E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Does your have active steering
YES
73.15%
NO
26.85%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

active steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have it! I think it's good to have AS if you have your e60 mostly city driving, and mostly low-mid speed.

However, if you would take your 5er to track, or always take fast corners, better not having it, cause I found AS is pretty unpredictable unless you are a expert in cornering w/ a e60 w/ AS.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 27 2005, 10:43 AM
Iceman i would really appreciate if you could post some info regarding the increase in safety for the cars with AS for a normal driver. IMO it just complicates things even more...ohhhh big turns, brake, ohhh small turns... But info on this is appreciated!
[snapback]175609[/snapback]

Let's say I am having an accident at a relatively high speed, I turn the steering wheel 1/2 a turn to avoid the accident and I brake at the same time. Now my speed is decreasing........, damn it,....... I now have to decrease the steering wheel angle so as not to hit the man walking on the pavement because the brilliant AS system has now increased the steering ratio. I really don't get it on how this can be safer. I think having AS in an accident will be more confusng than having a normal servotronic steering system.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Hehe, lucky then I didnt go for the active steering
Old 09-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by moema535d' date='Sep 27 2005, 09:25 AM
Maybe they changed the AS 'ratio curve' after my test drives.
[snapback]175601[/snapback]
Probably. There have been some changes with the newer CIP updates.
It feels and handles better today, than when I bought it.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 27 2005, 09:43 AM
Iceman i would really appreciate if you could post some info regarding the increase in safety for the cars with AS for a normal driver. IMO it just complicates things even more...ohhhh big turns, brake, ohhh small turns... But info on this is appreciated!
The new issue of the BMW Magazine has a short article about it, explaining why it increases the safety!

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Sep 27 2005, 12:37 PM
Let's say I am having an accident at a relatively high speed, I turn the steering wheel 1/2 a turn to avoid the accident and I brake at the same time. Now my speed is decreasing........, damn it,....... I now have to decrease the steering wheel angle so as not to hit the man walking on the pavement because the brilliant AS system has now increased the steering ratio.
[snapback]175659[/snapback]
Nope.
That's NOT how it works!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 27 2005, 02:10 PM
[quote name='moema535d' date='Sep 27 2005, 09:25 AM']Maybe they changed the AS 'ratio curve' after my test drives.

The new issue of the BMW Magazine has a short article about it, explaining why it increases the safety!

Let's say I am having an accident at a relatively high speed, I turn the steering wheel 1/2 a turn to avoid the accident and I brake at the same time. Now my speed is decreasing........, damn it,....... I now have to decrease the steering wheel angle so as not to hit the man walking on the pavement because the brilliant AS system has now increased the steering ratio.
Nope.
That's NOT how it works!
[snapback]175879[/snapback]
[/quote]
Then how does it work? Can anyone from this forum enlighten me on how AS makes the car safer in a possible accident with a normal driver?
I don't think i'll put my hands so soon on a bmw magazine...it's not like this magazine is sold out world-wide...
Old 09-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 27 2005, 03:13 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Sep 27 2005, 02:10 PM'][quote name='moema535d' date='Sep 27 2005, 09:25 AM']Maybe they changed the AS 'ratio curve' after my test drives.

Nope.
That's NOT how it works!
[/quote]
Then how does it work? Can anyone from this forum enlighten me on how AS makes the car safer in a possible accident with a normal driver?
I don't think i'll put my hands so soon on a bmw magazine...it's not like this magazine is sold out world-wide...
[snapback]175981[/snapback]
[/quote]

