E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clutch Hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlB' post='514325' date='Jan 6 2008, 10:46 AM
I did the Dave Z CDV replacement due to the notchiness of 1st to 2nd shifts. As mentioned previously, I still need to be mindful of clutch engagement during normal driving conditions to get a smooth shift. Under hard acceleration, I do not seem to notice any notchiness.

I would suggest that you think about cahnging out your shifter if you decide to do the CDV replacement. It improves shifting from factory shifter plus a lot of the labor is duplicated on both processes. I have a Rouge SSK and am very happy with it. UUC also makes one.

good luck

al
Rouge SSK or UUC, I'm not familiar with either. Have you a contact for them?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='513993' date='Jan 5 2008, 01:23 PM
+1 - Dave is great to deal with and if you have any questions he will take the time to walk you through it! I'm going to do the same with my '08 535 soon.
+2 Dave is awesome, been buying brakes from him for years.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:47 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gretamay' post='514520' date='Jan 6 2008, 07:25 PM
Rouge SSK or UUC, I'm not familiar with either. Have you a contact for them?

Rogue has shifter with WSR
UUC has shifter with DSSR

here are the links

http://www.rogueengineering.com/

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/
Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by AlB' post='514526' date='Jan 6 2008, 08:47 PM
Rogue has shifter with WSR
UUC has shifter with DSSR

here are the links

http://www.rogueengineering.com/

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/
Rogue apparently also sells Famous Amos Cookies

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=ACCES
Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='514537' date='Jan 6 2008, 08:43 PM
Rogue apparently also sells Famous Amos Cookies

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=ACCES
Thanks everyone for the info. Although I've had a number of manual shift BMWs, I just came out of a long relationship with some E23 745i Euro turbo cars and they are all automatics. So, I'm getting back up to speed, so to speak. I've got the Zeckhausen CDV enroute and I've ordered a short shift kit from UUC. Hope its got some directions for installation!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

Originally Posted by gretamay' post='515309' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. Although I've had a number of manual shift BMWs, I just came out of a long relationship with some E23 745i Euro turbo cars and they are all automatics. So, I'm getting back up to speed, so to speak. I've got the Zeckhausen CDV enroute and I've ordered a short shift kit from UUC. Hope its got some directions for installation!
I have installed the Zeckhausen "modified" CDV and Rogue SSKw/WSR in both my prior e39 540i and my current e60 550i. Cannot say enough about both items. The "modified" CDV allows you to modulate clutch based on your years of experience. The Rogue SSK allows very crisp and no nonsense shifts. On my e60, I stopped at a friends shop, threw the car on his lift and installed both items on the way home from the dealer at 3 miles on the odo.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gretamay' post='515309' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:50 PM
Is the CDV replacement and the short shifter something that a midlevel wrencher can do? Any comments?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Biff Trout' post='517087' date='Jan 12 2008, 11:23 PM
I have installed the Zeckhausen "modified" CDV and Rogue SSKw/WSR in both my prior e39 540i and my current e60 550i. Cannot say enough about both items. The "modified" CDV allows you to modulate clutch based on your years of experience. The Rogue SSK allows very crisp and no nonsense shifts. On my e60, I stopped at a friends shop, threw the car on his lift and installed both items on the way home from the dealer at 3 miles on the odo.
I don't have access to a lift, but I've got good ramps. Will ramps work?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:41 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gretamay' post='517416' date='Jan 13 2008, 04:45 PM
I don't have access to a lift, but I've got good ramps. Will ramps work?
I would recommend a lift.
You have to drop most of the underbody pans and the exhaust to get to the shifter linkage. Even at that, it is a grope/feel type of install. The CDV is easier to get to, but the bleeding operation can be tedious. It took me and my indy about 2-2.5 hours to do both on a lift.

keep track of the screws that you remove from the underbody panels. There are different sizes and the need to back in the same hole.

good luck
al
Old 01-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

Originally Posted by AlB' post='517499' date='Jan 13 2008, 07:41 PM
I would recommend a lift.
You have to drop most of the underbody pans and the exhaust to get to the shifter linkage. Even at that, it is a grope/feel type of install. The CDV is easier to get to, but the bleeding operation can be tedious. It took me and my indy about 2-2.5 hours to do both on a lift.

keep track of the screws that you remove from the underbody panels. There are different sizes and the need to back in the same hole.

good luck
al
Ramps won't work in my opinion due to the groping necessary to install the WSR clips. I would agree with AlB on time.

On skill level, I would think that mid-level would be the minimum. You need to be confident of your skills because if you uninstall the stock shifter and don't complete the Rogue shifter install, your car goes on a flatbed to the dealer which would be quite embarrasing. Also, you absolutely have to have two people for the exhaust system removal and reinstallation. AND, it is best to have a two post lift for exhaust system removal although I performed the job on a single post lift after putting spacer blocks between the lift pads and the car's lift points to give the clearance necessary to thread the exhaust system out.

For the CDV install, you need a brake bleed bottle. I bought a Motive Products bleeder bottle which works perfectly. And finally from personal experience, when you install the CDV, make sure that you tie your clutch pedal to the steering wheel. If not, the pedal wil drop and push brake fluid down your arm and all over the place, a royal PITA.

Quick Reply: Clutch Hydraulics