E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Does your have active steering
YES
73.15%
NO
26.85%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

active steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 26 2005, 02:02 PM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 26 2005, 04:56 AM']Why we can't compare the m5 with the e60? ...

...If AS would have been sooo much great and make the car handle better or for safety situations or anything you want that would make the car overall better, it would have been standard for the M5 or maybe the M departament would have made modds to make an M AS.
[snapback]174919[/snapback]
Well, the Emmy is more a sports car than a luxury sedan. So much for comparing apples and oranges.

Anyways, the M steering is not the regular steering, it's an "M steering", so you have given the answer yourself... They have indeed an M steering, what is better in a sports car.
And YES, it's a fact that AS is better in emergency situations for the regular driver in regular driving conditions, what is NOT track!
[snapback]175254[/snapback]
[/quote]
Who said the e60 si a luxury sedan? I thought it tries to be the combination between good luxury, super performance and the room of a sedan in it's class. If this is a luxury sedan then what's the E class or audi A6? You can tell from the design that this car wants to be first sport and than luxurious! Hell it's the theme of bmw "ultimate driving machine". So it's all about driving. The M5 is just the top gun of the class (and of course more sporty). And with he new 550i out the edge between m5 and e60 5 series has shrinked even more.
It's not what MB tryes to make out of luxurious line models with their amg departament.
Of course the M steering is not the regular one but my point is that they tend to improve even more the sharp steering in the e60 (sharp in my point of view) not improve the AS and offer it as standard. Why doesn't bmw offer an M AS for the M5 standard or optional? Because it doesn't need it...just improve an already sporty steering and u get an super sporty steering fit for a super sporty car.
That's what i tryed to say...in the end...anyway it's just my point of view and some of the press.

Like i said before the only good thing of AS is at parking. That's it. You don't have to make alot of wheel turns no more. But at high speed and alot of sharp turns when u steer viciously and harsh sorry give me the normal one. And really i didn't buy a bimmer to say wow what a good parking car it is...i bought it MAINLY to really put a smile on my face on roads that permitt some hard driving (mountain roads, track and so on...). Just my 02 cents!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 26 2005, 02:00 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Sep 26 2005, 02:02 PM'][quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 26 2005, 04:56 AM']Why we can't compare the m5 with the e60? ...

...If AS would have been sooo much great and make the car handle better or for safety situations or anything you want that would make the car overall better, it would have been standard for the M5 or maybe the M departament would have made modds to make an M AS.
[snapback]174919[/snapback]
Well, the Emmy is more a sports car than a luxury sedan. So much for comparing apples and oranges.

Anyways, the M steering is not the regular steering, it's an "M steering", so you have given the answer yourself... They have indeed an M steering, what is better in a sports car.
And YES, it's a fact that AS is better in emergency situations for the regular driver in regular driving conditions, what is NOT track!
[snapback]175254[/snapback]
[/quote]
Who said the e60 si a luxury sedan? I thought it tries to be the combination between good luxury, super performance and the room of a sedan in it's class. If this is a luxury sedan then what's the E class or audi A6? You can tell from the design that this car wants to be first sport and than luxurious! Hell it's the theme of bmw "ultimate driving machine". So it's all about driving. The M5 is just the top gun of the class (and of course more sporty). And with he new 550i out the edge between m5 and e60 5 series has shrinked even more.
It's not what MB tryes to make out of luxurious line models with their amg departament.
Of course the M steering is not the regular one but my point is that they tend to improve even more the sharp steering in the e60 (sharp in my point of view) not improve the AS and offer it as standard. Why doesn't bmw offer an M AS for the M5 standard or optional? Because it doesn't need it...just improve an already sporty steering and u get an super sporty steering fit for a super sporty car.
That's what i tryed to say...in the end...anyway it's just my point of view and some of the press.

