DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Homemade Ram Scoop for e60! 545i version 1.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='687198' date='Oct 7 2008, 12:45 AM
... Now if there's a variable switch depending on the speed, the angle of the scoop changes, then we're talking but by then, why don't we just get a supercharger.
Now there's an idea (variable switch @ varying speeds)!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='687198' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:45 PM
it's all marketing. dont get me wrong, i am sure they did lots R&D before finalizing the product but if I made a product with 5 minutes time and made it look very nice, would you spend big money on it? Absolutely not. Remember fluid dynamics and aerodynamics? both very similar concepts and we can picture with liquids a little easier. turbulent flow is not good. You want laminar flow. There's also transitional flow that's in between. In real world life, there's hardly any laminar flow. RPI designed so that there will be less pressure loss and try to pressure the air as much as possible through the tube. There's pressure loss due to friction at all times and with SO MANY 90 degree angles, it will create HUGE turbulent flows. Re=density*velocity*diameter/viscosity. Laminar flow: Re < 2000; Transitional flow: 2000 < Re < 4000; Turbulent flow: Re > 4000. The better the design for air gushing into the tube with more pressure (higher the pressure, the more force it has going through the turbulent flow around bends and friction), the more air it will go into the tube resulting in the air box. That's a main reason why it's angled at 90 degrees rather than 45 degrees. More pressure. This is why it wouldn't work at low speeds. it's useless. Now if there's a variable switch depending on the speed, the angle of the scoop changes, then we're talking but by then, why don't we just get a supercharger.
Awesome! thanks for sharing this. I have to review the Physics Truly it is very interesting to me. I like you mentioned the variable switch.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='685729' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:15 AM
It's not that folks do not understand what a DIY is all about. We do. But the item in discussion here has a primary purpose, which is to increase performance for the engine. RPI has extended themselves in research and development with proven results for their products. Eloy has developed several prototypes and countless adjustments to each product based on their data.

Until you dyno that thing and get some true numbers, it's merely for looks. Don't get me wrong, I do admire your dedication in your effort

True, I don't want to expend more money for tests/dyno, etc... I just made this scoop becasue it is very easy to do (it may gain or not) It does not matter to me. Today a friend told me " That is the coolest mod, what does it?" I replied.... "It adds 50hp!" His jaw almost drops (seems believing it) but I quicky told him I was joking....

For sure, The RPI guys have huge experience for this scoops after all the R&D and their purpose it to sell them to public. I just made it as a hobby. Like it or hate it...

I have made another scoop version 2.0 and will create another thread plus I made a homemade second Air Intake (like Dinan one) and placed 2 scoops!!! Seriously!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yea?? oh yea!? well, i'm just gonna throw one of these behind my grill!

and it can even double as storage for when i need it for my jai alai games!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='683087' date='Oct 1 2008, 03:16 PM
FYI, I hope you have a dynamometer. More than likely you're LOSING power with the homemade scoop. Case in point, keang24 was outfitted with newer and bigger scoops for his M5. Soon thereafter, he did some highway pulls with another M5 and the results were most disappointing. When his M5 was dynoed, he had LOST 20rwhp. So, he put his original scoops back on and regained the 20rwhp. There is a science to making the ram air scoops and homemade ones aren't going to cut it. Good luck in your endeavor.
If re-directing the airflow to the intake box, the air doesnt know its a "rpi scoop" or "diy $2" scoop, point is, air is now being more effectivly redirected, hence improving performance than before. Claims of different size scoops etc is BS in my opinon, as more air, the better is usually the concept. Hence what forced induction theoratically is, MORE AIR. There is no way it makes logical sense an diy scoop if whatever size etc can hinder performance, yes it may not be AS effective because of the certain angles and such, BUT that alone should decrease performance what so ever as I have been reading in a few threads. DYNO graphs etc done by certain companies... well, should say a lot since those companies are selling that specific product and dont want to say, oh lose business? Just for kicks and curiosity, a good friend just had a mustang dyno installed. I am going to run a few tests with and without the DIY scoop and see what happens.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

more air with out more fuel won't add power. When I wanted to put a K&N drop in filter on my motorcycle the shop told me it would loose power with out revised fuel maps as the engine was already set up for maximum efficiency and changing the afr would just through things off. Finding that balance point by just using trial and error could take quite a few attempts to find the tipping point. That being said, i wonder the horsepower is affected at triple digit speeds?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Can we ressurect this thread, please? Looks like a LOT of smart people gave this subject a great start and then the thread sort of died out - no dynos, no driving impressions, no physics facts (beyond John's explanation of airflows)...

So, if our goal is to provide the MOST air to the intake, it would appear that a smooth, round design of a scoop without ANY angles (or as few as possible) will be the most efficient design.

This is not a very good illustration, but I've just drawn a couple of flows - mostly to imagine it for myself.

Homemade Ram Scoop for e60&#33; 545i version 1.2-scoop.jpg

the 3/4 view of the round scoop is useless, but the other two views are views from the top and its pretty easy to see that an angled scoop creates a vortex at the entry point - which IMO is actually the worst possible thing, bc its prevents air from going into the scoop.

Anyone has any opinions?

My hypothesis as of right now is that the round scoop is the best way to go. If anyone in NYC area has a dyno I can use, I'm willing to manufacture several prototypes and test the on my car.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

It looks like "physics" wise that makes sense, but you'd would need some way to actually validate that it provides any change in HP, gain or loss.

Just an idea - What if you were to flare out the edges of the intake part? Help create a little more pressure going in? Dunno just a thought