E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another rough idle 545i Video+ sound bite.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 545i has had some idle issues, but not to the level I saw in your clips. I got a low oil warning about a month ago. Car had an oil change about 5,000 miles earlier so I guess I'm probably going through more oil than I should.

I dropped in a quart of synthetic and the warning light went off immediately. Hasn't been back on since. Guess i should check the oil every once in a while to be sure.

I'm going to print this thread out and hand it to my indy mechanic, also the person I bought the car from. I have an extended warranty through a third party, so hopefully they cover most of the work that'll need to be done, if any.

Now a little worried about things! I do love this car, though. Hope it's nothing major. I'm also have some front suspension noise over speed bumps and a rattling sound on the driver side but I can't figure out what's causing it.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

I had a rough idle problem that got worse after driving about 20 minutes/miles. Ultimately, the engine would die just sitting at a red light in Drive - YIKES! Or it would die/stall when accelerating from a stop. I got it to the deal - they diagnosed the problem as a "lean condition" and ran a million tests until they determined that the PCV diaphram was leaking. They replaced both of them and problem solved!!! Since the car was dying on me, they waived the cost - no charge.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1083945' date='Jan 4 2010, 12:26 PM
... American style of driving is slow with low low RPM's....exactly what these engines WEREN'T made for.
What exactly were these engines made for? You think that just because Germany has an autobahn that everyone drives 250km/h overthere?

To the OP, I see that you are a from Burlington. I service my car at Budd's BMW I find their service and work excellent, maybe they will be able to help you out. Good luck with the fix.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by anand_rahim
Its like watching a scary movie . Similar issue, one time the RPMs actually shot down 300 and jumped to 1100. That hasn't happened again, but it scared the crap out of me. Here are my elementary DIY tips:

1. Clean the MAF (mass airflow sensor) - its part of the intake system
2. A good oil change - mobile or castrol full synthetic
3. Put a can of seafoam in the tank before you fill up one time. Make sure to use premium 93 gas. Let the car warm up for a bit, then drive it hard for a while break up the carbon deposits in the engine.

Graduate or last resort DIYs:
1. Change spark plugs with a high quality plug
2. Change the idle control valve. I read that this valve gets clogged and dirty and it affects idle
3. Take it to an indy mechanic and have them check the valves

Beyond this, wash it up and put a for sale sign on it! JK
Can someone give step by step instructions for cleaning the MAF please, i tried searching but did not find anything useful.

Also for those who put seafoam in the tank, do you put the entire can when you fill up or is ther any ratio to follow ?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by navin
Can someone give step by step instructions for cleaning the MAF please, i tried searching but did not find anything useful.

Also for those who put seafoam in the tank, do you put the entire can when you fill up or is ther any ratio to follow ?
Seafoam, I use the whole can. Here is the DIY on cleaning the MAF:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/686..._1#entry769407
Old 02-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi
The first trouble shoot for me would be to but Chevron Techron into the tank (the same additive that BMW sells, just rebranded), wait for the car to warm up, and run the HELL out of the car.
Do this for 2 tanks and it can help a lot. That's what I did with my 545i and it worked very well. American style of driving is slow with low low RPM's....exactly what these engines WEREN'T made for.

++++++1 this worked out for me.. added a bottle of Techron and it improved the rough idleing
Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6 speed ,101 oem wheels, M tec, aluminum cube, LCI tailights, modified headlights, DINAN software, DINAN muffler, DINAN throttle body, DINAN intake, trunk finisher.

Originally Posted by nick1970
No i don't. how can i retrieve it? the check engine light is gone.
I had an 04 545i auto and had the same problem. It needed valve and lifter work on cylinder two. The car had 43,000 miles at the time. Its a know problem to BMW but customer has to insist there is a problem. Once on their macine, even with no error code, it will show them how each cyliner is firing. REMEMBER you need to insist there is an idle problem, if you are under warranty they will fix for free.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i

Originally Posted by George Tsikis
I had an 04 545i auto and had the same problem. It needed valve and lifter work on cylinder two. The car had 43,000 miles at the time. Its a know problem to BMW but customer has to insist there is a problem. Once on their macine, even with no error code, it will show them how each cyliner is firing. REMEMBER you need to insist there is an idle problem, if you are under warranty they will fix for free.
I did insist but still no results?
The car still does the same thing but less now since the weather is warming-up.
I start thinking if i shouldn't have sticked with audi instead?
I seriously think that the V8 has problems that BMW deliberately ignores.