E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A weekend Fling

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I borrowed a 530d for the weekend to really put it through it's paces. This has involved 2 hr round trip to Maidstone en family, weekly shopping, various kids duties and solo blasts round the back lanes.

I currently own an 2003 M3 Coupe so had high standards. My conclusions....

First of all appearence - from concerns over the initial publicity pictures I have fromed an altogether more informed view from first hand experience. I'd describe it as modern, clean, technological (almost bauhaus) and upmarket. In other words I think it is a stunning bit of design that immediately dates other designs, particularly Mercedes Benz who have been shown to be timid and backward looking in their latest models.

Second - that 3 litre diesel engine - it's inexplicably fast yet I found myself wanting more, not more performance per se, but more verve, charisma and exciting sound. It's a damn good engine but I guess that the petrol in my veins misses that 6/8 cyliner roar - blame the M3 for that. Conclusion - I'll have to shell out a load more for the 545i.

Next - the business of options. My car had 16' rims, nice but got to have 18' for the proportions of the car. My car also had smoked glass rear passenger and rear screen. very nice, didn't look gangst -more like discreet celebrity express. So that's the outside sorted.

Inside - got to be auto and leather and auto air con (advanced), that's the baseline. On top of that sat nav would be the popular choice but given that money is now getting tight I reckon I'd get more daily enjoyment out of the Logic 7 Hi-Fi. Then, a little frippery - the sports steering wheel (only ?65). Finally - comfort seats - hummm - yes. Then, sunroof as a final gesture for the inside.

Right then that's a 545i specc'ed de-rigour - blimmey that's about 45k. However, if I'm going to take the plunge I might as well get it right - siuts you sir!

This is my perfect spec car (sat nav excepted) - any suggestions as to how I might improve this - other must have options??

Old 02-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Members

Sounds like u've got most of the options right

Try Xenon lights (if u haven't already) - it's a life changing experience (especially at night for the first time). The adaptive option is not as exciting as it sounds, so leave that alone.

My wife and I are both in love with the SatNav - no longer do we have to look at maps to go to anywhere in the country, or within the county.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:18 AM
520i next week!

Hey bmw525UK - which satnav do you have - business or pro?

Interested in hearing about how people like the business version...

I've been using a pc-based GPS for the last year and needless to say only use it when I need to: and haven't bothered with the mapping - i want it to give me directions to follow a route, not plan the route itself, so hopefully I will be content with the arrows/voice

I ask, if you have the business nav, are you content?
cheers
Old 02-01-2004, 09:20 AM
me again

Further to that, I suspect that lack of a SatNav will, in 3 or 4 years, be a real detriment in terms of resale value... the way it goes now, all cars of this class -and some lower spec also- will have SatNav as standard in the next few years

cheers
Old 02-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by me again' date='Feb 1 2004, 12:20 PM
Further to that, I suspect that lack of a SatNav will, in 3 or 4 years, be a real detriment in terms of resale value... the way it goes now, all cars of this class -and some lower spec also- will have SatNav as standard in the next few years

cheers
Thanks all -

you're supposed to say nah don't need HiFi, don't need sunroof etc and save me some money - sat nav as well - i'll have to donate a major body part.

thing is, I think you're right about the re-sale
Old 02-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Members

Heated seats are a nice option, leather can be really cold in the winter without them and while your at heated steering wheel is nice

Bluetooth would be high on my list, works nicely with the right phone.

As 525UK said Xenons are great, once you've had them in a car you won't want to be without them.

Auto dimming mirrors are not standard so you might want to throw that in too.

What kind of driving do you do ? I ended up forking out extra for the active suspension as I do a lot of driving on twisty back roads to and from work, corning with this suspension is amazing !

Professional Radio option is supposed to allow paying of MP3s, doesn't work yet though but getting added via software upgrade in the next few months. Not sure if this is included with Logic 7 or not, CD Changer is nice too.

I saw some pics of the Hud in action on Roadfly and it looks amazing combined with nav and active cruise control, expensive options though.

So many options to choose from
Old 02-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Members

Xenons are great if you travel outside urban areas. If you drive on twisting country roads now and then, I must say that the adaptive lights makes a huge difference! With the kind of driving I do, I'd never buy one without now that I have tried them!
Old 02-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Contributors

I agree with oreo: adaptive xenons are a must in certain ocasions
Old 02-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

I'd ditch the logic 7 as it will not help resale and add in sat nav and bluetooth which will be options that most 2nd hand buyers of the 545i will expect. Having said that you will lose more on the 545i than any other model come resale anyway so i'd think twice about how much you really need that V8. Look at previous generation 5 series V8 models and get your handkerchief out to deal with those eye watering depreciation figures.

I hav the business sat nav and bluetooth and both are fantastic options. I think the direction arrow on the business nav is actually better than the map on the professional nav as it is less distracting and easy to glance at quickly. The nav DVD rom has an incredible level of detail stored on it.

On the hi-fi front I went for the BMW speaker upgrade and have to say that I find this system more than good enough. Heated seats are also a must and I regret not having gone for the heated steering wheel on some of the cold mornings we had last week.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:02 AM
520i this week!

Thanks for the feedback re the Business Nav, ISUK... your position is the same as mine, particularly having used the PC version (which of course I still have the software, and the internet, for route planning) - actual planning on the little screen in the car isn't the best, imo.

Back to the bus nav - does it show roundabouts as circles with arrows? If so I figure it is all I need.

I am personally sad about the bluetooth: my company policy is zero phone use in the car so I couldn't add BT even purely at my own expense! But I have a Parrot Driveblue now which, with a t68i and other than the mic wire which is a pain, is an absolutely PERFECT solution I would recommend to anyone!

cheers

Quick Reply: A weekend Fling