E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Does your have active steering
YES
73.15%
NO
26.85%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

active steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 26 2005, 05:56 AM
In the end it also comes to what do you expect your bimmer to be. If you want more "sheer driving pleasure" go less with the computerised stuff, helll TURN THE DSC OFF, if you want more comfort than sport, leave the sport pck alone, don't even bother for the M pack, and get AS and DD and 16 tyres or max 17 and maybe a bavarian gurl on the back seat. Or even better go get a benz!?
[snapback]174919[/snapback]
I could not agree more.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Contributors

Have it........love it......and as long as BMW makes it available I will buy my future BMW's with AS.

After I had driven my 545i for a couple of weeks I went back to my M3 it felt like I was driving a bus. The 545 felt a lot more sporty and fun to drive (even aggressively on turns) than the M3 without AS did.

I think many of you who think that AS is only beneficial for parking have not had an extended time (a few weeks) with an AS car. If you drive it for a few weeks in all sorts of speeds and driving styles you will see that AS is indeed very sporty and responsive.

As I said, I love AS.....but when I think of the reasons why, "ease of parking" isn't even close to the top of my list......there are many other "driving" reasons why I love AS. There are many of us here that have Active Steering AND sports packs, sports suspensions, etc. For us AS enhances the feel of sporty driving, and does not hurt it at all.

Please don't equate AS with "luxury" or "non-sporty"......and for God's sake don't mention it in the same breath as a Benz . The muted steering response and the "bus like" feel of a Benz is much more like a non-AS car than a car with AS . No, I am not comparing the steering of a non-AS BMW to a Benz.....I know better than that,.........but you know what I'm trying to get at.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Had both and prefer non AS car's better high speed response.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 25 2005, 08:55 PM
[quote name='moema535d' date='Sep 25 2005, 09:58 PM']For some reason, the new M5 doesn't have it either. Go figure.
[snapback]174795[/snapback]
Yep, but you CAN NOT compare the Emmy to a regular E60. The Emmy has a total different setup that fits better in a SPORTS car.

Active Steering was last years INNOVATION OF THE YEAR and the other major car manufacturers are working on systems like that now. Go figure!
[snapback]174822[/snapback]
[/quote]
For me it was one of the reasons why I bought my E60... I loved the level of technology available at the time - thus why I have the adaptive headlights... No other car has the available mix of customisation
Old 09-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

I like my active steering, but I wish I had the option of turning it off.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Sep 26 2005, 05:31 PM
I like my active steering, but I wish I had the option of turning it off.
[snapback]175216[/snapback]
Absolutely, but as has been mentioned before an option in iDrive to adjust it to your own preferences
Old 09-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Sep 26 2005, 05:13 AM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Sep 25 2005, 08:55 PM'][quote name='moema535d' date='Sep 25 2005, 09:58 PM']For some reason, the new M5 doesn't have it either. Go figure.
Yep, but you CAN NOT compare the Emmy to a regular E60. The Emmy has a total different setup that fits better in a SPORTS car.

Active Steering was last years INNOVATION OF THE YEAR and the other major car manufacturers are working on systems like that now. Go figure!
[/quote]
For me it was one of the reasons why I bought my E60... I loved the level of technology available at the time - thus why I have the adaptive headlights... No other car has the available mix of customisation
[snapback]175077[/snapback]
[/quote]
Do you know if it turns off if you drive in DS? My wife was driving in DS for a while and it seemed like the steering was a bit more difficult for her.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 26 2005, 04:56 AM
Why we can't compare the m5 with the e60? ...

...If AS would have been sooo much great and make the car handle better or for safety situations or anything you want that would make the car overall better, it would have been standard for the M5 or maybe the M departament would have made modds to make an M AS.
[snapback]174919[/snapback]
Well, the Emmy is more a sports car than a luxury sedan. So much for comparing apples and oranges.

Anyways, the M steering is not the regular steering, it's an "M steering", so you have given the answer yourself... They have indeed an M steering, what is better in a sports car.
And YES, it's a fact that AS is better in emergency situations for the regular driver in regular driving conditions, what is NOT track!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RoadBengal' date='Sep 26 2005, 06:56 PM
[quote name='colejl' date='Sep 26 2005, 05:13 AM'][quote name='Iceman' date='Sep 25 2005, 08:55 PM'][quote name='moema535d' date='Sep 25 2005, 09:58 PM']For some reason, the new M5 doesn't have it either. Go figure.

[/quote]
[snapback]175077[/snapback]
[/quote]
Do you know if it turns off if you drive in DS? My wife was driving in DS for a while and it seemed like the steering was a bit more difficult for her.
[snapback]175252[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hmmm, interesting... I doubt it myself but I'll try it next time I remember - perhaps the programming does change slightly between D & DS? (What about manual cars though?)
Old 09-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

I also got and I love with it, miss it when I don't have it.

That almost sounds like I'm talking about something else

Quick Reply: active steering