E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lpvaldez
I just got my letter i have not had any problems with my brakes do you guys think i should take it either way or should i just wait until i get any problems?

thanks
Get it done. By the time you have problems it might be more difficult to get them to do the work, plus it's a safety issue - there might be leakage that doesn't yet present as a braking problem.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Moopai. its great to hear positive comments like that about a dealer near me (they are not out of my way at all). I would of course never assume all dealers to be the same. Will look forward to hearing your report and I will probably book in within a couple of weeks and check them out.
Very nice looking sled you have there. Mine is a stock 545i sport package with the 124 wheels, dark blue with light tan interior. I havent decided about doing any mods. Its a daily driver wih 167,000 kms on it, but on the other hand its still looks, feels very much like a new car aside from the inevitable door dings, so I may do a few things, I'll likely drive it for a few more years.

Originally Posted by Moopai
I service my car at BMW Mississauga, great people and honest unlike er which i'm technically 5 minutes away from them. I will post my results once I visit the dealer.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 2001 325i

Originally Posted by jm545i
Get it done. By the time you have problems it might be more difficult to get them to do the work, plus it's a safety issue - there might be leakage that doesn't yet present as a braking problem.

Thanks i will get it done hopefully my pump is not bad, i did my appointment they cant see my car until the 20th lol they are booked for the recall.

Thanks again for the advice
Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

Anyone else have to get their vacuum pump replaced? If so, how much did dealership charge?
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by Krav E60
Anyone else have to get their vacuum pump replaced? If so, how much did dealership charge?
I have a quote from an indy shop for the pump replacement for about $950. Ain't no way, ain't no how! I'm going to replace or reseat the seals by following the excellent DIY posted on this forum.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Just adding myself to this thread.

I had my brakes almost fail on me while driving to work one morning back in November. My car did not stop as quickly as normal, and I almost ran through a red light. I called BMW immediately and took my car in for service.

The dealer told me there was a recall. I did not have my letter yet.
I told them to proceed with fixing.

Dealer calls me to say vacuum pump must be replaced, and not part of the recall. Cost $950+

I paid the money because I need my brakes to work, but I am very annoyed with BMWNA about this. The failure of the vacuum pump is related to this recall whether they like it or not, and my car might have injured me or others on the road.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Contributors

When getting into the car in the mornings, I've had the stiff brake pedal at start-up.
I complained 1 year ago to the dealer about it, and they found nothing wrong.
I now have an appointment this Fr. to get it fixed, based on the recall.
I am curious whether I will get the call to have the vacuum pump replaced as well. We will see.
Seems like a convenient excuse to make some additional $$$.

Not sure why BMW excludes the vacuum pump from the recall. The letter states "Recall Campaign No. 10V-446: Brake Vacuum Pump".
Further down it states that "A small amount of oil could leak from the brake vacuum pump into the brake vacuum hose...."
"This could affect the power assist braking function".

Sounds like the vacuum pump is the root cause of this defect. Why wouldn't it be part of the replacement?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Members

It really sounds like curing the symptoms not the cause. I would suggest anybody who gets taken on the pump should write a complaint letter to BMWNA or BMWCanada, and point out that it will be discussed in this forum and undoubtedly others. Since in Canada they quote the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act, I would be copying the complaint to Transport Canada or whoever polices that act ad any related consumer protection agency if in the US. I would also suggest discussing the possibility of writing to car publications. I'll bet abything it would be covered by BMW if pushed hard enough. 2 cents please. When they title the recall campaign = No. 2010-328: Brake Vacuum Pump, they are kinda making themselves look bad by charging.....
Old 12-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by uwsc11
Sounds like the vacuum pump is the root cause of this defect. Why wouldn't it be part of the replacement?
There is a check valve, it is suppose to allow the vacuum to be stored in the booster when there is no vacuum, ie when the car is not running. It allows you one to two stops if the motor quits running. When the check valve does not work the vacuum does not stay in the booster when the car is off. That's why there is a hard pedal.

The Vacuum pump naturally has some oil (engine) in it. If the check valve is bad, some of this oil can get into the booster.

From what I understand some of the check valves do not work well with the oil and because of that it may not be working like a it should anymore.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Members

Here they go again.

Dont they(BMW) know that BMW owners are not poor and if they charged a small amount for these issues everyone would be happy. BUT they insist on hosing you until the very end.
Even a billionaire hates getting hosed.

If they would have said that the cost would be ~$200?? no one would complain, but they are so used to the $1000 thing that is natural.
I think that $1000 is printed on every bill as a starter before you come in.

Quick Reply: BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall