E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

I would not be surprised if someone who knows a lawyer would start a class action law suit against BMW to repay all of those who had to pay for the vacuum pump replacement. Anyone know or is a lawyer who can give advice on this matter?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

I could use that $1000 on the vacuum pump replacement on a good mod.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
There is a check valve, it is suppose to allow the vacuum to be stored in the booster when there is no vacuum, ie when the car is not running. It allows you one to two stops if the motor quits running. When the check valve does not work the vacuum does not stay in the booster when the car is off. That's why there is a hard pedal.

The Vacuum pump naturally has some oil (engine) in it. If the check valve is bad, some of this oil can get into the booster.

From what I understand some of the check valves do not work well with the oil and because of that it may not be working like a it should anymore.
I sorta understand your point Allen, but if they have to replace the vacuum pump because its defective and the vacuum pump is leaking oil into the hose then the vaccum pump is the problem. Period.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Members

I am not involved in this problem, and I understand your frustration.
If you had the recall done and the vac pump is not changed who would be responsible for future brake failure or other liability? And would they fix the recalled item again??
It would be like if the ABS system failed and they called back cars for fluid changes, and BTW your ABS is broken.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by stoic1
I have a quote from an indy shop for the pump replacement for about $950. Ain't no way, ain't no how! I'm going to replace or reseat the seals by following the excellent DIY posted on this forum.
My car goes in for the recall in 2 weeks and my vaccuum pump is definitely leaking out of the front of it. Do you have a link to this DIY? I tried searching, but couldnt find anything besides what was stated earlier in this thread (remove cover and RTV).

Has anyone had the pump replaced under the recall?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
There is a check valve, it is suppose to allow the vacuum to be stored in the booster when there is no vacuum, ie when the car is not running. It allows you one to two stops if the motor quits running. When the check valve does not work the vacuum does not stay in the booster when the car is off. That's why there is a hard pedal.

The Vacuum pump naturally has some oil (engine) in it. If the check valve is bad, some of this oil can get into the booster.

From what I understand some of the check valves do not work well with the oil and because of that it may not be working like a it should anymore.
Hey, sorry to be kinda snarly Allen, more properly my reply should have been a question - ie is the check valve part of the vaccum pump or associated with another part? My bad...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i

Mine goes in Tuesday. I hope I am not one of the $1000 dollar owners. Updates to come after my visit. Keeping my fingers crossed.

DaveR
Old 12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

I dropped mine off this morning before reading this thread. Now I'm dreading the call from my SA.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by finski
Hey, sorry to be kinda snarly Allen, more properly my reply should have been a question - ie is the check valve part of the vaccum pump or associated with another part? My bad...
No biggie, I think think when they say the vacuum pump is leaking oil, it is the customer is one who is inferring that it is leaking into the brake system. It is not leaking into the brake booster. It is leaking externally down the side of the motor due to a bad o-ring. The recall is addressing oil that is getting into the check vlve and into the vacuum booster.

If indeed they are saying the oil is going into the booster because of the vacuum pump and new check valve will not cure this issue then yes the recall should be including the pump, but replacing the pump will do no good as the pump uses oil to help it seal and replacing it with one of the same design will not change things.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Members

Thanks Allen. I'm gonna come off like a terrible fence-sitter here, but I kinda hope to hear a few guys fought and won a no-charge vac pump to set a precedent. That said, I need to get an alignment also in the next week and it will probably come first so my car will probably not go in for the recall til the week of the 22nd.

Quick Reply: BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall