E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Does your have active steering
YES
73.15%
NO
26.85%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

active steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 28 2005, 02:12 PM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 28 2005, 03:14 AM']"But that fact that BMW left certain features, inc AS, off the M5 spec or option is a redundant argument and in no way is indicative of AS's value as a safety ....feature..." I can't belive this.So Bmw left out a "safety" feature from the m5 just because it's an m5 with little compromises.
[snapback]176062[/snapback]
Well, they have left other safety relevant stuff out as well, such as foglights. ACC is also no option on the Emmy...

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Sep 28 2005, 04:23 AM
I think you're still really comparing apples to oranges.
[snapback]176100[/snapback]
Yes, he is!

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Sep 28 2005, 12:36 PM
I think the poll speaks for it's self...?
[snapback]176274[/snapback]
Yep!
[snapback]176486[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh come on man, i think we settled this. Can u compare some stupid foglights with AS at the safety chapter? It's like comparing DSC to the rain sensor! If the safety feature is true and works like a charm it should have been on the M5 or at least smth similar. Give me some good examples of other stuff that the E60 has it and the M5 doesn't have (at the safety chapter). I repeat SAFETY!!! Foglights as a safety option ahahahaha. U really made me laugh.
I didn't know acc was no option on the m5. Have to check on this cuz i could have sworn i saw the indicator when i test drove the car.
And please try to relate things that are really there for the permanent safety.Like dsc. So from what i heard as works in conjunction with dsc and keeps an eye on how's the car handling. ACC only works if you set it and always turn it on. DSC WORKS ALL THE TIME, same as AS (from ur point of view).

Take the example i gave: u are speeding at about 160km/h and suddenly a dog or whatever smth that appers from nowhere. In this situation all the systems are there for you like ABS,DSC, AS . What's that got to do with foglights or ACC?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Red face

BMW M feels that it?s got too much artificial feel for a sports car!

Better road feeling without AS! Better feedback from the steering without AS!
I think this is the best explanation from cidar in the other topic. And it is also my point of view.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

So the M5 is about the same car (depending on speed) as the 545... It just accelerates faster..., etc...
Iceman this is the quote from the other topic.

SO much for comparing apels with oranges huh?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

I suspect that another reason that AS is deleted from the M6 is that AS countersteers for you at the limit, which is something that a skilled driver would want to do for themselves (including selecting the amount of oversteer). With AS, DSC will intervene and control the front wheels for you to regain control of the car. A M6 driven on the track would appear to DSC as if it was frequently on the verge of over- or under-steer, and (with AS) DSC would attempt to intervene and steer into the (perceived) skid. Also, please note that AS can not be turned off on the 5 or 6, so this is not an option. It's always going to intervene. Clearly this "computer knows better" intrusion is not the kind of maximum sports car behaviour that BMW would want in the M5/M6.?
and another one:

AS actually changes the steering ratio dependant upon the speed. At low speeds, you can completely turn the wheels with 1-1/2 turns of the steering wheel. As speeds increase, the ratio increases until the ratio reaches 3 turns lock to lock. This means that if you turn the steering wheel a certain amount as you are rapidly slowing down (trail-braking into a turn), the amount the front wheels turn in changes as you slow down. This is totally unnacceptable for racing...
And that's about all "I" had to say. first this i am convinced that this wants to be a safety feature. The rest is in the quotes from above...so most of the time no dsc for me, DS and away we go...
Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Do remember though that active steering no longer counter steers when DSC is turned off.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

@BetterMakeWay

We all now have understood that you hate AS with passion.

That's OK, it's your opinion. Period.

If you don't understand or want to understand how it really works, how good it really is and how it can help in emergencys... it's OK... you don't have it anyways...

So what are you trying here? Trying to create another "foglight" thread?
This is not RF...
Old 09-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 28 2005, 05:17 PM
@BetterMakeWay

We all now have understood that you hate AS with passion.

That's OK, it's your opinion. Period.

If you don't understand or want to understand how it really works, how good it really is and how it can help in emergencys... it's OK... you don't have it anyways...

So what are you trying here? Trying to create another "foglight" thread?
This is not RF...
[snapback]176568[/snapback]
Ok, sorry for being so agressive...
I'm not trying to do anything, i jus tlove a good debate that's all.
Sorry if i offeneded or upset any of the other members.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Sep 27 2005, 10:37 AM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 27 2005, 10:43 AM']Iceman i would really appreciate if you could post some info regarding the increase in safety for the cars with AS for a normal driver. IMO it just complicates things even more...ohhhh big turns, brake, ohhh small turns... But info on this is appreciated!
[snapback]175609[/snapback]

Let's say I am having an accident at a relatively high speed, I turn the steering wheel 1/2 a turn to avoid the accident and I brake at the same time. Now my speed is decreasing........, damn it,....... I now have to decrease the steering wheel angle so as not to hit the man walking on the pavement because the brilliant AS system has now increased the steering ratio. I really don't get it on how this can be safer. I think having AS in an accident will be more confusng than having a normal servotronic steering system.
[snapback]175659[/snapback]
[/quote]
That is a good point. However, afaik the ratio only changes noticeably under about 30mph (or less) so if you are hacking along at 60-70mph and brake this 'effect' won't have a dangerous effect. (Indeed the system can maintain stability in emergency situations) Once below 30mph I hope that any driver would be monitoring the situation (with or without AS!) and make the appropriate inputs - I can't believe you just set your steering and just 'wait'...

It is a matter of taste and I'm in two minds. One minute I love it - low speed parking and turning is a dream... Although, when you're 'pressing on' I think you sometimes notice the 'change' slightly, accelerating through long bends needs driver input. On balance though I don't regret getting it... Jumping into a car without is a chore but I haven't driven a 5 without it...

I don't claim to be a great driver so I think it probably increases safety for the majority - same theory as DSC, ABS etc...