E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clutch Hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

For those considering a short shifter, one cheap option is to replace you shift knob with the shorter knob found on the '08 550 sport. (The underlying shifter hardware is the same. BMW shorten the shifter with a shorter knob.)

The advantages are that it costs about $70, and can be installed in under a minute.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='517529' date='Jan 13 2008, 09:06 PM
For those considering a short shifter, one cheap option is to replace you shift knob with the shorter knob found on the '08 550 sport. (The underlying shifter hardware is the same. BMW shorten the shifter with a shorter knob.)

The advantages are that it costs about $70, and can be installed in under a minute.
That will not make a difference. The shift rod extends into my shift knob nearly to the top. Further, it is a change to the shift rod geometry below the shifter pivot that actually reduces the throws.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='513833' date='Jan 4 2008, 09:10 PM
Someone (think it may have been PA550) had problems with the universal valve from Bav Auto (too restrictive if I remember right) and ended up having to do it again with one from Zackhausen, so you might want to search for that also.

Yup, I tried the BavAuto version. First, it's exterior did not look identical to the factory version but since I had it in hand and had the car up on a lift and apart (I was installing the Rogue shifter as well) , I decided to install it anyway. I didn't notice much difference with it vs. the stock valve. I then bought the Zechausen version (which is an original factory CDV stripped of its inards). I installed it (using ramps - very difficult but doable) and in my opinion the performance was night and day to the BavAuto version. I did visually compare the BavAuto to the Zechausen version and the Zechausen appeared to have a larger internal opening, which of course would allow the brake fluid to flow unrestricted. I tossed the BavAuto one and went on my merry way.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pa550' post='517728' date='Jan 14 2008, 11:00 AM
Yup, I tried the BavAuto version. First, it's exterior did not look identical to the factory version but since I had it in hand and had the car up on a lift and apart (I was installing the Rogue shifter as well) , I decided to install it anyway. I didn't notice much difference with it vs. the stock valve. I then bought the Zechausen version (which is an original factory CDV stripped of its inards). I installed it (using ramps - very difficult but doable) and in my opinion the performance was night and day to the BavAuto version. I did visually compare the BavAuto to the Zechausen version and the Zechausen appeared to have a larger internal opening, which of course would allow the brake fluid to flow unrestricted. I tossed the BavAuto one and went on my merry way.
I'm onboard with the Zeckhausen modified CDV; its a logical progression of thought, and it makes sense. I'm less comfortable with the Rogue WSR. As a ME, I think that the original BMW off-center linkage puts a side load/off center load to the bearing surfaces resulting is a wear condition regardless of the material of those bearings. Adding weight to the shift linkage will only exacerbate the problem, increasing the probability of premature bearing wear and sloppy shifting. The UUC SDDC on the other hand balances the load of the linkage by supporting the shift pins on BOTH sides and eliminating the off-center condition by putting the linkage on the center line of the shift operation. Linear loads are usually well balanced and have a very long life cycle. My choice is the UUC Short Shifter with the SDDC. At least this will give us all something to compare and jaw about. My thanks again to everyone for their input.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Biff Trout' post='517682' date='Jan 14 2008, 09:23 AM
That will not make a difference. The shift rod extends into my shift knob nearly to the top. Further, it is a change to the shift rod geometry below the shifter pivot that actually reduces the throws.
Since it is a lever, extending below or shortening above will shorten the shift length. I did verify that the metal part of the shifter is the same between the sport and non-sport shifters on realoem.com. (p/n 25117546373) The knobs differ, as shown below.

I'm sure the true short shifter will be better, but you can't argue with ease of installation for the M-Sport knob.
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Hydraulics-213_1.png  
Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='517952' date='Jan 14 2008, 05:31 PM
Since it is a lever, extending below or shortening above will shorten the shift length. I did verify that the metal part of the shifter is the same between the sport and non-sport shifters on realoem.com. (p/n 25117546373) The knobs differ, as shown below.

I'm sure the true short shifter will be better, but you can't argue with ease of installation for the M-Sport knob.

iversonm...how far up into the knob does the shift lever screw in? If it goes most of the way to the top - seem syou'd only be shortening the throw by a small amount? However, if it only screws in say half way I can see that the msport knob would make a diff...
Old 01-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Anybody know if a BMW dealer would install the Zach CDV and/or the short-shift linkage? I don't have access to a lift and don't want to attempt this install laying on my back under the car on jack stands.....
Old 01-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='518131' date='Jan 15 2008, 08:26 AM
Anybody know if a BMW dealer would install the Zach CDV and/or the short-shift linkage? I don't have access to a lift and don't want to attempt this install laying on my back under the car on jack stands.....
I did it with a dealer mechanic on a Sunday at the dealer. On Saturdays/Sundays the mechanics bring their cars in and work on them. Most dealerships seem to give them the leeway to use the facilities.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gretamay' post='517941' date='Jan 14 2008, 07:46 PM
I'm onboard with the Zeckhausen modified CDV; its a logical progression of thought, and it makes sense. I'm less comfortable with the Rogue WSR. As a ME, I think that the original BMW off-center linkage puts a side load/off center load to the bearing surfaces resulting is a wear condition regardless of the material of those bearings. Adding weight to the shift linkage will only exacerbate the problem, increasing the probability of premature bearing wear and sloppy shifting. The UUC SDDC on the other hand balances the load of the linkage by supporting the shift pins on BOTH sides and eliminating the off-center condition by putting the linkage on the center line of the shift operation. Linear loads are usually well balanced and have a very long life cycle. My choice is the UUC Short Shifter with the SDDC. At least this will give us all something to compare and jaw about. My thanks again to everyone for their input.
I really balled up my abbreviations, it should have been the UUC DSSR not the SDDC. I haven't got aclue where the SDDC thing came from. Ooops!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gretamay' post='518153' date='Jan 15 2008, 09:39 AM
I really balled up my abbreviations, it should have been the UUC DSSR not the SDDC. I haven't got aclue where the SDDC thing came from. Ooops!
You make an interesting observation. I'm not an engineer, but it seems to me that the stresses the horizontal pin places on the nylon liner are going to be very similar irrespective of whether the horizontal pin is being stressed (turned) on one side or both sides. For example, when the selector is being turned clockwise, the stress would presumably be on the top left and lower right portions of the liner (when visulalizing it from the back of the car), right? I think your point is that there may be a disproportionate amount of stress on the top left with the Rogue and more even with the UUC, right?

Quick Reply: Clutch Hydraulics