E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Air Con Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Saloon - Media Package, Luxury Package, Visibility Package, Tracker - Retrieve, Sun Protection glazing, Heated rear seats, Through-loading system including ski-bag, Steering wheel heating

I have had my 535d for 2000 miles, what a superb car (I changed from a Lexus Rx 300). My air con worked fine (ie set to a desired temperature - then it worked in the background and I wasnt aware of it for most of the time). The windscreen was then hit by a stone and had to be replaced, since then, when the air con is set to auto instead of it working fairly silently, there are sudden prolonged noisey blasts of air - mainly from the windscreen vents - using the i-drive I can see that the windscreen fan is set to maximum during these blasts of air - if I change the setting auto mode is disengaged. Any thoughts ? Is the change of windscreen a coincidence or could some sensors have been damaged.

535d Saloon - Media Package, Luxury Package, Visibility Package, Tracker - Retrieve, Sun Protection glazing, Heated rear seats, Through-loading system including ski-bag, Steering wheel heating
Old 12-02-2005, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

The mist sensor is in the cluster of sensors where the rear view mirror is attached to the windscreen, so there could well be a malfunction there.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Have I missed something here but what mist sensor? I didn't realise there was one. Does it automatically switch to the intense windscreen mode if the screen mists up. If it should then mines not working.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='206010' date='Dec 2 2005, 10:13 AM
Have I missed something here but what mist sensor? I didn't realise there was one. Does it automatically switch to the intense windscreen mode if the screen mists up. If it should then mines not working.

Not that I'm aware of. To be honest the a/c is the only thing that I think could have been done better on the car. I miss the old 'internal temperature' settings in digital so that you can tell when the car is pushing the temperature up or down. In my Porsche if I set the temperature anywhere above 22 degrees it was too hot - in the BMW it has to be set to >26 degrees to feel any real warmth.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Saloon - Media Package, Luxury Package, Visibility Package, Tracker - Retrieve, Sun Protection glazing, Heated rear seats, Through-loading system including ski-bag, Steering wheel heating

Problem solved, there is a mist sensor (also known as a de fogging sensor) in the rear view mirrow cluster . It compares temperature and humidity inside the car to that outside, decides if there is a chance of the front window misting and redirects air accordingly. It is fragile and should be replaced if the windscreen is relaced. If you use Autoglass - ask them to ring their technical division, before replacing the windscreen, so they have a new sensor ready, its likely your local branch havent a clue (mine didnt). New sensor on order!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by kaldoc' post='206079' date='Dec 2 2005, 06:25 AM
Problem solved, there is a mist sensor (also known as a de fogging sensor) in the rear view mirrow cluster . It compares temperature and humidity inside the car to that outside, decides if there is a chance of the front window misting and redirects air accordingly. It is fragile and should be replaced if the windscreen is relaced. If you use Autoglass - ask them to ring their technical division, before replacing the windscreen, so they have a new sensor ready, its likely your local branch havent a clue (mine didnt). New sensor on order!

Wow cool. Look how smart the board is! Something new to learn everyday!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

If you select on the ac dash panel the auto setting: it will be automatic: it means that you cannot regulated the diffusion even whith the I-Drive.

The only thing you can regulate is through the I-drive to set the auto mode in 3 psoitions ranging ? weak to strong. It influences the airflow speed.

But maybe you sensor as been damaged?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='206010' date='Dec 2 2005, 10:13 AM
Merv

There is an a/c TIS document on here somewhere - very informative.

The advanced a/c is massively clever, it has about 6 stages of things it does in a particular order, if it senses condensation forming on the front screen.