DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Internal Remote Boot Release

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys!! Ok, I committed a terrible blunder and need your help desperately. At the time of reading the posts, instructions and directions several times, I was quite confident in carrying out the Boot Release Switch installation. Everything was ready to go, I was almost there, till I committed a terrible blunder-

In the black socket of the Grey box, I found the space where my wire was to go; found wire 43 for the illumination and was going to use the same specified bolt for a good ground.

Now this is where I went wrong- in the socket of where I was to insert my connector (black socket from grey box), I tried to insert the 0.1" PCB connector as specified in the directions. Little did I know, that was not the connector to be inserted and instead the connector I think is a 0.2 - 0.5sqmm pin. The end of it is square and easily slides into the connector. I foolishly thought that I would have to apply some force to get the connector in, as it is after-all a DIY project. Anyways, so I tried to force it in a bit with the help of pliers and kinda screwed it up. It is now stuck in there and impossible to remove. Tried everything- surgical instruments, foreign-body-removal tools, the works! But no luck! :thumbsdown:

So I am here now left with two options- after all this effort; buying the switch; parts; etc, I can either abandon the project for good, or will have to figure out a way to get a hold of a new connector and carefully replace all wires into the new connector. Now, as you know- there are two parts to that connector, right? It connects with a tongue & groove, and then slips into the holder. Would anybody know how I could get a hold of just the one part which I messed up?

Guys I desperately need your help on this. I would love to actually get this project done and would really like to have the Boot Release Switch. Screw up is I am based in Mumbai, India and the dealerships here dont have such small parts and have to be imported specially. I visit Europe and the US a few times a year, so could pick it up there if I know where to get it from.

When i looked at the part, I noted some numbers down. They are as follows: 6906054-03 and then there was another number below that which was: 3 021 25 01

I tried googling them, but no luck. Any idea on whether this is the part number? How can I find out?

Hope to get your help in this regard.

Thanks and looking forward.

Kris
Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Members

Hi Guys,

I tried to do this modification however there was one thing that i forgot to do which was to DISCONNECT the battery before i plug out the black box (the first photo as posted by Alwynmike). When i noticed this, I quickly reconnected the black plug backed in. However, i got an error message about my 'lighting Control' failure. All my lightings are not working now including brake lights and headlights.

I did check the fuse ( no 5,6 & 19) and they are all OK.

Can somebody please help me with this. Really appreciate your help.

Many thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by xifaraind23
Hi Guys,

I tried to do this modification however there was one thing that i forgot to do which was to DISCONNECT the battery before i plug out the black box (the first photo as posted by Alwynmike). When i noticed this, I quickly reconnected the black plug backed in. However, i got an error message about my 'lighting Control' failure. All my lightings are not working now including brake lights and headlights.

I did check the fuse ( no 5,6 & 19) and they are all OK.

Can somebody please help me with this. Really appreciate your help.

Many thanks.

hi guys,

this is finally sorted. what i did was unplug n plug the black box again but this time more tighten. must be a bit loose prevously.

Thanks to all especially Alwynmike for this.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Members

Many thanks for the details on this mod, I managed to do mine today and all is working fine. Great addition, very pleased with it.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:47 AM
New Members

Thanks a lot alwynmike! This is my first post in this forum and I have been looking for this solution for a long time!
I am going to do it soon but now the problem is that it is difficult to get the BMW original switch.

I just want to know had anyone used multimeter to test the original switch connectors if the resistance is 0 ohms when the switch is pressed? If so, I can simply used a normal button switch to replace it, as the LED light is not essential.

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 AM
New Members

Just a update, I went to authorized dealer try to get the switch, but they don't have stock.
End up I used a normal push on switch, connect pin 39 and earth, it is working well. Total cost is 1 dollar.
Thanks Mike again for the contribution!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 AM
New Members

Thanks to AlwynMike!Great DIY!
Switch (original) cost 30? (36,92 USD) in Finland..
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 AM
New Members

This info is a great help. Rang a local workshop and they quoted $200+ and the button had to be ordered in. Went to the local hardware shop and got a simple button for $1.50, heat shrink and canibalised some old PC junk as described in this thread.
Thankyou AlwynMike!

Last edited by philster; 11-20-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 523i Auto

hi guys, just fitted boot release button in my e60 but after reconnecting the battery got airbag / belt tensioner warning. any idea whats wrong?
cheers