Like i said before the only good thing of AS is at parking. That's it. You don't have to make alot of wheel turns no more. But at high speed and alot of sharp turns when u steer viciously and harsh sorry give me the normal one. And really i didn't buy a bimmer to say wow what a good parking car it is...i bought it MAINLY to really put a smile on my face on roads that permitt some hard driving (mountain roads, track and so on...). Just my 02 cents!
[snapback]175307[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you've never had or lived with AS you've really got very little to base this on. AS is fine at all speeds. It's not just for parking, or for "women and limo drivers" as another poster said a few weeks back. If you've lived with AS you would know why those that have it generally seem to love it.

EDIT - most of the press negativity around AS seemed to be on the initial release so AS to a degree got caught up in the general smart ass journalism that seemed to prevail at that time. Updates to the software have made improvements (mine is much better now, i thought it was always good to begin with) and a recent review in the US described an AS equipped car as having "bionic" steering.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:25 PM
HIO
Members

I think AS i really great, I?d love it!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 26 2005, 11:00 PM
Like i said before the only good thing of AS is at parking. That's it.
Nope.

It is a proven fact that it is a safety relevant option.
In emergencys the regular driver can handle the car way better with AS.

In the new issue of the BMW Magazine there is an article about it; and other car manufacturers will follow BMW...
Old 09-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 26 2005, 11:00 PM
i bought it MAINLY to really put a smile on my face on roads that permitt some hard driving (mountain roads, track and so on...).
I drive on mountain roads very often, just for the pleasur of it. And it is a much noticeable difference with AS. The car drives waaaaaaay better with it. Giving you MUCH more fun!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Have it. Love it.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Members

If it had an on/off switch, probably would have ordered it.........but it doesn't.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

After reading the posts so far, it seems that with only one exception, people who have AS seem to really love it. I think that with extended use of the system, the benefits are obvious, especially when zipping through tight and twisty roads.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d, orient blue, Dakota beige, Dynamic Drive, Xenon, Nav Prof, Bluetooth, comfort seats, PDC, curve lights, 135M wheels

Since the mechanical ratio of the AS is speed dependent, does anyone know up to which speed the AS has a 'quicker' ratio than the Servotronic?

As I said in my previous post, the obvious advantage of AS at low and medium speeds wasn't enough for me to accept the decreased response at high speeds compared to the Servotronic. Maybe they changed the AS 'ratio curve' after my test drives.

Also, with AS I felt a little more detached from the road - especially in wet and slippery conditions. A handful of gears controlled by an electric motor activated by a computer executing a code written by a long-haired hacker doesn't exactly INCREASE feedback, does it?

Bernd
Old 09-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by moema535d' date='Sep 27 2005, 02:25 AM
Since the mechanical ratio of the AS is speed dependent, does anyone know up to which speed the AS has a 'quicker' ratio than the Servotronic?

As I said in my previous post, the obvious advantage of AS at low and medium speeds wasn't enough for me to accept the decreased response at high speeds compared to the Servotronic. Maybe they changed the AS 'ratio curve' after my test drives.

Also, with AS I felt a little more detached from the road - especially in wet and slippery conditions. A handful of gears controlled by an electric motor activated by a computer executing a code written by a long-haired hacker doesn't exactly INCREASE feedback, does it?

Bernd
[snapback]175601[/snapback]
Yeah...well maybe it seems all other non-as owners, tested e60s with as before the "miraculous" chip upgrade . I don't know what cip did the car have when i test drove it, nor did i get to "live" with it. How can i live or get used to smth i didn't like in the first place? Anyway...my last post was more about the roots of the M5 steering anyway...
I felt exactly what moema 535d felt and i agree with his statement.
Another reason i didn't get AS is the fact that here the roads aren't good at all, i mean alot of bumps and potholes, and if smth happens to the steering, i know that the dealer won't get it by geometry as sharp as it was from brand new...i had bad exerience with normal steering on my passat and they couldn't fix it flawless...not to mention with a more complex system like AS. And the cost for a geometry with AS is waaay higher.
Iceman i would really appreciate if you could post some info regarding the increase in safety for the cars with AS for a normal driver. IMO it just complicates things even more...ohhhh big turns, brake, ohhh small turns... But info on this is appreciated!

Quick Reply: active steering