E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

Hey guys.

No, brake fluid flush is not included.

To help those who are going to bring their car in for the recall, this is how everything happened.

Notices on forums and the internet were released about the E60 brake recall. I called BMWNA to find out if my car was included and it was. They also stated at that time (October 2010) that I would have to wait for the letter. So I waited patiently for that letter. Noticed that the UK and other parts of the USA were receiving their letters. There have been some in this forum who have been seen at their dealership and approved for the fix without a letter. So I figured I could do the same. Called the dealership (not going to mention because it is not really their fault) and they said my car was listed in the recall so I brought my car in last Tuesday.

Initially, it was only going to be the brake recall. My brakes had the "had to step on like a brick" feeling so it definitely needed the fix. My SA also recommended the brake flush since it involved the brakes, I told my SA to go ahead with it. Cost for flush would be $189.00. That's what I thought my total cost would be. I also received a rental that would be paid for by BMW for my problems. So no problem right?

A few hours later, my SA called and left a message. You know that message? The one where you can hear it their voice that there was something else wrong and it was going to cost you more money. SO I called back and sure enough, that's what the call was about. Needed to replace the Vacuum pump which is not covered under this recall. I even confirmed with BMWNA that it was not covered.

My brakes were eventually fixed. Just after I surrendered $1000 to the stealership that was supposed to be a free fix under recall or even a $189 fix with brake flush.

BMWNA should look more into this to see if the vacuum pump needs to be replaced in the majority of these recalls. If you don't have any problems with your brakes then you would only need the recalled replacements and it would be free. But if you have brake problems like I did, just be aware that you might be spending a lot of money to get this fixed.

Thanks guys. Hope this helps

KRAV
Old 12-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

But why did the vacuum pump need to be replaced???? Was that specified, also how could you NOT flush the brakes after changing any kind of hoses? makes no sense. I have no symptoms but did receive the letter
Old 12-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Members

This was on the invoice, "vacuum pump leaking. Removed and relplaced vacuum pump." SA told me needed to be fixed because it was a brake issue. Again, I asked her, "Why is the vacuum pump NOT included in the recall?" They were only doing what BMWNA suggested.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

I will def ask 1st before surrendering my car to them. But what are the symptoms of a faulty vacuum pump??? I have dont have a stiff pedal nor do I have any probs stopping(knocks on wood)
Old 12-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
I just got my recall letter yesterday.. definitely tuning in to this thread.
Yup, got mine last week. Am getting it done this coming Friday.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Members

Don't know what the symptoms of a vacuum pump leak are except that it includes all that was mentioned above (master cylinder, brake booster, etc). All of these leaking will give you a bad brake. You would feel it at slow speeds like coming to a stop or backing up. You would have to step on the brake pedal like you are stepping on a snake to keep it from getting away or biting you. That's a bad analogy. Sorry.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Krav E60
This was on the invoice, "vacuum pump leaking. Removed and relplaced vacuum pump." SA told me needed to be fixed because it was a brake issue. Again, I asked her, "Why is the vacuum pump NOT included in the recall?" They were only doing what BMWNA suggested.
so the pump was replaced only because it was leaking oil?

did you have a hard pedal with the engine running, or only with the engine off?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Members

only noticed hard pedal when driving
Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Krav E60
only noticed hard pedal when driving
you must have had a major leak in your vacuum line from the pump to the booster.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Members

that's what they said.

Quick Reply: BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall