E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys im about to buy a 06 m5. How would I know if the car needs this fix?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by lopealle
Hey guys im about to buy a 06 m5. How would I know if the car needs this fix?

it doesn't. V10 engines are NOT affected by this recall. Only the N62 & N62N engines i.e. 4.4L & 4.8L V8s.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I'm got my letter in the mail yesterday. How did your service go yesterday? Did you have to change the Vacuum Pump? I have no issues with my brakes accept once in a while they squeak a bit when I turn my wheel to the right in a parking lot and my foot is on the brake pedal. No leaks either, my car floor is clean. I will report next week what happens with my service.

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yup, got mine last week. Am getting it done this coming Friday.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai
I'm got my letter in the mail yesterday. How did your service go yesterday? Did you have to change the Vacuum Pump? I have no issues with my brakes accept once in a while they squeak a bit when I turn my wheel to the right in a parking lot and my foot is on the brake pedal. No leaks either, my car floor is clean. I will report next week what happens with my service.

New to this forum and will be watching this one closely after I stumbled on it today. I will be particularly (as a fellow Can-eh-jun)interested in your experience. My dealer experience has not been good. I bought my 04 545isport as a certified series with 91 k km on the clock. they completely blew the inspection. They had to replace the steering rack, both headlight sets and the tranny (all leaking and malfunctioning from day one) all under warranty but not without some indelicate persuasion. It was reading emmissions warning from about a month after I picked it up and they stuck me with that one (new thermostat at $393 for the part). They also tried to stick me for $180 for a cupholder they didnt actually replace or fix. I have none of the symptoms of the brake problem so will get it looked at independantly. Score F to the dealer.

Now ask me do I like the car? Booooyaaaaaaahhhhhh! They seez me rollin', they hatin'!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

I talked to my SA yesterday and he said here in Nashville they have not replaced any Vacuum pumps. I am going in on Thursday so we will see how it goes.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Let me take a wild guess, is your dealer Budd's by any chance?

Originally Posted by finski
New to this forum and will be watching this one closely after I stumbled on it today. I will be particularly (as a fellow Can-eh-jun)interested in your experience. My dealer experience has not been good. I bought my 04 545isport as a certified series with 91 k km on the clock. they completely blew the inspection. They had to replace the steering rack, both headlight sets and the tranny (all leaking and malfunctioning from day one) all under warranty but not without some indelicate persuasion. It was reading emmissions warning from about a month after I picked it up and they stuck me with that one (new thermostat at $393 for the part). They also tried to stick me for $180 for a cupholder they didnt actually replace or fix. I have none of the symptoms of the brake problem so will get it looked at independantly. Score F to the dealer.

Now ask me do I like the car? Booooyaaaaaaahhhhhh! They seez me rollin', they hatin'!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai
Let me take a wild guess, is your dealer Budd's by any chance?
Nah, I dont wanna say it out loud. LOL. I was reading earlier in this thread that an owner was advised not to bring the car in til the letter was received. When I read that the little hairs went up on the back of my neck because, funny thing is, this dealer called me about a week and a half before the letter came out, all hot for me to get the car in there right away for this fix. Although he said oil was leaking on to the pipe, not into it....I'm not experiencing any problems with the brakes and when my 'other mechanic' installed my snows last week (also noting I have a minor alignment issue), he said the brakes are still at around 30-40% (which I consider real good because I have put on 75kkm since it was 'fully reconditioned'). When I take it back in for an alignment this week I'm going to have them take a look-see at the vac hose, pump, etc. If it looks like there's a problem, I will maybe order up the vac pump from the US. Then, I'll go get, er, the dealer to do the warranty part. You gotta guess if that fix is $1k in the US it's going to be $1500-2000 here (or at least over this way).
Yo Moopai, I'd like to hear how things go with your dealer assuming they are not, er, um, the same one I have. I'm pretty flexible to go anywhere in the GTA. I hear the private shop in Etobicoke is good too, but of course they dont do warranty work.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

I service my car at BMW Mississauga, great people and honest unlike er which i'm technically 5 minutes away from them. I will post my results once I visit the dealer.

quote name='finski' timestamp='1291567826' post='1278539']
Nah, I dont wanna say it out loud. LOL. I was reading earlier in this thread that an owner was advised not to bring the car in til the letter was received. When I read that the little hairs went up on the back of my neck because, funny thing is, this dealer called me about a week and a half before the letter came out, all hot for me to get the car in there right away for this fix. Although he said oil was leaking on to the pipe, not into it....I'm not experiencing any problems with the brakes and when my 'other mechanic' installed my snows last week (also noting I have a minor alignment issue), he said the brakes are still at around 30-40% (which I consider real good because I have put on 75kkm since it was 'fully reconditioned'). When I take it back in for an alignment this week I'm going to have them take a look-see at the vac hose, pump, etc. If it looks like there's a problem, I will maybe order up the vac pump from the US. Then, I'll go get, er, the dealer to do the warranty part. You gotta guess if that fix is $1k in the US it's going to be $1500-2000 here (or at least over this way).
Yo Moopai, I'd like to hear how things go with your dealer assuming they are not, er, um, the same one I have. I'm pretty flexible to go anywhere in the GTA. I hear the private shop in Etobicoke is good too, but of course they dont do warranty work.
[/quote]
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Don't replace your vacuum pump! The oil leak is due to an O-Ring that shrinks a bit. You can either find a generic (not avail. from BMW) replacement O-Ring or clean up the old one and beef it up with silicon gasket seal. Search the site for details. I have not had to do this, but another member has done it successfully and saved a lot of $'s.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 2001 325i

I just got my letter i have not had any problems with my brakes do you guys think i should take it either way or should i just wait until i get any problems?

thanks

Quick Reply: BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall