from day 1) than worn plastic bearings ever would.

Obviously, I am a fan of the Rogue units.
You can make just about anything work if it is designed with enough mass. I just prefer to design for function first and not add mass to correct a less than perfect design. But, to each his own.