Active steering is linked into the car's DSC system. As I understand it, AS can intervene if the rear end starts to break away and, working with the yaw sensors and DSC, can apply some level of correction to the effective steering angles if the rear breaks loose. DSC keeps most of that under control but AS can also make some contribution to the effort. The car won't steer for you, but will assist in the process. I have read articles that suggest that the system only intervenes when the car is at or beyond stable limits. Also look at the videos on BMW's website showing an AS vs non AS car running through a slalom course. The driver input can be much less on an AS equipped car which can aid control. Key thing is that all of this is pretty seamless. At high speeds I'd suggest the "road feel" between an AS car and a non-AS car is to close to call (I have driven both), but to me, the AS equipped car feels more direct at all speeds. It's there when you need it. The testament, for me, on how good AS is that you don't notice it much in use - until you drive a non-AS car (E60 or otherwise) then you miss it instantly.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Sep 28 2005, 12:29 AM
Active steering is linked into the car's DSC system.? As I understand it, AS can intervene if the rear end starts to break away and, working with the yaw sensors and DSC, can apply some level of correction to the effective steering angles if the rear breaks loose.? DSC keeps most of that under control but AS can also make some contribution to the effort.? The car won't steer for you, but will assist in the process.? I have read articles that suggest that the system only intervenes when the car is at or beyond stable limits.? Also look at the videos on BMW's website showing an AS vs non AS car running through a slalom course.? The driver input can be much less on an AS equipped car which can aid control.? Key thing is that all of this is pretty seamless.? At high speeds I'd suggest the "road feel" between an AS car and a non-AS car is to close to call (I have driven both), but to me, the AS equipped car feels more direct at all speeds.? It's there when you need it.? The testament, for me, on how good AS is that you don't notice it much in use - until you drive a non-AS car (E60 or otherwise) then you miss it instantly.
[snapback]175991[/snapback]
Yep.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:31 PM
JDN
Contributors

Yep, yep!
Old 09-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Sep 27 2005, 05:29 PM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 27 2005, 03:13 PM'][quote name='Iceman' date='Sep 27 2005, 02:10 PM'][quote name='moema535d' date='Sep 27 2005, 09:25 AM']Maybe they changed the AS 'ratio curve' after my test drives.

Nope.
That's NOT how it works!
[/quote]
[snapback]175981[/snapback]
[/quote]

Active steering is linked into the car's DSC system. As I understand it, AS can intervene if the rear end starts to break away and, working with the yaw sensors and DSC, can apply some level of correction to the effective steering angles if the rear breaks loose. DSC keeps most of that under control but AS can also make some contribution to the effort. The car won't steer for you, but will assist in the process. I have read articles that suggest that the system only intervenes when the car is at or beyond stable limits. Also look at the videos on BMW's website showing an AS vs non AS car running through a slalom course. The driver input can be much less on an AS equipped car which can aid control. Key thing is that all of this is pretty seamless. At high speeds I'd suggest the "road feel" between an AS car and a non-AS car is to close to call (I have driven both), but to me, the AS equipped car feels more direct at all speeds. It's there when you need it. The testament, for me, on how good AS is that you don't notice it much in use - until you drive a non-AS car (E60 or otherwise) then you miss it instantly.
[snapback]175991[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nice to know that...it's another reason i don't want as.
Last thing i need is a "steering nanny" that may even interrupt/or cut in when doing superb slides with the dsc off. Where is all the fun in that? Maybe the AS doesn't get in when the dsc is off. Niceee.... buuut i reaaaaally doubt someone would make such a colosal mistake with the dsc on to make the car steer almost by itself and correct the way. One would have to steer ridiculosly hard at HIGH speeds 160 km/h + to make the car unstable with the dsc on. LOL Someone has to post some real driving exercise to comment upon this. AS comes with force feed-back just like the computer stuff J/k. We all know that dsc cuts in very soon, so maybe for eg, in an emergency manouver when u need to quickly react to miss an obstacle at the sligthest body distability dsc get's in then, as u say, as gets in and shows u that this is the right way to steer. Missed the obstacle? Dunno...

Interesting also to know that the M5 wich everyone knows it is a beast doesn't have this SAFETY feature. wow!
Old 09-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributors

When the DSC system senses a yaw rate that assumes the car will spin out, active steering will counter steer up to 5 degrees. Active steering can react within 150 milliseconds which is about half the time needed for the brakes to act on one wheel. Active steering is thus the first line of defense against loss of control. *note: this is as of 2004, so not sure if anything has changed.

For myself, I've gone back and forth over AS. At first I thought there was lack of road feel along with a lack of on center feel. Over time and a software upgrade, I've began to appreciate AS, but do wish it could be turned off at times.

If I were in the market today and AS was not grouped with the sports package, I would not opt for it. I do not feel that AS is warranted for the $1K+ that is being asked for it in the e90 as regular old bmw steering is quite good to begin with. Couple that with less road feel and increased price for alignments, the decision over AS is made for me.

AS does provide a good safety margin by countersteering for you, but I feel that it may be dangerous as it can create bad habits. I've gone on a number of canyon runs with the e60 and when the back end comes out a bit, I don't even think about countersteering, I just turn into the corner and maybe modulate the throttle a bit. When you jump into another car however, if a situation were to arise, my first inclination may not be to correct. That would not be good....

Quick Reply: active steering