E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another rough idle 545i Video+ sound bite.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Damn nice that they FINALLY decided to do what they were supposed to do though in the beginning. It took them a week to decide and they then told me to take the car back and come back. They actually weren't going to cover it and wanted me to foot the bill. The only reason why they finally caved was because i called another dealership and that dealership was willing to cover it, and gave me the approval over the phone too!! So I made sure to call again in front of my SA and handed the phone over for them to speak. If not, I doubt I would've gotten to where I am now.

And my SA tells me, since it's the holiday's we'll cover it (for the most part) so you don't have to drive over 100 miles 1 way to go to that other dealership. Wow, so nice of them...
Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi' post='1084869' date='Jan 5 2010, 08:32 PM
And my SA tells me, since it's the holiday's we'll cover it (for the most part) so you don't have to drive over 100 miles 1 way to go to that other dealership. Wow, so nice of them...
Bastards are even pretending to be nice and all
Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i

The dealer called to say that my oil was very low about a 1l and half.
The car was serviced at another BMW dealership, so i called them and they said it's normal for the car to burn that much oil. No big deal and part of my responsibility was to check the oil level every 2 weeks. By the way the i-drive says 130000 kms left until next oil change.
The car is still being checked , if any damage was done as result of the low oil level it will not be covered under warranty. WTF am i supposed to do? Please advise.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by nick1970' post='1086000' date='Jan 7 2010, 02:05 PM
The dealer called to say that my oil was very low about a 1l and half.
The car was serviced at another BMW dealership, so i called them and they said it's normal for the car to burn that much oil. No big deal and part of my responsibility was to check the oil level every 2 weeks. By the way the i-drive says 130000 kms left until next oil change.
The car is still being checked , if any damage was done as result of the low oil level it will not be covered under warranty. WTF am i supposed to do? Please advise.
Wow that's bull... I don't think low oil is that bad for the car until it reaches the point where the iDrive alerts you... And I dint see how it would cause a rough idle...
Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1086014' date='Jan 7 2010, 02:18 PM
Wow that's bull... I don't think low oil is that bad for the car until it reaches the point where the iDrive alerts you... And I dint see how it would cause a rough idle...
The dealer just called me they had to add 3litres of oil. I never had any warnings, they checked for leaks none were found.
The engine noise is gone, they wanna tag the dip stick and see how often i have to add in oil.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Hey Nick, it's been a while since we talked at that BMW meet last year - that cold, cold day!

Hey, I'm having the exact same issues as you - rough idle and squeaking noise during cold start-up. Since my car is also under CPO, BMW did a full diagnostics. For the noise, they changed the idler, the idler pully, then the belt and the noise was still there. Then they changed the alternator and the squeak disappeared. It was the alternator barrings. Then, to my wonderful surprise, the noise returned this winter! Awesome.

I dropped off the car 2 weeks ago but the weather was warmer and when they did a cold start, it didn't make any noise. Crap! But, yesterday, the same noise returned.

With regards to the rough idle, the service tech said it was normal for the 545i to idle like that during a cold start. I was surprised to hear it. They said there was nothing else they could do. So, let me know what you find out.

I've also got a new noise now which I think is related to the active steering. It only happens between 10-35 km's so that is when active steering is functioning I think. There is a very low noise that sounds like an actuator pump whenever I turn the wheel during that speed. Weird. The BMW tech said he would look into any SB's but he has absolutely no idea what that noise is.

We should connect and compare noises! Ha ha!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Silver_545i' post='1086094' date='Jan 7 2010, 04:10 PM
Hey Nick, it's been a while since we talked at that BMW meet last year - that cold, cold day!

Hey, I'm having the exact same issues as you - rough idle and squeaking noise during cold start-up. Since my car is also under CPO, BMW did a full diagnostics. For the noise, they changed the idler, the idler pully, then the belt and the noise was still there. Then they changed the alternator and the squeak disappeared. It was the alternator barrings. Then, to my wonderful surprise, the noise returned this winter! Awesome.

I dropped off the car 2 weeks ago but the weather was warmer and when they did a cold start, it didn't make any noise. Crap! But, yesterday, the same noise returned.

With regards to the rough idle, the service tech said it was normal for the 545i to idle like that during a cold start. I was surprised to hear it. They said there was nothing else they could do. So, let me know what you find out.

I've also got a new noise now which I think is related to the active steering. It only happens between 10-35 km's so that is when active steering is functioning I think. There is a very low noise that sounds like an actuator pump whenever I turn the wheel during that speed. Weird. The BMW tech said he would look into any SB's but he has absolutely no idea what that noise is.

We should connect and compare noises! Ha ha!
Good to hear from you man. Well at least you are getting new parts out of it.
I will try to keep you posted. so far only low oil level. really low about 3 litres low. What drives me nuts is that i never got any warnings about the oil pressure being low.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Its like watching a scary movie . Similar issue, one time the RPMs actually shot down 300 and jumped to 1100. That hasn't happened again, but it scared the crap out of me. Here are my elementary DIY tips:

1. Clean the MAF (mass airflow sensor) - its part of the intake system
2. A good oil change - mobile or castrol full synthetic
3. Put a can of seafoam in the tank before you fill up one time. Make sure to use premium 93 gas. Let the car warm up for a bit, then drive it hard for a while break up the carbon deposits in the engine.

Graduate or last resort DIYs:
1. Change spark plugs with a high quality plug
2. Change the idle control valve. I read that this valve gets clogged and dirty and it affects idle
3. Take it to an indy mechanic and have them check the valves

Beyond this, wash it up and put a for sale sign on it! JK
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Great suggestions Anad

Godd luck Nick, hope you get it resolved.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Fat-fingered ...

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1086147' date='Jan 7 2010, 04:08 PM
Great suggestions Anand

Good luck Nick, hope you get it resolved.

Quick Reply: Another rough idle 545i Video+ sound bite.