E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my New 530d Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my new UK spec 530d last night, looks fantastic pity about the bad weather here, i'll get more pics at the weekend

After only having a 10 mile test drive and then having 530i loaners a few times I'd forgotten how much better the 530d is, I just love the torque.

I've had a sore back for a few years which I blame on the poor seating arrangment of my old 328ci, offset pedals and a sun roof which made me tilt my head most of the time since I'm 6'3". No worries now though and the comfort seats are fantastic for me, so many things to adjust.

If you get the heated steering wheel it comes with a thicker rim, i actually preferred the standard wheel over the sport but my standard wheel has a thicker rim than normal.

Bluetooth phone is very very good, I didn't realise I was going to get voice activation for the phone system, i'll record a wave file and let you hear it later but it's cool. This also means I don't have any dead buttons on my steering wheel.

Only problem so far is I've spotted a dead pixel on the idrive, it's stuck on white and once you know it's there it's annoying, you think I should complain or let it slide ?

Also the standard air con on uk spec cars is a bit disappointing as it can't control the fan. Nothing I can't live with, just quite basic compared to my 4 year old 328ci.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Members

Congrats! Looking forward to get my own car in a coupe of months.... WRT to the I-drive I think that you should point out the dead pixel and have BMW change the screen. No need to accept a faulty screen on a brand new car!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Members

I would ask your dealer to change the TFT screen, had mine changed a few weeks ago as part of the recall works, this was for a different fault but dealers have been changing screens on a regular basis under the recall.

Had my UK 530dA since launch day and still highly delighted with it after 12,000 miles. A few very minor problems along the way but nothing that has taken the shine off it. Biggest issue was the rough change from 2nd to 1st on the auto box but this was fixed with the new software as part of the recall works. The TFT screens fitted beteween August 14th and September 24th were sensitive to cold weather, slow start up and dim, but I never noticed this problem. My car was built on 25th August.

Still have one small issue..... since the new software was installed the voice activation for the Visteon bluetooth unit has reverted to German, I will get this fixed when it goes in for a service in a couple of months. Also I am still waiting for the Nokia snap in adapter.

Enjoy your new car.

SPE

530dA Silver grey, black leather, FSH, sunroof, 17" 116 wheels, bluetooth, business nav, advanced a/c, poplar wood, cd changer, Hi-Fi speakers.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:40 AM
dvw
Members

Congrats!

I still have to wait for another 6 weeks.
Could you take a pic of the back seats when they are down? And other pics as well

Thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Members

Some chap in the USA had the same issue with his display and BMW North America offered to fix it

(see http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...723771-1.html).

I had my display fixed too to enable the car to "see" the CD changer. It was no big deal.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Members

Yeah I hardly see it during the day, just jumps out at night when there's less light around, I'll probably have a chat with the dealer as he'd agreed to upgrade the software when the mp3 fix comes out.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Regarding the dead pixel...

Don't let anything slide when the car is this new. You may later when the warranty has expired. So stay on BMW to fix every little thing while you can.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Members

GarryF,
Car looks excellent. How about some more pics. If the I drive screen bugs you don't hesitate in demanding a replacement screen.
P.S. What do you think of the seat comfort - find the lumbar padding too prominent on my standard seats.
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 03-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Members

I'm curious about the dead pixel on the iDrive display.
When it came to computer LDC monitors, the standard states that there can be a maximum of 2 defective pixels per million.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

Great looking car!!

This car should be perfect for the price.

Get them to change the idrive screen.

Don't take no for an answer.

Quick Reply: Got my New 530d Last Night