Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Collected my 530D

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took delivery at last of my UK 530D on Saturday.

Mystic Blue,
Grey Dakota
Comfort Seats
Advanced Air-Con
Bluetooth
Sport Suspension
Type 124 Wheels
Logic 7
Sport Steering Wheel
Adaptive Headlights

Here are a few of my observations.

The door handles were also in poplar, but the inserts on the steering wheel and the gear lever were still Titanium. Most people who have seen the car, have enthused about the look and feel of the interior, and all were impressed with the quality. The contrast of poplar against the grey with the darker upper surfaces makes the interior feel more upmarket IMHO.

The sport suspension, feels much more in touch with the road than the standard suspension cars I test drove, although it will be too hard and fidgety for those less enthusiastic drivers. This is more pronounced until the tyres warm up.

The car has returned more than 43mpg over the first 400 steady miles I have driven. This was on a mixture of roads and traffic.

The Bluetooth is brilliant, (but get your dealer to set it up, it didn't follow the instructions and had to have the ob-board system reset) if you are in the UK and waiting for the new law on mobiles, this is a must have. It looks an expensive option, but it is very clever and makes phone use on the move a breeze. The voice dialling has been 100% accurate, and the integration into the car perfect. The phone book transfers in a matter of seconds, and then all calling can be done from the wheel. Just waiting for the snap-in adapter.

Logic 7, is just about as good as I have heard in a car, I have spent thousands in the past on ICE, but none has ever sounded quite so complete as this system. If good sound is what you are looking for then its a good option. If its bells and whistles then you may be dissapointed, you get two spatial effects and an equaliser.

I-Drive is not that intuitive, but not that difficult to master either, and virtually all functions are available in the normal way anyway. In general I appreciate I-Drive as it allows you more control over your car which you would never have had before, without adding mountains of buttons to the car for options which can often be set and forgotten about.

Comfort seats don't look as good as sports seats, but are extremely adjustable, and I have rarely felt so comfortable in any chair. With so many adjustments it takes a long time to get them as you would like, but once you are there the results are impressive.

Most people who have seen the car for the first time, say it looks really nice, with some reservations about the high shoulder line, but the word ugly didn't come out once. The car does look very solid though, and you feel very secure in it. Its not the prettiest car in the world, but with the shapes 6-7 year life span, you would expect it to be at its most palletable 2-3 years in, otherwise it will look very dated. We passed an E-Class, and although prettier it looked very dated and rather anonymous. I would worry what it wil look like in a couple of years time.

I will do a few more miles before posting anything about driving dynamics.

Very happy with the car though.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:15 AM
Members

Congrats on the new ride. I assume you are in the UK? (mpg report). BMWUSA has totally screwed up the bluetooth option and will not be ready for ~1 year. They are making available the CPT9000 (same as 7 series), which is not bluetooth but will work through the i-drive. I have ordered it because I need the hands free and cannot wait this long.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:30 AM
Members

Congrats on your new car. I now have 4000mls on mine since Sept. 18th. Like you I am still waiting for the snap in adapter (Nokia) which GB tell me should be available in January. Only minor irritation is rough change down from 2nd to 1st with auto box again software fixed is promised by GB before December.

I do not mind the gear change and steering wheel inserts in Titanium, but the door handles in poplar are good, I think these would look odd in Titanium and spoil the look. Just glad mine was a Sept. build!!

Did you the hi fi speakers come with the logic 7 system?

Happy otoring
Old 11-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SPEUK' date='Nov 10 2003, 08:30 AM
Did you the hi fi speakers come with the logic 7 system?
SPEUK,

Not sure I know what you are asking here, but I think the Logic 7 system comes with 13 Loadspeakers, including two subwoofers under the front seats. It just sounds brilliant

How do you find the performance of yours, and what sort of MPG do you get.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Guest_ISUK

E60 530d,

Glad you're enjoying the car. I'm getting around 37MPG at the moment after around 650 miles (haven't spared the horses but no sustained high revving either). Had my windscree christened twice by flying stones already but they only left irritating small chips. I'm enjoying this car more and more as the days go buy and also enjoying the initial "rarity" value. Stopped by my dealer on Saturday to check on a couple of things I've ordered from the parts dept. and they had about 8 new 5's waiting to go out. I must say that I really don't think the car looks well proportioned when fitted with the standard 16" alloys. It really need the 17" as a minimum IMHO but the 18" defiantely finish it off.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

I agree fully with you on the rims - our E60 with the sports suspension looks kinda wierd with the 16" rims for the studded winter tyres - it is as if they are way to small for the size of the car - however - it does look good, but not that good, compared with the 18" summer wheels.

-paasan
Old 11-17-2003, 01:56 AM
Members

Congratulations. I took delivery of my UK 530D on Friday, and I've put about 300 miles on it on a mixture of roads. The spec is

Silver Grey
Grey Dakota
Advanced Air-Con
Dynamic Drive
Active Steering
Type 122 Wheels
Adaptive Headlights

I previously had a 530d touring, and the difference in the handling is like night and day. the touring always felt like you were throwing it into a corner against an initial resistance, after which it would settle and heave its way through. Also, the car never had quite enough grunt, and the power delivery was always a bit hit and miss, despite having the injectors replaced.

The new car feels more like my old E36 325i - the active steering takes about a day to get used to, after which you turn the wheel intuitively and with a directness at low speed that is unheard of in a large car. There is no lack of feel, and no problem with directional stability at motorway speeds. The dynamic drive produces a car that corners like a much smaller car. And, contrary to some other posts I have seen, you don't need the car to lean like a galleon under full sail in order to feel connected to the car through the twisty stuff. The new (uprated) engine is a lot more powerful, even running in on partial throttle openings. It just pulls like a train from any revs, with very little lag. The closest parallel is to the old 530i V8.

Finally, I don't understand the criticisms of the ride on run flats. UK roads are about as bad as they get, and the ride is the equal of the E39. In fact, my 8 year old son commented on how much smoother it was in the back than the previous car. The only problem is that the car gets slightly more unsettled by mid corner bumps. Of course, it's no MB E-class, but then, that's exactly why I bought it!

The only downside is that I feel the need to be apologetic about the exterior looks. It's not an ugly car, but most conversations have started:
Mate: New car? How do you like it?
Me: Well, it's not the prettiest car on the road, but then, I didn't buy it for its looks.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:24 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, Scotty!

Any chance you could post some photos? It's the same color combo I ordered.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:02 AM
Members

I'll have a go - I've never tried to insert a picture before. If I don't manage to make it work, for what it's worth I think that silver grey is definitely the best exterior colour - the shape seems to lose all definition in both lighter and darker colours. I have no regrets about the interior, either. I specced it with the standard anthracite trim, and the interior works very well, with a consistent and contemporary colour scheme throughout.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Sam
Members

Originally Posted by scotty' date='Nov 17 2003, 04:56 AM
The only downside is that I feel the need to be apologetic about the exterior looks. It's not an ugly car, but most conversations have started:
Mate: New car? How do you like it?
Me: Well, it's not the prettiest car on the road, but then, I didn't buy it for its looks.
Great mini-review!

It is always the same with cars that break away from the mould - they tend to create stark reactions amongst onlookers!

I personally think the car looks just perfect . I believe that someone mentioned this before but this is a shape that is probably going to see at least 5 years of life. Give it a year and people will get more acceptant of the Five's new design.

I had no idea that the ride was supposed to be less smooth with run flat tyres but it would appear from what you?re saying that the difference is minimal or non-existent anyway.

---
Sam

Quick Reply: Collected my 530D